PDA

View Full Version : Newbie query

WadesDad
06 January 2007, 12:55 PM
Dear Friends,

I'm new to genealogy, to Reunion (which I haven't purchased yet), and to this forum. While I'm searching and reading threads herein, I'm hoping you'll forgive my posting a query that has probably been discussed many times.

My question is probably ~as "newbie" as it gets...

I've recently begun researching my family's history, and am starting to consider how best to share what I learn with others. I've already discovered a few generations of genealogy data

SGilbert
06 January 2007, 02:10 PM
I get the impression that you are jumping the gun far too soon. You haven't even collected enough info to post anything as yet.

I suggest you get Reunion and enter all that you do have. That way you will know what you do NOT have. start searching for info on anything that is blank. Web, email, letters, phone calls, library, cemeteries, LDS files, Ancestry.com; just a few resources available to you.

When you have sufficient information AND enough interest to others, THEN decide where and how to distribute it.

theKiwi
06 January 2007, 03:35 PM
I'd suggest you "get published" as soon as you're comfortable with using Reunion to keep track of your family data as it's gathered.

This gets you a foothold in cyberspace if you decide to publish that way, and my recommendation is that you should publish in cyberspace - at least as your first method. That lets people find you, no matter where they are - and it's an absolute certainty that you have relatives, some of them not very distant even, living in places you can't even begin to guess at.

I created my first web site within a month or two of AOL allowing members to have web sites. Onto that I put my genealogy data as it was at the time using a software called SparrowHawk, and pretty soon it was indexed by that new upstart Google.

That has led to a slow but steady stream of contacts that have supplied me with more information about our family.

In some instances it's people I knew existed (distant cousins for example) but only knew their name, and they've supplied me with more information about people I knew about, and new information about people I didn't know about within their immediate family.

In other instances it had led to whole new lines of relatives from close to 200 years ago - two of these are about siblings of my great great great grandfather Moffat - in one of these cases I knew the sibling's name but nothing else. One of her descendants contacted me since we had common great great great great grandparents who Google pointed him to my site about and he had much information about her descendants, and in the second I didn't even originally know the sibling's name, until she turned up in the 1841 Scottish census living with her sister who was the sibling mentioned in the first case. Once I put her online, one of her descendants contacted me and provided information about people I didn't know existed just a few months previously.

The moral of all of the above is that don't want until you think you've found it all to "put it out there" - get it out there and let people find you.

As to how to put it online...

Reunion provides HTML output in various formats direct from Reunion. This can include copies of photos of people, images of scanned documents, etc etc. A Reunion generated website is self contained - a whole set of interlinked files and folders that you just need to upload to an internet service provider somewhere.

You probably already have some web space available as part of however it is that you get online for your eMail. Check with them to see what it is that they offer.

Or

You can find many hosting services that will provide you the space etc for as little as $5 a month.

The advantage of going with a hosting provider might be that it allows you to have your own domain name (cost around $9 or less a year) which then means the address of your site stays constant even if you switch your internet service providers and so get a different eMail address.

More advanced and complex is something like my site, linked from my signature below which runs on my own PowerMac G4 computer from home, online through my DSL connection. I've been running my own site online from my own computer since very early 2000 - initially using Reunion web cards and person sheets, and for the last few years with the TNG software that allows more advanced features to be part of it, like the map on this page for example...

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

which is generated dynamically based on the place names associated with the person's events.

Cheers

Roger

SGilbert
06 January 2007, 05:59 PM
BUT...Just remember: Publishing on the web opens up a "whole new can of worms"

Do a search for the trials and tribulations you may encounter.

Personally, I will NOT expose my relatives, both present and future, to that invasion of privacy. I don't condone it, it's just not for me. What my relatives do with any info I give them (freely and happily) is their business.

dseifert
06 January 2007, 10:12 PM
BUT...Just remember: Publishing on the web opens up a "whole new can of worms"

Do a search for the trials and tribulations you may encounter.

Personally, I will NOT expose my relatives, both present and future, to that invasion of privacy. I don't condone it, it's just not for me. What my relatives do with any info I give them (freely and happily) is their business.

To each his own I reckon. I know that my publishing on the web so far has been nothing but fun and interest to many of my relatives. It has prompted many of them to offer information for me to add.

Any information that could possibly be a problem for anyone stays safely tucked away inside the data base.

Karen Peters
07 January 2007, 10:23 AM
Another option (until you're comfortable making your own website) is to put it on Rootsweb's World Connect Project http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/

You still control your file and can edit it (or remove it) when you want.

At least that's the way it used to work before Rootsweb partnered with Ancestry. I read through the FAQs and that still seemed to be the case. Does anyone who is more informed have any thoughts on this?

marnen
07 January 2007, 02:51 PM
Reunion will produce reasonable Web pages, but you might want to create a GEDCOM file and post it to http://www.rodovid.org instead (or in addition). Also, you should know about TNG (http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php), which does an amazing job of making a GEDCOM file viewable on the Web. Roger mentioned it briefly.

jbkeene
09 January 2007, 08:43 PM
Another option (until you're comfortable making your own website) is to put it on Rootsweb's World Connect Project http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/

You still control your file and can edit it (or remove it) when you want.

