PDA

View Full Version : Which new iMac?

Sara
03 March 2007, 10:35 PM
I'm contemplating the purchase of a new iMac to replace my old eMac (10.2.8). Any suggestions? Most used applications: REUNION (looking forward to exploring 9), Filemaker, Office X, iPhoto, iTunes, Photoshop Elements. This seemed to be the place to ask.

SGilbert
04 March 2007, 12:00 AM
Although the smallest and slowest iMac will serve you quite well, and be considerable faster than what you have now, the size & speed increases will thrill you quite a bit. It's YOUR decision how big of a screen, how large of a HD, how fast of a processor, and how big the RAM is. Price figures, obviously, into the equasion!

You can't go wrong, but will be happier the bigger you go. Just my humble opinion.

Karen Peters
04 March 2007, 09:13 AM
Sara,

If you can make it to an Apple Store, go and look at the different models. You can make a better decision about what screen size is right for you.

The other thing you should consider is how long you're going to keep the computer and if it would be usable in the future. If you're planning on keeping it a while, the faster model might be better for you. You know that as soon as you buy a computer, it will be obsolete, but the question is will it be able to keep up with new, more demanding applications you might want to run down the line? The extra money you spend on the faster model might be worth it if you can keep running the computer for another year or two.

I replaced my iMac G3 with a 20" Core Duo (before the 24" Core 2 Duo was out or I would have gotten that one) and I'm happy with my choice. I tend to hold on to computers as long as possible. I only gave up on the G3 before it died completely because the kindergarten class at my son's elementary school could use it.

Happy shopping!

Mary Arthur
05 March 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm contemplating the purchase of a new iMac to replace my old eMac (10.2.8). Any suggestions? Most used applications: REUNION (looking forward to exploring 9), Filemaker, Office X, iPhoto, iTunes, Photoshop Elements. This seemed to be the place to ask.

Sara,

If your older Mac is still working well, I would wait, as Leopard will be arriving soon (not for atribution, Apple 'insiders' say spring and it will be spring in California soon, won't it?). All joking aside, you can then decide if you want to buy a newest Mac with Leopard, or a new Mac at slightly reduced price.