PDA

View Full Version : OS9 & OSX cooperation?

SGilbert
02 April 2005, 04:18 PM
I have a dual-boot TiBook, but found out that Reunion will NOT work on both at the same time, so I deleted the OSX version. Seems the X version changes the "family file", and then the OS9 version will not work.

Has anyone an idea how to be able to use the same family file is both OSs?

Bob White
03 April 2005, 03:47 AM
I don't even understand why you would want to run in both OS'. To my knowledge, there is no advantage to this plan.

SGilbert
03 April 2005, 01:32 PM
Well, let me attempt to explain.

I've been an Apple user since the Apple II days. Learned computing by the school of hard knocks (crashes) mostly with OS9. I'm no expert, but if anything ever happens with 9 (and it does!), I can "diddle & fiddle" my way back to health quite easily, as it is easily customizable and forgiving. NOT SO with OSX! I am also the unofficial Apple guru and updater of 4 other Macs in the household, in addition to 5-6 friends/relatives. ALL OS9.

As for Reunion, my wife and I are both active genealogists with our individual families. I do her entering for her family on my computer, and transfer the family card to her computer (Powerbook G3 Pismo-OS9 only) weekly. I am the "keeper" of the "master lists".

Only for the apps and features in X do I reboot to it. Call me old fashioned, stubborn, antiquated, or whatever---I prefer 9 to X 98% of the time.

OS9 is NOT DEAD!!

Al Cooper
03 April 2005, 04:05 PM

I've been an Apple user since the Apple II days. Learned computing by the school of hard knocks (crashes) mostly with OS9. I'm no expert, but if anything ever happens with 9 (and it does!), I can "diddle & fiddle" my way back to health quite easily, as it is easily customizable and forgiving. NOT SO with OSX! I am also the unofficial Apple guru and updater of 4 other Macs in the household, in addition to 5-6 friends/relatives. ALL OS9.

As for Reunion, my wife and I are both active genealogists with our individual families. I do her entering for her family on my computer, and transfer the family card to her computer (Powerbook G3 Pismo-OS9 only) weekly. I am the "keeper" of the "master lists".

Only for the apps and features in X do I reboot to it. Call me old fashioned, stubborn, antiquated, or whatever---I prefer 9 to X 98% of the time.

OS9 is NOT DEAD!!

You are absolutely right that OS9 is not dead but it is on its last legs. I am using an iMac G5 17" and it will not boot up in OS9. It does support limited use of OS9 in the Classic mode but I no longer use any OS9 applications.

When I first started using OS X and opened my family Reunion file it was converted so that it now opens only in OSX. Once you become familiar with the current version of OS X I think you will agree that is is much more stable and friendly than OS9.

My wife uses a G3 iMac that will still boot in either OSX or OS9 but there are few reasons to actually reboot in OS9 since it is possible to open OS9 applications in the OSX Classic mode.

SGilbert
03 April 2005, 05:12 PM
Yes Al, but once a family file is "converted" in X, it can't be used in 9---meaning I can't transfer it to another 9 only computer!

X may be more stable, but certainly not more friendly! 9 is NOT even on it's last legs. It is a health, living, breathing, competant OS.

Also, I've found that 9 only apps run far better in 9 than in Classic mode on X (Some not at all).

Suffice to say that I won't totally switch until I HAVE to, and right now---I don't have to! I've got the best of both (except, of course, Reunion!)

fmlyhntr
03 April 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm still refusing to update to OS X, mainly because I have several programs I use regularly that so far have not been updated to work in X or classic. I like 9! (I see no reason to pay lots of money to get a similar program that does).

My mom has OS X and classic mode--and I'm seriously considering redoing her computer so I can get rid of X--which I find painful to deal with--especially over the phone.

Christina

Ronald R. Pitkin
03 April 2005, 11:35 PM
I have three Macs; a 450 Performa, a G3 PowerBook 8.6, and a G4 iMac OS X v. 10.3.8 (also has OS9) the Performa and G3 PB both crash occassionally. The G4 iMac running on OS X has never crashed. Once in a great while an app might quit but there is not crash, simply start the app again. Reunion 5 is installed on the G3 and used it in Scotland this past summer. Recently installed Reunion 8 on the G4 and loaded the R5 family file from the G3 on to the the G4, upgraded, and it works beautifully. OS X is just a dream compared to the older OS 7.5, OS 8.6 and OS 9. And I like Reunion 8 very much. Have about 1400 individuals and several family lines back into the mid 1500s.

Ronald R. Pitkin

fjvanbodegom
04 April 2005, 03:49 AM
A little contribution to this discussion.
There is NO conversion of the Reunion 8 family file. You can use the same familyfile for OS 8/9 AND for OS X. At home I have an old blue/white G3 (with OS 9.2) and for visiting the archives a PowerBook G4 (OS X)
Going to the archives I put the familyfile on my PowerBook and back home back to my main desktop Mac. No problems at all.
Suppose you are using Reunion 8 !

