PDA

View Full Version : Possible 10.3.9 problems

Kathleen Larson
23 April 2005, 12:38 AM
Just a "heads up" for fellow Reunionites.

I downloaded the 10.3.9 update this week... and this evening, my daughter discovered she could not access her user account. :eek: I couldn't get into her sister's account either. My "administrator" accounts were fine though (I have two--an extra in case of emergency).

After doing a lot of poking around, repairing permissions, testing (thinking "What on earth happened?")... I decided to check out the discussions at apple.com...

Hmmm... seems to be connected to 10.3.9 update (and there seem to be other glitches, too--there are several posts regarding this update and seemingly-related problems [see www.apple.com>support>discussions>Mac OS X v10.3 Panther>Installation and Setup]).

Was able to "fix" the problem by changing kids' accounts from "managed" (i.e., restricted) to "standard" (unrestricted).

Not sure what, if any, other issues might come up--just wanted to let you know to pause and think before you automatically hit the download button for this update. Right now, I'm wishing I'd stuck with 10.3.8, but perhaps this is the only problem that I'll have to deal with. (Fingers crossed!)

Al Cooper
23 April 2005, 09:09 AM
I had a problem running Norton LiveUpdate after I updated to Mac OS X v10.3.9. Apparently there were problems with java applications and java-enabled websites when using Safari. Yesterday I clicked on Software Update and downloaded and installed Java Update for Mac OS X v.10.3.9 and that fixed the problem.

Kathleen Larson
23 April 2005, 11:49 AM
Apparently there were problems with java applications and java-enabled websites when using Safari. Yesterday I clicked on Software Update and downloaded and installed Java Update for Mac OS X v.10.3.9 and that fixed the problem.
Aha... that might explain some weird stuff happening (or rather, not happening) when I was surfing recently... I also installed the Java Update (hoping to goodness that it is okay!).

Ah... live and learn... I remember sage advice in the past from more computer-savvy Reunionites than I am... something to the effect of "don't rush to be first in line for updates... let others check it out for you first." Next time I won't just remember that advice... I'll follow it! :o

So far, nothing else "major" seems to be happening--that's good. (And, yes, my fingers are still crossed!)

jshaneman
27 April 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi,
This is my first post, please bear with me.
I noticed after updating to 10.3.9 or maybe even the newest Reunion 8.06 that every time I open my family file that if I move from Source (me) to say my father then it 1) takes up to 30 seconds of the computer working 100% and then 2) it makes my father as source who is married to my wife.
If I go and check out my GGG grandfather then it is OK and things move right along, only when I am at or close to source.
Any one having that prolem?
Thanks
john

Michael
28 April 2005, 02:13 PM
I noticed after updating to 10.3.9 or maybe even the newest Reunion 8.06 that every time I open my family file that if I move from Source (me) to say my father then it 1) takes up to 30 seconds of the computer working 100% and then 2) it makes my father as source who is married to my wife.
If I go and check out my GGG grandfather then it is OK and things move right along, only when I am at or close to source.Hi John,

The problem is likely due to a broken multimedia link. When Reunion is unable to locate and display a picture on the family card, it searches through your pictures folder for the missing picture. As a result, you will see a bit of a slowdown during the search.

To fix the problem, you'll need to make sure that the pictures you've designated for those people exist in the correct location. This should take care of the problem.

jshaneman
02 May 2005, 11:42 PM
The problem is likely due to a broken multimedia link. When Reunion is unable to locate and display a picture on the family card, it searches through your pictures folder for the missing picture. As a result, you will see a bit of a slowdown during the search.

To fix the problem, you'll need to make sure that the pictures you've designated for those people exist in the correct location. This should take care of the problem.Michael,
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if that is the problem.
Seems that when I open Reunion and go to my "All the families" it opens with me (source) then if I click on say my father, there is a 30-50 second time lag before anything happens and then my father is now married to my wife! If I continue going back it happens to my G grandfather and then everything is fine, quickly I can move between names and such. Things do eventually go back to where they should be but only if I force quit the program and start again // but // I have to go in about 4 generations to be able to move quickly amoungst the names. I have no Multimedia pictures or movies in the files.
thanks for any help tho.
john