PDA

View Full Version : Creating an ancestor file for disk

Patricia
09 January 2007, 09:58 AM
I would like to create an ancetor's file then put it on a disk,so that I can send it to a family member who does not have a genealogy program.
Is this possible?
I am using reunion 8 on a mac osx 10.2.8.

Keep in mind I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

marnen
09 January 2007, 02:01 PM
What do you mean by an "ancestor file"?

It is possible to put any of Reunion's charts, reports, or Web folders on disk and send them to someone else -- just create the desired output and put it on the disk as required. If the amount of data is small, e-mail is probably more practical than disk in most cases.

Pat Bell
12 February 2007, 05:47 PM
I would like to create an ancetor's file then put it on a disk,so that I can send it to a family member who does not have a genealogy program.
Is this possible?
I am using reunion 8 on a mac osx 10.2.8.

Keep in mind I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Reunion is pretty danged nifty in its ability to record and transmit info in useful shape. You can select starting points, like Pedigree charts, Descendant charts, Relatives charts. What I've found useful are the various Reports you can generated. The beauty part of them is that you can have the information in the report in several formats -- my usual choice is the RTF (Rich Text Format). This keeps the chart nice and tidy, and then you can come back and highlight points of particular interests (i.e., bold face the direct line, etc.) You can define the format you want -- that is, featuring only the items you choose (e.g., birth, death, place of birth, place of death, etc -- huge range of possibilities there) and so transmit an enormous amount of information without your intended receiver having a genealogy program.

Last summer, I made a family booklet for one line (we were having a clan reunion); I used the Descendant Report, then where wives were involved, referred to a secondary report on her ancestry). When I had all my info in the form I wanted, I imported it into PageMaker and made nice booklets.

I was pleased that it was quite a hit.

I should also say that RTF is a text file -- and any and all text files are eminently available to put on a CD for someone else to read. If your recipient has Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, he or she should be able to read these with no problem (do put an extension on the end of the file name -- eg. MyTree.rtf-- or PC users will squall about not being able to open it). Mac users can also use TextEdit to open RTF files.

STEVE
15 February 2007, 10:38 PM
...Mac users can also use TextEdit to open RTF files.

You can add Nisus / Nisus Express to the list of RTF savy word processors.