Bob White
04 April 2005, 03:57 AM
I'm still refusing to update to OS X, mainly because I have several programs I use regularly that so far have not been updated to work in X or classic. I like 9! (I see no reason to pay lots of money to get a similar program that does).I've won several bets lately on those issues. There's hardly anything left that hasn't been updated. And the only software I've found that wouldn't run in Classic was stuff written when System 4 or 5 was the cat's meow. (That's 15 years more or less ago.)

I do agree on the money issue and acted that way early on but I've cycled through updating those programs over time. I've been using OSX since 10.1 was released in September 2001. Actually, since my favorite game, Apeiron, was updated for OSX a few months back, the only time I've started up Classic was related to said bets! Anyway, I'd recommend that you do like I did and spend the $$ only when the next major updates come out. That spread the purchases over a couple years.

SGilbert
04 April 2005, 11:37 AM
Frans,

WRONG! At least on my machine which is dual-boot.

Once I open a family file in X, the file cannot be opened in 9 at all unless the X version of Reunion is trashed. Then it will open. Therefore, you MAY be correct, but the "attributes" or "creator" or "type" is changed.

As long as the 9 & X versions reside on the same machine--only the X version will open the family file.

(And, YES, both are v 8.0.5)

Gregg
04 April 2005, 12:06 PM
Frans,

WRONG! At least on my machine which is dual-boot.Frans is correct here.

I am not sure what you are experiencing, but a family file can be freely passed between the OS X and the Classic versions of Reunion 8. That is how Reunion 8 was designed.

...I've found that 9 only apps run far better in 9 than in Classic mode on X...This is certainly true since Classic mode is running as an emulation on top of OS X. I would expect delays and troubles running anything in Classic mode. This is why everyone gets two flavors of Reunion 8.

fjvanbodegom
04 April 2005, 12:55 PM
I believe you and your explanation immediately in the situation where you use two systems on the same machine (and looking back to the original question, on a dual-boot machine)
But in my situation I can change my Reunion 8 familyfile without problems between OS 8/9 and OS X on two mac's with a different OS system, so I thought nothing is changed at the familiy file.

SGilbert
04 April 2005, 01:05 PM
Gregg,

All I can tell you is that if Reunion 8 resides in 9 & X versions on the same machine, while in 9, it will not open...saying something like "this file is not for your operating system" or some such.

I will add, however, I have similiar troubles with MS Word. Double clicking on a Word doc in 9 will attempt to open the X version (which it cannot). If I drag the Word doc to 9's version of Word, it will open.

Only thought is that somehow the "type" and "creator" are changed.

Gregg
04 April 2005, 01:20 PM
...if Reunion 8 resides in 9 & X versions on the same machine, while in 9, it will not open...saying something like "this file is not for your operating system" or some such.
Only thought is that somehow the "type" and "creator" are changed.Sounds like OS 9 is confused by the 2 copies of Reunion.

Try dropping an alias to the application onto the Desktop. Then drop the family file onto that alias to open it. This way the OS will explicitly know which of the two applications to start up.

SGilbert
04 April 2005, 09:04 PM
OK Gregg & All,

I rebooted into X; installed 8.0 from CD, updated to 8.0.5, then to 8.0.6. I started Reunion 8.0.6, opened my family file from dialog, and it asked me if I wanted to "Update family File" I did NOT! All well to this point.

I then rebooted in 9, and double clicked my family file. Here's the Warning dialog I got"

<<The application Reunion 8 could not be opened because "CarbonLib--LSOpenFromRefSpec" could not be found.

You may need to install a newer version of "CarbonLib--LSOpenFromRefSpec".>>

When I dragged the family file to an alias of Reunion 8 (in 9) the file opened flawlessly! I have 2 family files and I checked Type & Creator on the "X-opened" one and the other that I never opened in X. Both were indetical--- Type: R~D8, Creator: R~U8 (the umlat is higher up)---so much for MY theory!

Question:
1) Should I "Update Family File" in 8.0.6 in X? What does it do? Will it still open in 9 the way Gregg suggested?

martha
05 April 2005, 04:03 AM
Sounds like OS 9 is confused by the 2 copies of Reunion.

Try dropping an alias to the application onto the Desktop. Then drop the family file onto that alias to open it. This way the OS will explicitly know which of the two applications to start up.I tried to use my powerbook G3 as a backup to my OSX reunion 8, but it wouldn't work. It has OS 9.2.2 on it. In addition, I was unable to open the OSX Reunion in my iBook [OSX 10.3.8] when I tried to do that in OS 9, which also resides there. So there seems to be some sort of problem here that the folks at Reunion are unaware of.

