PDA

View Full Version : Windows software that comes closest to Reunion?

Steven
14 April 2005, 11:00 PM
A friend and work colleague of mine has caught the genealogy bug, and now wants to get some software.

Unfortunately he's of the Windows world and has asked me which software he should buy. Of course there's a swag of sites that compare Windows genealogy products, but I'd value the opinion of any of you, ie. Reunion users that are used to using a premium product, that have had recent experience with Windows products and can tell me which comes close to Reunion.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers

Steven (Brisbane, Australia)

Frank Mitchell
15 April 2005, 03:49 AM
A friend and work colleague of mine has caught the genealogy bug, and now wants to get some software.

Unfortunately he's of the Windows world and has asked me which software he should buy. Of course there's a swag of sites that compare Windows genealogy products, but I'd value the opinion of any of you, ie. Reunion users that are used to using a premium product, that have had recent experience with Windows products and can tell me which comes close to Reunion.Generations used to be Reunion for Windows. You can't get closer than that 8^)

ttl
15 April 2005, 05:01 PM
Generations Family Tree would also be my choice, but you should probably be made aware of the fact that some Generations users have become concerned the the software is no longer being actively maintained by the current publishers (no new versions, no bug fixes, no new releases for new OS versions).

For user friendliness, a number of current Generations users are looking at Legacy. Also, some have bought/will buy Mac Minis in order to run Reunion itself! :cool:

HuubTM
16 April 2005, 06:06 AM
Unfortunately he's of the Windows world and has asked me which software he should buy. Of course there's a swag of sites that compare Windows genealogy products, but I'd value the opinion of any of you, ie. Reunion users that are used to using a premium product, that have had recent experience with Windows products and can tell me which comes close to Reunion.I am also one of those windows-Generations users, who, because of the fact that Generations seems to suffer from a terminal illness, made the jump to Reunion, and I bought a Mac (G4) to run it. I am totally satisfied about this move. Except for one thing. On my Reunion-MacG4, the Match-Merge function simply does not work, when I choose to "Find matches for Everybody", and "Compare with everybody", in my 27000 persons database, it takes hours, and still no result. Of course I am not planning to do the matching without proper considerations, but at least I want to find double persons by this method. When on the other hand, I export a Gedcom to Generations-Windows, and do the match-merge, it takes about 5 minutes to finish the search. Maybe a computer-thing? My PC is a Pentium 4, 2.80 Ghz CPU, and 448 Mb memory. The iMac is a Dual 450 Mhz G4, with 896 Mb SDRAM.

Mace
21 April 2005, 11:58 PM
I am also one of those windows-Generations users, who, because of the fact that Generations seems to suffer from a terminal illness, made the jump to Reunion, and I bought a Mac (G4) to run it. I am totally satisfied about this move. Except for one thing. On my Reunion-MacG4, the Match-Merge function simply does not work, when I choose to "Find matches for Everybody", and "Compare with everybody", in my 27000 persons database, it takes hours, and still no result. Of course I am not planning to do the matching without proper considerations, but at least I want to find double persons by this method. When on the other hand, I export a Gedcom to Generations-Windows, and do the match-merge, it takes about 5 minutes to finish the search. Maybe a computer-thing? My PC is a Pentium 4, 2.80 Ghz CPU, and 448 Mb memory. The iMac is a Dual 450 Mhz G4, with 896 Mb SDRAM.Your 2.8 GHz P4 is quite a bit faster than that dual G4, probably 5-7 times faster, considering bus speed and memory speed and everything else. Does the progress bar move when you try it on your G4? Have you tried letting it run overnight?

Also, from what I've read in Renunion's online help, the match and merge in Reunion is anything but efficient but rather is quite exhaustive, checking A->B and both B->A. I've found it to be a real lifesaver with my main family file on which a brother and Dad were working on independently and then merged. The merging is really intelligent, though, and works very well. If someone is considering matching and merging a messed up family file it is well worth the time to read the online help section, it saved me a bunch of time with the helpful hints.

I'd be curious to see how long it takes my file to match and merge. On my 1.5 GHz G4 it takes it about 45-60 minutes (7,500 people now, was 8,800!!). I may see how Generations does, if there is a trial version.

Mace

HuubTM
22 April 2005, 08:14 PM
...I'd be curious to see how long it takes my file to match and merge. On my 1.5 GHz G4 it takes it about 45-60 minutes (7,500 people now, was 8,800!!). I may see how Generations does, if there is a trial version.If you send me a Gedcom of your data, I could do the search for you on my PC, to get an idea of the speed. I don't know if there is a a trial version of Generations. And if there is one, I presume that there will be a limitation in the number of people it can handle, like 50 or so. These programs usually do that. I just started a match-merge search on my Mac. After now 5 minutes, the progress bar is just visible, the blue bar is about 0.2 mm. The digits on the little Apple watch ar moving. Let's see.
Greetings,

Mace
24 April 2005, 06:38 PM
If you send me a Gedcom of your data, I could do the search for you on my PC, to get an idea of the speed. I don't know if there is a a trial version of Generations. And if there is one, I presume that there will be a limitation in the number of people it can handle, like 50 or so. These programs usually do that...Once your match & merge completes, make sure to mark the resulting people. Then, next time you match & merge you can just have it compare the marked people and it is much faster.

Also, you can double click on people in matched list and the main family card will show that person. So, set the window sizes so you can see both windows at once prior to matching.

Mace