PDA

View Full Version : Linking existing father to illegitimate child

kbundesen
14 April 2005, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I've looked through the other boards but haven't found the answer to my problem.

I am using reunion for some Ph.D. research. I've entered Henry VIII and all his wives and their children no problem.

Now I've entered his mistress Bessie Blount and her child Henry Fitzroy. I'm trying to link the Henry Fitzroy to his Existing Father. When I do that a pop-up asks me to select one of Henry's spouses with only two choices, Add or Cancel. Arrgghh. I've already entered the mother (Bessie) and Henry Fitzroy shows Bessie as his mother. How do I link an existing father with wives to this child and mistress/mother?

thanks in advance for any help.
Kristin

SGilbert
14 April 2005, 02:58 PM
Simply link Bessie to Henry VIII and, in the marriage section, label them as "unmarried". Under children, label Henry Fitzroy as "illigitimate".

Steve W. Jackson
14 April 2005, 07:01 PM
Hi,
I've looked through the other boards but haven't found the answer to my problem.

I am using reunion for some Ph.D. research. I've entered Henry VIII and all his wives and their children no problem.

Now I've entered his mistress Bessie Blount and her child Henry Fitzroy. I'm trying to link the Henry Fitzroy to his Existing Father. When I do that a pop-up asks me to select one of Henry's spouses with only two choices, Add or Cancel. Arrgghh. I've already entered the mother (Bessie) and Henry Fitzroy shows Bessie as his mother. How do I link an existing father with wives to this child and mistress/mother?

thanks in advance for any help.
Kristin
I'm assuming you already have Henry Fitzroy's actual father in your data. He should appear on a family card together with Bessie Blount, along with whatever marriage information there is. If you already have Henry Fitzroy listed on a family card beneath Henry VIII and Bessie, where he doesn't technically belong, then the solution should be simple. On the family card with his real father and Bessie Blount, choose "Add Existing Child" and select Henry Fitzroy from the index. Since he already exists, you should be asked whether to duplicate him or move him. Choose move and he ends up correctly appearing beneath his real parents and not as a child of Henry VIII and Bessie.

= Steve =

Dennis J. Cunniff
14 April 2005, 08:54 PM
If you already have Henry Fitzroy listed on a family card beneath Henry VIII and Bessie, where he doesn't technically belong...Actually, that's where he does belong. I think the problem described suggests that, at present, there's no link between Henry VIII and Bessie Blount (probably because of concern that this would be interpreted as a marriage). The solution, as noted above, is to link Henry and Bessie and set the status as "unmarried". Probably the "blank" marriage in which Henry Fitzroy is current a child will have to be deleted, and Fitzroy moved to the Henry/Bessie card. (And Bessie's marriages toe Gilbert Tailboys and Sir Edward Clinton can be added, with their respective children).

Shelley Monson
15 April 2005, 02:48 AM
Simply link Bessie to Henry VIII and, in the marriage section, label them as "unmarried". Under children, label Henry Fitzroy as "illigitimate".To be more specific, go to Elizabeth Blount's card, with Henry Fitzroy showing as a child button. Click on the "Add" pull-down menu above Bessie's name (it has a plus sign on it). Chose "Existing Spouse." The program will give you a list of all the men in your database; choose Henry VIII. This way Henry Fitzroy will be connected to Henry VIII as a child. Then click on the marriage field (in the middle above both Henry Tudor & Elizabeth Blount's names). In the screen that comes up, click on the "Marriage" pull-down menu, and choose "Unmarried." You can also click on the baby-carriage icon above Henry & Bessie, which will give you a list of all their (one) children. In the "Status" column, click on the arrows for an assortment of descriptors, one of which is "Illegitimate."

Hope this helps.

Regards
Shelley
researching 16th century genealogy

Frank Mitchell
15 April 2005, 03:45 AM
...I am using reunion for some Ph.D. research. I've entered Henry VIII and all his wives and their children no problem.

Now I've entered his mistress Bessie Blount and her child Henry Fitzroy. I'm trying to link the Henry Fitzroy to his Existing Father. When I do that a pop-up asks me to select one of Henry's spouses with only two choices, Add or Cancel. Arrgghh. I've already entered the mother (Bessie) and Henry Fitzroy shows Bessie as his mother. How do I link an existing father with wives to this child and mistress/mother?1. Go to the card showing Bessie with her son, Henry Fitzroy.

2. In Bessie's spouse pop-up menu (top right hand side with a '+') select 'Existing Spouse...'

3. In the resulting list select Henry VIII and click on Link.

Then you can change their marriage status to 'Unmarried' and label Henry Fitzroy as illegitimate as described by others.

kbundesen
15 April 2005, 08:44 AM
Thank you ALL!