Martha in Israel

Gregg
05 April 2005, 09:59 AM
...it asked me if I wanted to "Update family File" I did NOT!
...Should I "Update Family File" in 8.0.6 in X? What does it do?I really don't think that Reunion will ask you if you want to update a family file. This just doen't sound like something that Reunion would say. What is the exact wording of that message and is there an icon in the window?

Gregg
05 April 2005, 10:05 AM
So there seems to be some sort of problem here that the folks at Reunion are unaware of.Reunion's support for OS X and Classic is pretty solid. While I'm not sure from your message just what is happening, try reinstalling Reunion from the CD on the system and OS that is giving you trouble.

Also, if you have both OS X and Classic versions of Reunion 8 installed on the same machine, be sure to drop an alias to the Reunion application onto the Desktop so you can drag and drop family files on it to open them.

Steve Holmes
05 April 2005, 10:55 AM

OS9 is NOT DEAD!!

(Chuckle) I started using Macs with the Mac Plus (not as early as the Apple II), but I've been a Unix sysadmin since about the same time. I love the Mac OS GUI, but I really love the Unix OS power and flexibility, so you can imagine my love for OSX which has the best of both worlds. Granted, there are some Darwinisms that aren't really Unix(tm) (e.g. netinfo), but I can do a lot of cool things in OSX that would take advanced Mac programming in OS 9 (which I don't have) to accomplish.

Steve..

Ronald R. Pitkin
05 April 2005, 03:12 PM
I have a dual-boot TiBook, but found out that Reunion will NOT work on both at the same time, so I deleted the OSX version. Seems the X version changes the "family file", and then the OS9 version will not work.

Has anyone an idea how to be able to use the same family file is both OSs?
I downloaded onto a Zip 250 disc my family file which is Reunion 5 on a G3 PowerBook running OS 8.6. My G4 iMac has a new Reunion 8.06 installed and runs on OS X v 10.3.8 and OS X is the start up disc. I loaded the Reunion 5 family file onto the Reunion 8 and Upgraded under OS X. I have no need for Reunion on OS 9 because I use my PowerBook 8.6 for field work. However, if I did want to Reunion 5 on the iMac I would specify OS 9 as the startup disc and simply load Reunion 5 from the Zip disc and not upgrade. But, as another responder wrote, why would I want to use it on OS 9 when OS X is so much more stable.

SGilbert
05 April 2005, 10:53 PM
Gregg,

Upon opening Reunion 8 in X, I have to go to File->Open to "maneuver" to my family file(s) which reside in the Reunion folder in Applications (Mac OS 9) folder on my HD.

The window that comes up has 2 options in the 2nd to bottom line: New Family File and Upgrade Family File. The bottom line of this window has 3 options: New Folder; Cancel; and Open.

"Upgrade Family File" is what I am referring to.

(Ron & Steve, It's never been a matter of X being more stable OR doing cool things with X. It a matter of being able to do what I want to do; when I want to do it; and with what I want to do it with! PERIOD)

Gregg
06 April 2005, 09:26 AM
The window that comes up has 2 options in the 2nd to bottom line: New Family File and Upgrade Family File. The bottom line of this window has 3 options: New Folder; Cancel; and Open.

"Upgrade Family File" is what I am referring to.Oh... That button is common to both versions. It's for upgrading family files from versions older than 8.

Stephen Hill
06 April 2005, 01:59 PM

OS9 is NOT DEAD!!Diddle n fiddle and come up smiling is my experience with OS 9. But I.m using OS X and my experience of it over the last year is that it was designed by techies and is rhapsodiesed by techies. Moi, your regular punter, I have problems all the time with OS X. One of the "joys" of a PC is that there are so many people with PCs that you can virtually stop anyone on the street and get an answer to your problem and there are so many mags with solutions to your problem. That said, I like the Mac, but I just wish that the techies would ownup to the fact that OS X, in consumer terms, is nowhere near as friendly as OS 9 - You can't even move a file without it giving you problems. I suppose the PC movers to Mac will say "What's so different about the Mac it's as arcane and as shifty eyed as a PC" However, the Macs big, big plus is that it has Reunion and I like it

cheers

steve hill uk

rwridenour
06 April 2005, 02:07 PM
I am not sure what your problem is. I have a dual-boot G3 iBook and have no problems using the same family file in either OS9.2.2 and Reunion 8.05 or OS10.3.8 and Reunion 8.06. I have my hard drive partioned into three volumes: one for OS9.2.2 and Reunion 8.05, one for OS10.3.8 and one for Reunion 8.06, and one for data files.

When I double click on my Reunion family file, it opens in the version of Reunion that runs under the OS in which the machine was booted.

Be warned that partitioning a hard drive will reformat it erasing ALL contents!