PDA

View Full Version : Prompt for person already in your database?

Emily
11 April 2005, 12:04 AM
Could someone please share with me if there is a way to get Reunion to prompt you when you enter someone in your database who is already there. For example, I have entered a male child of an ancestor on one side of my family who later ends up being the same person who marries a female on the other side of my family. If I enter the same name and possibly a date of birth or death that matches a person already in my database, will Reunion not prompt me to ask me if the people are the same? If not, I would like to make a plea that this be a feature that is added as soon as possible. Running match and merge is how I have taken care of this up until now, but with a large database of 5000+ names, match and merge can be a chore and a way to loose information. Anyone who can, please help. Thanks.

Michael
11 April 2005, 04:07 PM
If I enter the same name and possibly a date of birth or death that matches a person already in my database, will Reunion not prompt me to ask me if the people are the same?

. . .

Running match and merge is how I have taken care of this up until now, but with a large database of 5000+ names, match and merge can be a chore. . .Hi Emily,

Unfortunately, there isn't an automatic feature like this available in Reunion. The Match & Merge People feature would be your only option here.

. . .and a way to loose information.If you're losing information, we'd be interested in knowing about this. When you perform a merge of two records, your data should remain intact.

Sara
11 April 2005, 06:04 PM
If you're losing information, we'd be interested in knowing about this. When you perform a merge of two records, your data should remain intact.This just happened to me yesterday. I've merged successfully many times in the past but this time information on children was lost. Fortunately I had a backup copy and was able to reenter it.

Emily
11 April 2005, 08:12 PM
Michael,
I have lost several items of information when I merge individuals. For example, I merge two people who I determine to be the same, but when I do, I want to keep the notes on one and the dates, place of death, etc. on the other. I often lose my information in the notes field when I choose to merge. It would be a wonderful feature if Reunion would prompt you when you put in someone it determines to possibly be a duplicate. Please make this available in the next release, and make it soon. Otherwise, this is a great program. Thanks,
Emily

theKiwi
11 April 2005, 10:37 PM
You "should" end up with two notes fields for a person if before you merged them each person had information in their miscellaneous notes fields. Same goes if there are two different birth events, or death events for the two people - you'd end up with the resulting person having two Birth fields in their Edit Person window.

In Reunion 8 (I don't remember if this worked in Reunion 7 or lower) you can go to Find Anything ------> Person, click on the pop up menu and choose Attributes ------> # of duplicated fields then set that "more than" 0.

Do the search, and it will tell you which people in your database have fields (eg Birth, or Misc Notes) duplicated - ie used more than once.

If you find any, these might be the results of the merges you've done?

Roger

fmlyhntr
12 April 2005, 12:08 AM
Could someone please share with me if there is a way to get Reunion to prompt you when you enter someone in your database who is already there. For example, I have entered a male child of an ancestor on one side of my family who later ends up being the same person who marries a female on the other side of my family. If I enter the same name and possibly a date of birth or death that matches a person already in my database, will Reunion not prompt me to ask me if the people are the same? If not, I would like to make a plea that this be a feature that is added as soon as possible. Running match and merge is how I have taken care of this up until now, but with a large database of 5000+ names, match and merge can be a chore and a way to loose information. Anyone who can, please help. Thanks.Indirectly there is. Enter the new name and mark him/her. (No one else should be marked at this moment.)
Now do a search and compare them. If they should be merged, then mark the second person. Go to merge and have the file merge only the marked people.

Christina