PDA

View Full Version : UK GRO source

rspoonz
19 March 2007, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have a tried and tested format for a UK GRO (birth, marriage, death) source?

Should I have one source type for births, one for marriages and one for deaths?

martha
20 March 2007, 03:00 AM
Does anyone have a tried and tested format for a UK GRO (birth, marriage, death) source?

Every event should have its own source. I formulated my information for GRO as a URL death source, for instance, as follows:

author: UK GRO death certificates
title: All England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2004
URL: Ancestry.co.uk

In the details field I put the information specific to that individual [death certificate number, book and so forth.]

Martha

John Hill
20 March 2007, 06:09 AM

It's very much a matter of personal preference. I use one generic source for all GRO Index references:
Title: General Register Office Indexes
Media Type: Microfiche, FreeBMD, etc.

As suggested by Martha, I then use a reference (based on, because derived from, the FreeBMD format):
Births Dec 1867, Sheffield 9c 385.

As you are probably aware, it's possible to download data from FreeBMD in a format suitable for direct opening by Excel, and it's easy to construct a formula in the latter along the lines of:
=B2&" "&C2&" "&E2&", "&I2&" "&K2&" "&L2
which (with suitable column identities) gives the format I use ready for copy and paste.

rspoonz
20 March 2007, 08:40 AM
It's very much a matter of personal preference. I use one generic source for all GRO Index references:
Title: General Register Office Indexes
Media Type: Microfiche, FreeBMD, etc.

As suggested by Martha, I then use a reference (based on, because derived from, the FreeBMD format):
Births Dec 1867, Sheffield 9c 385.

As you are probably aware, it's possible to download data from FreeBMD in a format suitable for direct opening by Excel, and it's easy to construct a formula in the latter along the lines of:
=B2&" "&C2&" "&E2&", "&I2&" "&K2&" "&L2
which (with suitable column identities) gives the format I use ready for copy and paste.
So when you get a copy of say a birth certificate do you add another source for that?

Rauser
20 March 2007, 11:26 PM
So when you get a copy of say a birth certificate do you add another source for that?
That's exactly what I do. I have separate sources for the BMD Index entries and their corresponding certificates (added when they arrive sometime later).

To facilitate quick entry for these sources, I duplicate an existing source that is very similar to what I want to create (i.e.-same location and type). Then I can just add the correct details for the respective person.

The whole process takes just a few seconds to set up, I can usually do it while the index images are downloading from FreeBMD. And the great thing with Reunion 9 is these can be attached directly to the source too!

-Chris

martha
21 March 2007, 03:09 AM

I, personally, do not. I remove the GRO source, which, after all, was only a pointer to the real thing: the actual certificate.

Martha

rspoonz
21 March 2007, 04:39 AM
Changing the subject slightly.

Do you (any of you) attach a scan of the certificate to the source or just keep a reference to the paper copy?

Frank Mitchell
21 March 2007, 05:11 AM
FWIW, I have a structured source called Civil Registration.

The Structured Fields are -

Type [Birth, Marriage, or Death registration, or certificate]
Name [Person or person's name(s)]
Date [Registration Date - not birth or death date]
GRO ref [e.g. 1854 Sept Qtr, Birkenhead 8a 351]

The same source is changed to a certificate source when (if) I get the certificate.

All the information on the certificate itself is typed into the Free-Form area. So, if I choose to Exclude from Endnotes, the reader still knows where to find the source for himself.

I leave fields empty if I don't have or don't need the information - they do not show in a report.

Each to his own.

John Hill
21 March 2007, 06:52 AM
Yes - each certificate has its own private source, which shows the type of certificate and the individual(s) name(s), the certificate references (year, file number, subdistrict, district) and whether it is an original or a scan or photocopy.
So it looks like:
Title: Birth Certificate - Irene E Hill
Date: 1902
Locality: Handsworth, Stafford
File Number: 279
Register: West Bromwich
Media Type: Original
(I can use this because Irene died in 1909).
In a report, this comes out as:
NN.

rspoonz
21 March 2007, 01:50 PM
FWIW, I have a structured source called Civil Registration.

The Structured Fields are -

Type [Birth, Marriage, or Death registration, or certificate]
Name [Person or person's name(s)]
Date [Registration Date - not birth or death date]
GRO ref [e.g. 1854 Sept Qtr, Birkenhead 8a 351]

The same source is changed to a certificate source when (if) I get the certificate.

