PDA

View Full Version : Change an ancestor's number

Vernette Godfrey
05 April 2005, 09:35 PM
When I first started my Reunion file, I listed my first known ancestor - he is #1. Now, I have been able to go back several more generations - how can I bless my new found ancestor with Number One? The Help Manuel didn't seem to know - or I didn't know what to ask for. Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Matthew Wyneken
06 April 2005, 06:30 AM
There is no way to change the Person ID that you see at the bottom of each card. That would wreak havoc with the database.

However, Reunion does have a different way to help you work with ancestor numbers. It's even possible to have Reunion compute ancestor numbers for several people. Check out the menu item "Options -> Numbering ..." and/or search the manual for "ancestor number" for details.

Once you've set up the numbering you can set up your card view ("Options -> Define -> Views ...") to show the Number field on your person cards.

HuubTM
16 April 2005, 07:13 AM
When I first started my Reunion file, I listed my first known ancestor - he is #1. Now, I have been able to go back several more generations - how can I bless my new found ancestor with Number One? The Help Manuel didn't seem to know - or I didn't know what to ask for. Would appreciate the help. Thanks.There is a very unusual way to get this done, I guess. First remove the person that now has No 1, to the waste bin, after having written down all his data. Then remove the person you want to get number 1, after also remembered all his data. Then be sure to empty the waste bin. Now there are two numbers available for newly entered persons, the first one you enter will get number 1. The second one you enter will get the number of the former number 1. It looks simple, the way I describe it, but it needs good thinking before it is properly done. Practice first with a dummy datafile, or be very sure that you have a good backup, in case you mess up the first time.

fjvanbodegom
17 April 2005, 05:13 AM
There is NO reason at all to change the Reunionnumber, it is impossible (don't even try the above mentioned very unusual way).
The number Reunion assigned is for internal use only (and off course for a quick find, if you know the unique number)
As Matthew Wyneken stated: Reunon has enough flexibility to fullfill your wish.
You can use the User Id number, but this is NOT recommand in this situation (your first ancestor - he is # 1). After a few years you find new ancestors, then you had to change the numbers again.
The option 'Numbering' is a perfect shapen tool for the situation as you described and good explained by Matthew.

Eirik StrÝm
17 April 2005, 07:06 PM
There is a very unusual way to get this done, I guess. First remove the person that now has No 1, to the waste bin, after having written down all his data. Then remove the person you want to get number 1, after also remembered all his data. Then be sure to empty the waste bin. Now there are two numbers available for newly entered persons, the first one you enter will get number 1. The second one you enter will get the number of the former number 1.
There is NO reason at all to change the Reunionnumber, it is impossible (don't even try the above mentioned very unusual way).Now, this is tricky business, so let us not be too harsh. Reunion really - at the time of writing - works the way that HuubTM describes, and I am not inclined to call this a very unusual or very risky method - provided that you know exactly what you are doing. You might even do some GEDCOM exporting and importing to assist you in the process. But: We have no guarantee that Reunion works this way in its next version, or that we shall get a warning concerning a possible change in Reunion

HuubTM
18 April 2005, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Eirik Str