What speedy and helpful responses.

I was stumped by first choosing Henry VIII as an existing spouse and he wasn't her (Bessie's) spouse. And choosing an existing father for henry Fitzroy (the illigitimate son) brought up the existing spouses for Henry VIII - all 6 of them - but no option for linking to the non-spouse Bessie.

Now I see I can change the nature of the link after the fact. this will come in handy when I add the illigitimate children Henry VIII had by Mary Boleyn. Thank you to all.

Kristin

kbundesen
15 April 2005, 08:47 AM
Then you can change their marriage status to 'Unmarried' and label Henry Fitzroy as illegitimate as described by others.Sorry to be such a dunce but where do I label the child as illegitimate?

-Kristin

kbundesen
15 April 2005, 08:50 AM
You can also click on the baby-carriage icon above Henry & Bessie, which will give you a list of all their (one) children. In the "Status" column, click on the arrows for an assortment of descriptors, one of which is "Illegitimate."Hi,
What baby-carriage icon? I'm not seeing it.
thanks,
Kristin

Deb
15 April 2005, 01:52 PM
What baby-carriage icon? I'm not seeing it.Hi Kristin,

The baby-carriage icon (or Children button) appears on the toolbar in your family file if you are using the OS X version of Reunion 8.

However, if you are using the version for OS 8.5 - 9.2, the Children button on the toolbar would appear as steps (or three descending lines).

LAING MACDOWELL
15 April 2005, 06:14 PM
I was stumped by first choosing Henry VIII as an existing spouse and he wasn't her (Bessie's) spouse. And choosing an existing father for henry Fitzroy (the illigitimate son) brought up the existing spouses for Henry VIII - all 6 of them - but no option for linking to the non-spouse Bessie.

Now I see I can change the nature of the link after the fact. this will come in handy when I add the illigitimate children Henry VIII had by Mary Boleyn. Thank you to all.Are you ure she was Mary Boleyn or Ann Bolyn?

Dennis J. Cunniff
15 April 2005, 08:08 PM
Are you sure she was Mary Boleyn or Ann Bolyn?Anne Boleyn was Henry's wife; Mary Boleyn was her sister, married to William Cary, Gentleman of the Privy Chamber and Esquire of the Body to King Henry VIII.

Some have argued that two of Mary's children, Catherine and Henry Cary, were fathered by Henry VIII, not William Cary.

Dennis J. Cunniff
15 April 2005, 08:14 PM
Sorry to be such a dunce but where do I label the child as illegitimate?It's an optional step, and you can do it a number of ways. Probably the easiest to explain is to click on the "marriage button" on the card (in this case, it will say "Unmarried"). This will bring up the "Edit Family" window, If you click on the second "tab" labelled "Children" you'll see a list of children. One of the columns in that list is labelled "Status". If you click on the status column in a child's row, you'll see a pop-up menu with a list of statuses on it: choose "illegitimate" for those you want to label, then save the family.

The only difference you'll notice is a new colored outline around the child button.

Frank Mitchell
16 April 2005, 05:52 AM
Sorry to be such a dunce but where do I label the child as illegitimate?Click on the children icon at the top of the family card.

In the list of children which appears the default Status for each child is None. Clicking on that gives you a pop-up list from which you can select illegitimate.

Steve W. Jackson
18 April 2005, 07:10 PM
Actually, that's where he does belong. I think the problem described suggests that, at present, there's no link between Henry VIII and Bessie Blount (probably because of concern that this would be interpreted as a marriage). The solution, as noted above, is to link Henry and Bessie and set the status as "unmarried". Probably the "blank" marriage in which Henry Fitzroy is current a child will have to be deleted, and Fitzroy moved to the Henry/Bessie card. (And Bessie's marriages toe Gilbert Tailboys and Sir Edward Clinton can be added, with their respective children).From the other contributions here, it seems that I misinterpreted the question. The reference to "her child Henry Fitzroy" and linking to an existing father led me to believe it was someone else's and not Henry VIII's child. Sorry about the confusion.

= Steve =

Frank Mitchell
19 April 2005, 07:04 AM
From the other contributions here, it seems that I misinterpreted the question. The reference to "her child Henry Fitzroy" and linking to an existing father led me to believe it was someone else's and not Henry VIII's child. Sorry about the confusion.A bit of trivia - The prefix "Fitz" means "son of" often used before a surname in those days to indicate an illegitimate son.

"Fitzroy" literally means "son of a king" (the french for 'King' is 'Roi')