PDA

View Full Version : Reunion GEDCOMS into FTM files?

Pat Bell
20 March 2007, 12:38 PM
I created a GEDCOM from one of my files and sent it to a cousin who uses Family Tree Maker. He reported he had a huge number of "errors" in opening my file -- too much information. One objection apparently was to the use of quotation marks around a part of a given name, e.g. Henry Cleveland "Cleve"

I have understood from genealogy experts that that is a proper way of indicating how the individual was called. Is that correct? If not, what should I do?

Apparently, too, FTM can't handled a lot of information in the Notes segment of the data (e.g., the comment area following a date (birth or death) and place of)

Have any of you run into this sort of thing? I'd like to make easy to transmit my info, but I also use the various areas (notes, etc., for just that).

Thanks

theKiwi
20 March 2007, 01:36 PM
I created a GEDCOM from one of my files and sent it to a cousin who uses Family Tree Maker. He reported he had a huge number of "errors" in opening my file -- too much information. One objection apparently was to the use of quotation marks around a part of a given name, e.g. Henry Cleveland "Cleve"

I have understood from genealogy experts that that is a proper way of indicating how the individual was called. Is that correct? If not, what should I do?

Apparently, too, FTM can't handled a lot of information in the Notes segment of the data (e.g., the comment area following a date (birth or death) and place of)

Have any of you run into this sort of thing? I'd like to make easy to transmit my info, but I also use the various areas (notes, etc., for just that).

Thanks

I don't know about the quotes in the names, but the Notes - what is called the Memo in Reunion - problem is because FTM doesn't have as many fields as Reunion, or many other software packages use - just one of the limitations I'm aware of with Family Treemaker.

Maybe your cousin could be persuaded to look at one of the other packages, like Legacy, or Family Historian, or Ancestral Quest or , or , or

Roger

kyuck
20 March 2007, 03:25 PM
I created a GEDCOM from one of my files and sent it to a cousin who uses Family Tree Maker. He reported he had a huge number of "errors" in opening my file -- too much information. One objection apparently was to the use of quotation marks around a part of a given name, e.g. Henry Cleveland "Cleve" ...snip...
Thanks
Did you use the Macintosh GEDCOM Character Set when exporting the GEDCOM?
Most Windows applications do not like Macintosh quotation marks.
UTF-8 seems to work ok.

Pat Bell
21 March 2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know about the quotes in the names, but the Notes - what is called the Memo in Reunion - problem is because FTM doesn't have as many fields as Reunion, or many other software packages use - just one of the limitations I'm aware of with Family Treemaker.

Maybe your cousin could be persuaded to look at one of the other packages, like Legacy, or Family Historian, or Ancestral Quest or , or , or

Roger

I don't know whether he'd be willing to try one of the other apps.

But your comment that it's the Memo bit that is gumming up the works -- that's very helpful and I can adjust my stuff to that. Thanks ever so!!!

And happy hunting.

Pat

Pat Bell
21 March 2007, 09:36 PM
UTF-8 seems to work ok.

Ah ha! That could be. I really don't remember whether I used the Mac GEDCOM set or not. Maybe I should just remember to make a shift when I send. Thank you!

I'm sorry -- I'm a bit dense -- what's UTF-8?

Bob Goode
21 March 2007, 09:55 PM
Ah ha! That could be. I really don't remember whether I used the Mac GEDCOM set or not. Maybe I should just remember to make a shift when I send. Thank you!

I'm sorry -- I'm a bit dense -- what's UTF-8?

All I know, is that it is an encoding standard (I hope I used the right term)

However, it is now becoming the way alot of web pages and emails are sent.

I think the UTF-8 refers to text characters and how they are delivered and is definitely cross platform.

Bob

Pat Bell
23 March 2007, 03:29 PM
UTF-8 seems to work ok.

I re-ran the GEDCOM to my cousin; I had eliminated some of the quotation marks, but mainly I changed the Character set. That made a big difference, he tells me.

Thanks!

fmlyhntr
11 August 2008, 09:55 AM
Outside of not including the notes, is there a way of making them more acceptable for FTM users? I too recently had problems sending a file, and I know I sent it in windows character set. Would sending it in UTF-8 have been better? I sent about 100 individuals out of my bigger file.

Christina

AlainFarhi
11 August 2008, 07:49 PM
Every month I send a gedcom of my 99,000 names to FTM users. I have not had any problems for years.

First, I make sure that there is no commas [","] in the firstname field. I do a global replace on a copy of the file.
Second, I export the Reunion data base into a gedcom using the Macintosh Character set. I exclude a few fields during the export for privacy reasons.
The gedcom file (12MB) is then zipped down to a manageable 3MB.

Alain Farhi

Les Fleurs de l'Orient
http://www.farhi.org

John Hill
12 August 2008, 04:50 AM
Every month I send a gedcom of my 99,000 names to FTM users. I have not had any problems for years.

First, I make sure that there is no commas [","] in the firstname field. I do a global replace on a copy of the file.
Second, I export the Reunion data base into a gedcom using the Macintosh Character set. I exclude a few fields during the export for privacy reasons.
The gedcom file (12MB) is then zipped down to a manageable 3MB.

Alain Farhi
I, too, have had success using the Macintosh character set. Two minor precautions in constructing the GEDCOM seem to help:
1. Create the GEDCOM with a line length of 255 characters. This seems to eliminate the memo problem (FTM doesn't lile the way Reunion splits memos)
2. Make sure there are no tab characters in the GEDCOM. This can be done in a text editor after creating it.

I have sometimes found that FTM will not read GEDCOMs that have returns only as the end-of-line symbol (this is in flagrant contravention of the GEDCOM standard), but I think the most recent version corrects this. However, I do tend to add linefeeds when I remember to, just in case.