PDA

View Full Version : UK census source

rspoonz
03 April 2007, 05:09 AM
After the great advice I got from my 'UK GRO Source' post I though I'd give it a try for UK Census sources.

Does anyone have a tried and tested format for a UK census source?

Thanks.

Frank Mitchell
03 April 2007, 07:41 PM
My Source Fields are set up so that, if I choose to exclude the Free-Form text from endnotes, a reader could still find the source for himself.

Date: [1901 census]
Locality: [Manchester LAN Ancoats]
Piece no: [RG 13/****]
Folio no:
ED no:
Page no:
Location of source:
Date Viewed:

Although nowadays the last two are probably not as useful as they used to be

In the Free-Form area, I have...

Sched no: ***
The address (if any)
Then an exact copy of the census info except that any 'ditto' entries are replaced with the actual information. Spelling errors are included.
Each person living at the address is on a separate line and the info in each field is comma separated. Empty fields are filled in with a '-'.

When I originally set the free form area up this way, I had in mind the possibility that I might want to copy the family list to a sortable spreadsheet some time in the future. So far I have never done this, but I continue for consistency.

HTH,
Frank

John Hill
04 April 2007, 04:43 AM
After the great advice I got from my 'UK GRO Source' post I though I'd give it a try for UK Census sources.

Thanks.
I have, I suspect, hundreds of citations to census returns. If each of these had a unique source, they would be quite unmanageable.
I have ONE source for each census year, which contains (for example):
Title: 1871 census
Locality: Public Records Office, RG10
Date: Sunday 2 April 1871
The individual reference is then added to the detail field of ech citation, as:
Piece 4688 f 22 p 37
That's all anyone needs to trace the original.
I'm much pleased by the ability to search source detail fields added in Reunion 9. This means that I can find all the people on a given census page - a facility sorely missed in Reunion 8 and earlier.
John.

rspoonz
04 April 2007, 12:42 PM
I have, I suspect, hundreds of citations to census returns. If each of these had a unique source, they would be quite unmanageable.
I have ONE source for each census year, which contains (for example):
Title: 1871 census
Locality: Public Records Office, RG10
Date: Sunday 2 April 1871
The individual reference is then added to the detail field of ech citation, as:
Piece 4688 f 22 p 37
That's all anyone needs to trace the original.
I'm much pleased by the ability to search source detail fields added in Reunion 9. This means that I can find all the people on a given census page - a facility sorely missed in Reunion 8 and earlier.
John.

Why would having hundreds of sources cause problems? This was the way I did things in TMG and it always worked fine for me.

theKiwi
04 April 2007, 01:07 PM

I have hundreds of sources from the Scottish OPR - each one has its own number, so that I have over 2000 sources in my family file.

The reason for this is simply that each source has potentially an image file that can be associated with it - either as a print out in my ever increasing array of ring binders, or linked to the source in Reunion now, or on my TNG web site. Initially the printouts are often just the index entry from the IGI search at FamilySearch.org or search results pages from ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk, but since this year the OPR images are available online now making them very accessible.

To me it would be unmanageable to have a single source that said Scottish OPR and then attempt to manage linking hundreds of images to that source.

Teh same thing applies to census records - I have a source number for each census record I've found, so that I can uniquely identify the printouts filed by Source number and link them up to the Source in Reunion and TNG.

Roger

MabryBenson
04 April 2007, 07:25 PM
Why would having hundreds of sources cause problems? This was the way I did things in TMG and it always worked fine for me.

Because repeating the same source hundreds of times, albeit with differrent source numbers, creates huge report documents. I once received from someone a Word document which was huge about a family. It took an incredibly long time to download and process. And it was because he referenced the same souce every name, but each with a new footnote number - which ended up to be a couple of thousand. Half of each page was a repeated listing of that same source. It was all time consuming, and just annoying to look at visually.

It is handy to be able to recognize repeated source reference -"Ah, #5 - Obituary."

John Hill
05 April 2007, 08:05 AM
I have hundreds of sources from the Scottish OPR - each one has its own number, so that I have over 2000 sources in my family file.

The reason for this is simply that each source has potentially an image file that can be associated with it - either as a print out in my ever increasing array of ring binders, or linked to the source in Reunion now, or on my TNG web site. Initially the printouts are often just the index entry from the IGI search at FamilySearch.org or search results pages from ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk, but since this year the OPR images are available online now making them very accessible.

To me it would be unmanageable to have a single source that said Scottish OPR and then attempt to manage linking hundreds of images to that source.

Teh same thing applies to census records - I have a source number for each census record I've found, so that I can uniquely identify the printouts filed by Source number and link them up to the Source in Reunion and TNG.

Roger
I appreciate your point, and that made by rspoonz. But Mabry Benson also makes a good point.

However, I do tend to keep an image on my computer and a printout of at least the more important census returns. They live in computer folders on my HD and in physical folders in my "office", one per census; the returns are arranged in logical order (i.e. by piece, folio and page). So it's no trouble to refer back to either the electronic or the paper copy from the reference in the Family File - as I sometimes do.

The branch of my family I'm disentangling at the moment were concentrated in a small area of Sheffield (Park) and families appear several to a census page or on adjacent pages. It's interesting to see how much - or little - they moved around in this village within a city. It's also interesting to discover that in many cases they stayed put from census to census, but the house numbers (and in some cases street names) changed underneath them.