PDA

View Full Version : PDA exchange?

Michele
11 April 2005, 11:54 PM
I just bought Reunion and I am an avid Mac user, as well as a genealogist.

Is there a way that I can export the data from Reunion to my PDA? If so, what program would be best to work with Reunion without loss of data?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

johnpritt
12 April 2005, 03:01 AM
It will depend on what sort of PDA you use.
Try looking here -- it was the first site that came up on a Google search: http://www.moss-fritch.com/pda_software.htm

As far as specific Reunion to PDA software is concerned, I'm not sure that there is anything. You'll probably have to export a GEDCOM file from Reunion first, and import that into the PDA.

MyRoots seems to be the one for Mac users.

SueHilliker
12 April 2005, 04:15 AM
Have been using "My Roots" with my Palm Vx for the past 4 years. Am very happy with it and the prompt support from the developer. Data is exported using GEDCOM.
Information at http://www.tapperware.com/MyRoots/index.html and you can download a trial version from http://www.tapperware.com/MyRoots/download.html

Bob White
12 April 2005, 03:33 PM
I'll just add that I'm a long time satisfied user of MyRoots with the added footnote that the author, Thomas Ward, keeps improving it constantly. Bottom line is that one can carry thousands of relatives in one's shirt pocket.

Michele
19 April 2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks all for your thoughts so far. I have heard of "My Roots" recently at a genealogy conference. I thought it best to ask before I spend any money!

I have had trouble using other genealogical software, where I export the GEDCOM from one program to another and characters don't transfer correctly, and things like this. So, my question really was to even consider this area. I dont' want to have to retype anything if at all possible!

I also have been thinking of purchasing a laptop, but really dont' want to do that if I can use my Palm to do it with. I have an older Palm, it's a Handspring Pro...and I think upgrading my palm would be much cheaper, and more convenient (with my portable keyboard), to use on trips to research.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Michele

jimrite
19 April 2005, 06:26 PM
I don't want to belabor a point made many times before in this forum, but it should be pointed out that My Roots is very good for carrying your data with you, but you should not enter data into it and hope to have it all import back into Reunion. Data in those Reunion fields not supported by GEDCOM will be lost. Only the first 256 chraracters (or so) of the Notes field are transferred, so you will find most obituaries or other notes stored there truncated in My Roots. I love the ability to carry my entire family tree in my shirt pocket, and My Roots performs beautifully, but it and the Palm are not equivalent to Reunion and an iBook.
Jim Wright

Bob White
21 April 2005, 02:08 PM
Good point which I forgot to include. I have used MyRoots for several years but I have always used it as a one way street (from Mac to Palm).

Kim
21 April 2005, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know of a way to carry and view your data on an iPod photo? I plan to get one soon.

LyndaCook
02 May 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts so far. I have heard of "My Roots" recently at a genealogy conference. I thought it best to ask before I spend any money!

I have had trouble using other genealogical software, where I export the GEDCOM from one program to another and characters don't transfer correctly, and things like this. So, my question really was to even consider this area. I dont' want to have to retype anything if at all possible!

I also have been thinking of purchasing a laptop, but really dont' want to do that if I can use my Palm to do it with. I have an older Palm, it's a Handspring Pro...and I think upgrading my palm would be much cheaper, and more convenient (with my portable keyboard), to use on trips to research.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Michele

I've been using MyRoots for several years, both on my old Handspring and my Palm. Both work fine, but as they say it is a one way trip. Sure is handy at the library when you're in the stacks.

conniegene
18 June 2005, 11:39 PM
I just purchased My Roots and downloaded the conversion utility, but I can't seem to get the utility (.app) to run. I am using OS 10.4, have the Reunion file exported to the desktop, My Roots is on my T3, but I can't seem to get any farther.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Barb

vineviz
21 June 2005, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know of a way to carry and view your data on an iPod photo? I plan to get one soon.

The iPod can view basic text documents, so the only way to make this work that I am aware of is to create reports (Ahnentafel, Family History Report, etc), convert them to a .txt file, then drop those in the Notes folder on the iPod.

There is no search function or hypertext linking if you do it this way, but you can at least view the reports.

Vince