All the information on the certificate itself is typed into the Free-Form area. So, if I choose to Exclude from Endnotes, the reader still knows where to find the source for himself.

I leave fields empty if I don't have or don't need the information - they do not show in a report.

Each to his own.
What fields do you have in your certificate source?

Frank Mitchell
21 March 2007, 08:27 PM
What fields do you have in your certificate source?
I use the same Source Type for both.

An index source will usually have a blank Date field because all the Civil indexes are by quarters. The Free-Form window might have a justification note such as "This is the only death listed of a Fred Bloggs of about the right age in Lancs 1850-1855".

When I get the certificate later, I open the same source, change the Type field to certificate, fill in the Date field and type all the information from the certificate into the Free-Form window.

I sometimes leave the original index info behind too. Although this is probably unnecessary once I have the certificate, it does no harm.

Tom Robinson
21 March 2007, 10:01 PM
Do you (any of you) attach a scan of the certificate to the source or just keep a reference to the paper copy?
I scan all physical family history documents I receive (except for books which are too much of a mission, so I pick & choose on those).

This means the documents are always available (my laptop accompanies me, my piles of paper don't), they don't wear out from handling, are more accessible, and of course are copied in case of fire/theft/flood/etc.

Backing up (side-track): everything on our computers is backed up daily with regular copies taken offsite. So once anything is scanned it's automatically copied offsite too.

Tom Robinson
21 March 2007, 10:11 PM
I sometimes leave the original index info behind too. Although this is probably unnecessary once I have the certificate, it does no harm.
Keeping the original vol/page reference is essential for some work in the UK indexes: you can't go backwards from a certificate to a reference, so if you ever need to eliminate entries from the index you'll need this key.

e.g. for a particular year there are 3 Francis Whitworths in the indexes. I have one certificate and now I want to purchase the other two. But without the vol/page for the certificate I have, I can't tell what entry it relates to.

To answer the query about how I do this:

I have one source for all UK BMD references. All I attach to the name and b/m/d is that source number. I have a separate FileMaker database which has a transcription of everything I've found in the index (or is automatically loaded from FreeBMD) and a link on Person ID back to Reunion. I find this much easier to search on than keeping it within Reunion. I also have a lot more BMD extracts in the FM database than Reunion, whom I'm slowing linking up.

Each b/m/d certificate I receive is assigned its own source number. This source number is linked to the person in Reunion and the entry in the FM database.

Frank Mitchell
22 March 2007, 03:50 AM
Keeping the original vol/page reference is essential for some work in the UK indexes: you can't go backwards from a certificate to a reference, so if you ever need to eliminate entries from the index you'll need this key.
I haven't needed this yet but it is good point that I hadn't thought of.

Rauser
22 March 2007, 11:36 PM
Amen to this. When you are researching the Joneses, Hughes and Thomases in Wales you are bound to get the wrong certificates occasionally. The last thing I want to do is pay for the same mistake over and over!

I have entered sources for index entries and certificates even for these "wrong" people. That way they are in my source list and are readily available in case I need to avoid them again in the future! :P

-Chris

John M. Leggett
23 March 2007, 01:11 AM
I haven't needed this yet but it is good point that I hadn't thought of.

I hope everyone reflects a bit upon this somewhat casual remark as it is very profound.

Reunion Talk contains many, many good points that I hadn't thought of either.

In fact, it contains solutions to many problems that I didn't even know existed!

That is why I read Reunion Talk very carefully every day.

It helps me deal with current issues and prepares me for handling those I have not yet experienced.

So, thank you all for your part in Reunion Talk and thank you Leisters for providing this extremely valuable resource.

Alan Hill
26 June 2007, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=John Hill]Yes - each certificate has its own private source, which shows the type of certificate and the individual(s) name(s), the certificate references (year, file number, subdistrict, district) and whether it is an original or a scan or photocopy.
So it looks like:
Title: Birth Certificate - Irene E Hill
Date: 1902
Locality: Handsworth, Stafford
File Number: 279
Register: West Bromwich
Media Type: Original
(I can use this because Irene died in 1909).
In a report, this comes out as:
NN.