PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro v. Powerbook?

pauger
05 April 2007, 10:11 PM
My family wants to get my Dad a laptop. He needs at least a 15" screen and he has about 40,000 names. It seems like the only choices are a new, basic MacBook Pro or an older Powerbook (17" G4 1.5GHz 512mb Ram). Is the speed advantage on a new MacBook worth the extra $500? If the difference is negligible, I'd probably stick with an older Powerbook. Any experiences out there?

SGilbert
05 April 2007, 11:05 PM
I just went from a 15" Ti Powerbook 1Mhz to a 17" MacBook Pro 2.33 Mhz, and can only say that the speed increase is noticable, but not dramatic.

A 17" Powerbook will definately "do the trick" Not the latest & greatest, but damn good! Don't hesitate.

Frank
06 April 2007, 12:20 AM
I'd recommend the MacBook Pro.

Just recently, I've been doing some speed tests with Reunion, in house, comparing a G5 2x1.8 GHz PPC Mac with 1 GB of RAM vs. a first-generation Intel iMac with 512 MB of RAM. Many features in Reunion 9 require 1/3 the amount of time on the Intel iMac vs. the G5.

With 40,000 names, I'd spring for the MBP... but I realize, it's your money.

pauger
06 April 2007, 10:58 AM
Thank you guys so much for replying. The info was very helpful.

The Reunion program has brought untold happiness to my family and I'm looking forward to v. 9.

Tom Robinson
06 April 2007, 06:51 PM
Is the speed advantage on a new MacBook worth the extra $500? If the difference is negligible, I'd probably stick with an older Powerbook.
Keep in mind you're not just buying speed but also a greater lifetime for the machine before it's no longer supported by Apple/Leister/whoever.

kmuch
06 April 2007, 07:04 PM
My family wants to get my Dad a laptop. He needs at least a 15" screen and he has about 40,000 names. It seems like the only choices are a new, basic MacBook Pro or an older Powerbook (17" G4 1.5GHz 512mb Ram). Is the speed advantage on a new MacBook worth the extra $500? If the difference is negligible, I'd probably stick with an older Powerbook. Any experiences out there?

I went to a MacBook Pro last May and never looked back. It's blazingly faster than my old G5 PowerPC. My husband's new 2.0GHz baby MacBook (bought last month; 13" screen and only 5 pounds) is even faster. I traded big screen for speed, and only wish I had the $$ for a large screen to attach to my 15" MacBook when it isn't on the road.

Keep in mind that the MacBook Pro has the Intel chip that all future software will be designed for. It will last longer than the PowerPC chip.

Kathleen
The Book Doctor

Paul Reitz
06 April 2007, 10:33 PM
The cost differential might not be as much as you think. Last month, I searched all over for a 1st gen MacBook Pro. Only found one reseller with any; a national certified Apple reseller that had a large number of base model 1st gen MacBook Pro 15" 2 GHz/512 MB for $1349.

They installed an additional 1 GB RAM for ~ $119.

So far, no particular issues. I used to have some OS9 applications that can't be run on the Intel Mac, but can manage without them. Reunion works fine on it, and it's certainly snappier than the old PBG4 TiBook 800 MHz.

-Paul