At least that's the way it used to work before Rootsweb partnered with Ancestry. I read through the FAQs and that still seemed to be the case. Does anyone who is more informed have any thoughts on this?

I have a website on Rootsweb's WorldConnect and it still works the way it used to in the days before Ancestry bought Rootsweb. It gets plenty of hits due to its being linked to Ancestry and Rootsweb. In fact, it also appears on the Ancestry website as part of Ancestry World Tree. My website is at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=jbkeene if you want to take a look. To put your gedcom online at WorldConnect go to http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/ .

In addition, I have a website at Rootsweb's Freepages. This one is a mishmash of (mostly) Reunion family webcards with some additional pages that I made. Since I don't object to the small ads they place on my webpages for Rootsweb and Ancestry.com I don't see any downside to this website. The URL to apply for freepages is http://accounts.rootsweb.com/index.cgi?op=show&page=freagree.htm .

I am mostly happy with both these services and they are completely free. The one unfortunate problem with WorldConnect (or Ancestry World Tree) is that Ancestry.com has taken data from the WorldConnect (alias Ancestry World Tree) websites and is selling it as part of their OneWorldTree. In the process, much of the information gets garbled. For example, my Ggrandfather, Augustus Mannington, died in 31 Chapel Park Road, St. Leonards on Sea. This is located in Sussex, England - a fact that is missing from my WorldConnect website but which I have updated on my computer and will eventually update on WorldConnect. But OneWorldTree shows his death place as being 31 Chapel Park Road, St. Leonards on Sea, Ontario, Canada. Where on earth did it get that last bit of information? Out of thin air? They reference a 2004 version of my Ancestry World Tree website as the only source of the information. Since it is a 2004 version, even when I correct my WorldConnect website, OneWorldTree will continue to contain the incorrect data. To all who use the OneWorldTree one word of advice - don't! I have found many blatent errors

Jocelyn

martha
10 January 2007, 02:13 AM
More advanced and complex is something like my site, linked from my signature below which runs on my own PowerMac G4 computer from home, online through my DSL connection. I've been running my own site online from my own computer since very early 2000 - initially using Reunion web cards and person sheets, and for the last few years with the TNG software that allows more advanced features to be part of it, like the map on this page for example...

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

which is generated dynamically based on the place names associated with the person's events.

Cheers

Roger

Oiy, Roger, why do I have such problems with your site? This is what came up:

Not Found
The requested URL /thispagedoesnotexist.html was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at roger.lisaandroger.com Port 80

I was interested in seeing your map page.

Martha

marnen
10 January 2007, 03:47 AM
The link worked fine for me in Safari on OS X 10.4.8 . Try it again...maybe the server was having problems?

Karen Peters
10 January 2007, 09:00 AM
I am mostly happy with both these services and they are completely free. The one unfortunate problem with WorldConnect (or Ancestry World Tree) is that Ancestry.com has taken data from the WorldConnect (alias Ancestry World Tree) websites and is selling it as part of their OneWorldTree. In the process, much of the information gets garbled.
Jocelyn

Thanks, that's the part I was wondering about. It's not just the garbling that kind of worries me, it's also that I've made mistakes on some of my research and I like to have control of things so I can make corrections.

Al Poulin
10 January 2007, 11:03 AM
To each his own I reckon. I know that my publishing on the web so far has been nothing but fun and interest to many of my relatives. It has prompted many of them to offer information for me to add.

Any information that could possibly be a problem for anyone stays safely tucked away inside the data base.

There are points of caution here. To be more specific, is it to NOT publish data about people still living? And to NOT publish data about recently deceased ancestors or relatives which may be embarassing to family members? Do you draw the line at these points? And where else?
Al Poulin

dseifert
10 January 2007, 06:23 PM
There are points of caution here. To be more specific, is it to NOT publish data about people still living? And to NOT publish data about recently deceased ancestors or relatives which may be embarassing to family members? Do you draw the line at these points? And where else?
Al Poulin

well... I personally have chosen not to publish any data pertaining to living or deceased persons if I think that information will be embarrassing or uncomfortable to anyone living. But that's just me. I dont consider my web site as an official record or anything like that. On the other hand, the same information is in my family file and will remain there for whoever takes over after me.

I look at the web publishing and the private data collection as two different animals.

But that's just me :)

Bill Guion
10 January 2007, 11:30 PM
Oiy, Roger, why do I have such problems with your site? This is what came up:

Not Found
The requested URL /thispagedoesnotexist.html was not found on this server.

Martha

I got the same response, and Eudora told me the URL was syntactically invalid. It turns out my copy was missing a "&" in front of tree. I copied the URL and pasted it into my browser and added the &. All worked at that point.

-----===== Bill =====-----