PDA

View Full Version : from Brothers Keeper to Reunion 8

Janet Binkley
08 April 2005, 12:39 PM
I need help in making a transfer of data from my 1995 Brothers Keeper 5 genealogy program that's on my WIN95 laptop. When I got Reunion 8, I split out GEDCOMs from BK-5 that were small enough to fit on a floppy disk for the transfer -- I couldn't use the Internet because my cable service said it can't handle WIN95 (!). However, I have a troublesome family for which I have been collecting random 18th century individuals in hopes of detecting relationships. I really need to extract the files of EVERYONE with that SURNAME, all those isolated individuals, to a data file in Reunion 8 -- Does anyone know how?

JRB

Steve W. Jackson
08 April 2005, 05:50 PM
I need help in making a transfer of data from my 1995 Brothers Keeper 5 genealogy program that's on my WIN95 laptop. When I got Reunion 8, I split out GEDCOMs from BK-5 that were small enough to fit on a floppy disk for the transfer -- I couldn't use the Internet because my cable service said it can't handle WIN95 (!). However, I have a troublesome family for which I have been collecting random 18th century individuals in hopes of detecting relationships. I really need to extract the files of EVERYONE with that SURNAME, all those isolated individuals, to a data file in Reunion 8 -- Does anyone know how?Janet,

Your ISP, like most others, is being lazy. What they mean is that they don't support Windows 95. If you were a technically literate person, you'd know that it's not necessary for them to support it if you could set your own networking parameters. :)

In any case, even without the Internet you may still be able to do this in one large GEDCOM file if your Win95 box has a network adapter and you're willing to get a crossover Ethernet cable. I'm assuming you've got a recent model Mac with Mac OS X, which is able to do Windows style networking. Depending on where you are, you may be able to locate a nearby Mac User Group where some savvy members could help you out.

= Steve =

Wayne Till
09 April 2005, 08:04 PM
I need help in making a transfer of data from my 1995 Brothers Keeper 5 genealogy program that's on my WIN95 laptop. When I got Reunion 8, I split out GEDCOMs from BK-5 that were small enough to fit on a floppy disk for the transfer -- I couldn't use the Internet because my cable service said it can't handle WIN95 (!). However, I have a troublesome family for which I have been collecting random 18th century individuals in hopes of detecting relationships. I really need to extract the files of EVERYONE with that SURNAME, all those isolated individuals, to a data file in Reunion 8 -- Does anyone know how?

JRBThere are several ways to do that. Perhaps the simplest one is to create the gedcom file and e-mail it to yourself from the laptop and download it onto your Mac. You might also compress the file with PKZip or StuffIt (www.stuffit.com). I recently had a 6.7 MB gedcom which compressed to 1.4 MB, and if it is larger than that, the program will allow you to segment it onto a series of floppies. Or you might find someone with a Zip drive that will work with your laptop to get it onto a Zip disk. A zip drive is a nice accessory for your Mac if you don't already have one.