PDA

View Full Version : Beware Norton Disk Doctor with OS X

Al Poulin
12 February 2007, 11:26 PM
There is a current thread in the "Using Older Versions of Reunion" forum that begs the attention of all who are using Reunion with OS X. Norton Disk Doctor was the "go to" utility for repairing problems with files in the old days with OS 9, OS 8, and older Macintosh systems. Symantec, the vendor, does not sell Norton Disk Doctor or anything like it for OS X. See:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/index.jsp

As mentioned in the other forum, the thread "Unable to open this file" shows what happens when using Norton Disk Doctor:
http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=2258

TechTool Pro by Micromat and DiskWarrior by Alsoft are accepted disk repair and maintenance utilities when running OS X. They are quite different from each other for different purposes.

Frank Mitchell
13 February 2007, 07:37 PM
There is a current thread in the "Using Older Versions of Reunion" forum that begs the attention of all who are using Reunion with OS X. Norton Disk Doctor was the "go to" utility for repairing problems with files in the old days with OS 9, OS 8, and older Macintosh systems. Symantec, the vendor, does not sell Norton Disk Doctor or anything like it for OS X.
Actually Disk Doctor is still sold as part of Norton SystemWorks for Mac OS X.

I had it when I was running Jaguar and, in my ignorance, just continued with it when I went to Panther. It then royally screwed up my files and I had to reinstall my Documents folder from a back up drive.

It also took me hours to find and get rid of all the files that SystemWorks had installed *after* I had run their Uninstaller. Several of them "couldn't be trashed" (but I found a way to do so eventually).

Beware!
Frank

latblumr
16 February 2007, 12:26 PM
Apparently this does not apply to Norton Antivirus software? I had to use this very recently because of some online bank fraud (the bank insisted), and I have had no problems with any of my files afterward.

By the way, OS users will be pleased to know and confirm, there was no virus found on my computer...zip, nada.

Jackie

Frank Mitchell
16 February 2007, 07:00 PM
Apparently this does not apply to Norton Antivirus software? I had to use this very recently because of some online bank fraud (the bank insisted), and I have had no problems with any of my files afterward.
Probably true for OS 9 etc, but the general opinion among the expert members of my Mac Users Group is that no significant viruses for Mac OS X exist and, if one does turn up, we would know about it before Symantec does.

They have all trashed it, so I did so too.

Regards,
Frank

Al Poulin
16 February 2007, 09:07 PM
Apparently this does not apply to Norton Antivirus software?

True, as far as catastrophic failure is concerned. But I have seen anecdotal reports in lowendmac.com e-lists and in a MacFixit article indicating that Norton Antivirus can drastically slow down OS X functions across the board. There have been recent comments in favor of ClamXav.

rnkiii
16 February 2007, 10:43 PM

By the way, OS users will be pleased to know and confirm, there was no virus found on my computer...zip, nada.

Jackie

As a retired Mac tech., I can tell you of numerous 'catastrophic' data loses and system damage from use of Norton software on machines running all levels of OS above 8.6.... I don't think I can emphasize strongly enough removing any and ALL Norton software from your machine(s).