PDA

View Full Version : Creating .PDF files

ljirwin42
07 April 2005, 09:23 PM
A correspondent requests a report in .PDF format. How do I "save" or "convert" a Reunion report to .PDF format?

Lee Irwin

Dennis J. Cunniff
08 April 2005, 02:40 AM
A correspondent requests a report in .PDF format. How do I "save" or "convert" a Reunion report to .PDF format?Lee,
The answer depends a bit on what other software you are using. I would do this either of two ways: my default word processor is Word, and that's the format Reunion makes for me by default. Once the report is open in Word, you can [1] print it to Adobe PDF 7.0, or [2] use the button in the print dialog to save it as a PDF file. This is all under OS X.

In previous OS (9 and earlier) you need to install the "Print to PDF" software and select it as your printer in the Chooser (or use some other additional software.

If you tell us more (what word processor you use, if you have Adobe Acrobat, what OS you are running) we can probably be of more help, if this doesn't get you pointed in the right direction.

Lil
08 April 2005, 09:37 PM
If you are using OS 10.2+: With your document open, go to Print. In the bottom of the Print window is the "Save As PDF" button. Click that, and you are done. You don't select the "Print" button to complete the action unless you want to print a copy. This works for me--good luck.

jimrite
10 April 2005, 03:05 PM
When I was using OS 9, I used a nifty piece of shareware called PrinttoPDF, which included the ability to create hot links within the document. When I printed out a full descendant report (8 generations) for relatives, it was about 45 pages. To make it easier to navigate, I printed a second report, but limited it to only the first three generations, then pasted that report at the beginning to the 45-page report that included all eight generations, and used it as a sort of table of contents. I could use PrinttoPDF to make key people in the abbreviated report hot links, so when the reader clicked on the hot link she was taken to the page with that person on it. Sadly, that ability has been lost with OS 10's "Save as PDF" button.