PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Family File to Flash Card

HolmesRussell
03 April 2007, 07:55 PM
I am having a bit of problem transfering my family file from Applications>Reunion9>Holmes Family to a flash card that I take with me on trips.
I use the flash card, with the Mac I Book, to maintain the family file and than when I return I transfer the file back to the G4.

It will not allow me to drag and drop the file from the reunion folder to the flash card.

What am I missing?

Frank
03 April 2007, 08:59 PM
Most often, we hear about this issue when Reunion is running and the File -> Open window is open. Since the standard File -> Open window looks so much like Finder windows, people get confused, trying to drag something within the File -> Open window.

So, the first thing to do is Quit Reunion -- make sure Reunion is not running -- and then locate the files in the Finder. Then you should be able to drag them anywhere.

If that's not the issue, then let us know more detail regarding "it will not allow me to drag and drop the file?"

HolmesRussell
03 April 2007, 10:33 PM
Frank
I followed your steps and was able to transfer the file to the flash card. But, can not return the file
to the Reunion Files.

Here is what I have, (I believe I must have loaded Reunion 9 incorrectly)

In applications: 3Ball Reunion 9.app
I open it and get Reunion Files (with the following)
Charts
Holmes_Russell9.family file
Reports
Sample Family 9.family file

I have tried to move (drag and drop to the flash card) the Holmes_Russell file, but it does not drag.

So, even if I am able to update the file when I am on a trip, how do I get it back onto my harddrive at home?

Thanks for your help

Frank
03 April 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm confused.
It sounds like you dragged the file to the flash card...I followed your steps and was able to transfer the file to the flash card...But then you said...I have tried to move (drag and drop to the flash card) the Holmes_Russell file, but it does not drag...So, whichever you can't do (drag to the flash drive, or drag from the flash drive), do you get any kind of warning/message from the Mac OS?

HolmesRussell
03 April 2007, 11:08 PM
Using your instructions and using the Finder, I searched for the Holmes_Russell file and found it, and that is the one that I was able to drag and drop to the flash card. Not from the Reunion Files in applications.

Open the Family file in the flash card and made a couple of trial entries. Closed it, and than I tried to drag and drop it into the Reunion Files in Applications on the hard drive. It does not drag and drop.

I get nothing from Mac telling me I am doing anything improper.

The Reunion 8 family files can still be moved betweeen the hard drive and the flash card. So, I am assuming I did something incorrectly when I loaded 9 and updated it with 9.3.

I am at a loss, which I normally am.

STEVE
04 April 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm confused.
It sounds like you dragged the file to the flash card...But then you said...So, whichever you can't do (drag to the flash drive, or drag from the flash drive), do you get any kind of warning/message from the Mac OS?

Step #1: Reformat the flash drive to Mac (vs. PC) format. That should cure all problems and make the drive compatable with normal operating proceedures...

STEVE

HolmesRussell
04 April 2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Steve
The flash drive is formatted Mac Standard, I double checked it just now to ensure that it is.

Would you recommend that it be reformatted?

STEVE
05 April 2007, 07:34 PM
Hi Steve
The flash drive is formatted Mac Standard, I double checked it just now to ensure that it is.

First thing I do is reformat a new flash drive using the disk utility. I use "Erase" and usually set it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I name the "drive" and zap it. I have found some flash drives that need to be reformatted two or three times before it truly "catches". I don't know why, but certain flash drives are just that way. Once they do a proper reformat, they seem to be good forever. Your choice of course, but any time I'm having trouble with a file, reformatting the flash drive almost always cures the problem. I bought one flash drive that just never seemed to accept the new format. I cured that problem with my framing hammer. Again, your choice. I've always got several of the things laying around (we use them to transfer data securely). If one doesn't work, I just try another. If that works the first drive is marked with a removable label and then reformatted. Any further problems and out comes the framing hammer. I've had the same sort of problems transferring files and reformatting the flash disk has almost always rectified the problem.

STEVE

SVass
06 April 2007, 12:03 PM
Side notes as the original poster indicated that he save his files in the APPLICATION folder on his hard drive. Save your file in your USER/~ folder and NOT your APPLICATION folder. It is far safer there and can easily be backed up. Secondly, when copying a file from one device or folder to another, always press the OPTION key down as this forces the system to do a copy and sometimes resolves problems such as yours. sam

Bill Williams
06 April 2007, 01:20 PM
Hi Holmes,

Hi Steve

It's been my experience that when given the option you should always format flash drives (and others) as Mac OS Extended -- I =think= that's the correct term. FWIW, as I understand it nearly all flash drives, etc. come formatted for PCs.