PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.com: US & World subscriptions

raluke
17 January 2007, 03:15 PM
Hi,

Ancestry.com is currently offering a discounted price ($95/year for U.S. and $155/year for World). I am thinking of actually joining but wanted to survey opinions on whether the "World" subscription is worth the extra money. Has anybody had experience with it? For example, are the extra resources usable to someone like me who knows only English? Most of my ancestors are from Germany and France, with a few from Great Britain and Ireland, in case that is relevant.

Thanks in advance,
-Robert

SVass
17 January 2007, 06:31 PM
If your library has a subscription, then you don't need one. Their world data may contain some English data; but, I would suggest that most world data is available from any Family History Library in your area. sam

briarrose
17 January 2007, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Ancestry.com is currently offering a discounted price ($95/year for U.S. and $155/year for World). I am thinking of actually joining but wanted to survey opinions on whether the "World" subscription is worth the extra money. Has anybody had experience with it? For example, are the extra resources usable to someone like me who knows only English? Most of my ancestors are from Germany and France, with a few from Great Britain and Ireland, in case that is relevant.

Thanks in advance,
-Robert

I recently subscribed to Ancestry.com world. I also have German ancestors. I also do not read German, but I have found census records for Meckelenberg in 1867 (if you click on view image for an individual they translate for you). They have just added the Hamburg Passeneger lists (I have not tried these yet) and a whole list of other newly added records. I believe you can see what records are available (in the U.K. collection) by going to ancestry.com and clicking on "U.K. collection" at the bottom of the page.

I have not used the U.K. collection because most of them are too late for my English ancestors.

Barbara

marnen
18 January 2007, 02:17 AM
I've said this in other threads, but I am willing to try my hand at translating records from German, French, or Russian for those who need it.