PDA

View Full Version : Image links lost in gedcom transfer.

Terry Dearborn
05 April 2005, 08:42 PM
When I export a gedcom and then import it back into reunion the multimedia paths are lost. This is understandable as there is no TAG for photo links. I want to be sure that the person receiving the gedcom will be able to re-link the named pictures on the CD that I send to him.

I decided to make a TEST by importing this gedcom back into REUNION. Naturally there are no pictures on the family pages. Using the procedure from the Manual, I

1. opened multimedia window
2. selected the person tab.
3. hit the "add item" button
4. In the "choose file" window I navigated to my PICTURE folder and found the picture to match the name TAB.

There are 60+ pictures to re-link to the persons in the gedcom.

QUESTION: Can this be done "Globally"? by that I mean is there a routine, if performed ONCE, will be repeated throughout the INDEX?

Deb
06 April 2005, 04:09 PM
When I export a gedcom and then import it back into reunion the multimedia paths are lost. This is understandable as there is no TAG for photo links. I want to be sure that the person receiving the gedcom will be able to re-link the named pictures on the CD that I send to him.

I decided to make a TEST by importing this gedcom back into REUNION. Naturally there are no pictures on the family pages. Using the procedure from the Manual, I

1. opened multimedia window
2. selected the person tab.
3. hit the "add item" button
4. In the "choose file" window I navigated to my PICTURE folder and found the picture to match the name TAB.

There are 60+ pictures to re-link to the persons in the gedcom.

QUESTION: Can this be done "Globally"? by that I mean is there a routine, if performed ONCE, will be repeated throughout the INDEX?Hi Terry,

To answer your question, there is no way for Reunion 8 to "globally" re-link photos in this instance, since the links do not transfer via Gedcom. They would need to be linked one at a time. However, a neat shortcut for linking photos to people in your family file would be to drag and drop the actual picture file icon onto the appropriate person's name button on the family card.

But, this may be a moot point. What specific program does the receiving party have?

Terry Dearborn
07 April 2005, 12:36 AM
Hi Terry,

To answer your question, there is no way for Reunion 8 to "globally" re-link photos in this instance, since the links do not transfer via Gedcom. They would need to be linked one at a time. However, a neat shortcut for linking photos to people in your family file would be to drag and drop the actual picture file icon onto the appropriate person's name button on the family card.

But, this may be a moot point. What specific program does the receiving party have?

Thanks for answering, Deb. Not having a global solution will make this more time consuming. The drag and drop works nicely. The slow part is scrolling back and forth through the picture file. The huband and wife's surnames seldom have the same starting letter.

As for the software that I will be importing the Gedcom file: One person using FTM and the other uses Generations Family Tree. The owners will just have to read their "manual". They may not have the drag and drop feature.

fjvanbodegom
07 April 2005, 05:15 AM
Just a few small remarks, might be handy.
The number Reunion assignes for a person is a unique number (like the S.S.N). Start the name of the picture with the specific Reunion number and then the name of the picture you wish. Then is is easy to link and find the correct picture.
When you have more pictures linked, no problem: 315a John, 315b John and Willy, 315c John's kids, etc
Because the name of the picture start with numbers and then characters, it might be neccessary to start the number with a zero (if you have more than 10 picures linked) otherwise nr 19 is placed before number 2. This is in OS 9.
Working with OS X, there is no need to precede the number with a zero.
This can also be handy when you sent your gedcom file and the photos to a relative. In that case make a small conversion table (Export Text) of the persons with linked pictures (mark then before using Find AnuThing) with their ID number and the amount of linked pictures.

AE Palmer
07 April 2005, 07:45 PM
Because the name of the picture start with numbers and then characters, it might be neccessary to start the number with a zero (if you have more than 10 picures linked) otherwise nr 19 is placed before number 2. This is in OS 9.There is a nice little extension for OS 9.x called "natural order" that cures this problem. If interested, email me back channel.

Reiner L. Sauer
08 April 2005, 05:31 AM
Why doesn't Reunion use the following tags for transferring image links via GEDCOM?

1 OBJE
2 FILE :images:ImageName.jpg
3 FORM jpg

Regards
Reiner

Eirik StrÝm
08 April 2005, 11:17 PM
The number Reunion assignes for a person is a unique number (like the S.S.N). Start the name of the picture with the specific Reunion number and then the name of the picture you wish. Then is is easy to link and find the correct picture.A word of warning may be appropriate here.

It is quite true that Reunion assigns a unique ID number for each person in a family file. But a person is guaranteed to keep his unique ID number merely as long as he is situated in the family file where he originated. Without going into details, any situation where persons are imported into new

fjvanbodegom
09 April 2005, 05:13 AM
That warning is correct. As soon as you import a familyfile in another, the imported persons get another ID number. The links to the pictures remain correct (if you import them) and you had to renumber the linked pictures.