PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to my Appleworks?

DelbertCurlin
29 December 2006, 02:40 PM
I have several appleworks documents but I don't use it very often; However; when I try to open "Appleworks 6.app" I now get this message. "You cannot open the application "Appleworks 6.app" because it is not supported on this system." OK is my only option.
I am on an ibook with Mac OS X, ver 10.4.8, 90 MHz PPC G3, with 384 MB SDRAM.
Anyone?????

nanak
29 December 2006, 03:34 PM
I have several appleworks documents but I don't use it very often; However; when I try to open "Appleworks 6.app" I now get this message. "You cannot open the application "Appleworks 6.app" because it is not supported on this system." OK is my only option.
I am on an ibook with Mac OS X, ver 10.4.8, 90 MHz PPC G3, with 384 MB SDRAM.
Anyone?????

Do you have the Appleworks 6 application on your computer? I am running 10.4.8 and it works on my laptop but I had to load the application from the original disk since I don't think it is not provided by Apple any more as an automatic application.

DelbertCurlin
29 December 2006, 05:54 PM
Do you have the Appleworks 6 application on your computer? I am running 10.4.8 and it works on my laptop but I had to load the application from the original disk since I don't think it is not provided by Apple any more as an automatic application.

There is a folder with an app inside by that name using 28 KB. Previously; I've had this computer several years -- since maybe 02 or 03 -- Bought OS X at the apple store probably 2005., I thought I had been using appleworks as I have some documents which I named appleworks docs. Hey I also bought I work iwork and ilife 05 right after buying OS X. I can't find appleworks on a disc by that name maybe it was preloaded like everything else was when I bought the computer. Guess I'm just out of luck unless I can find how to use the those iwork and ilife05 programs I'll just have to use textedit. thanx

SVass
29 December 2006, 06:23 PM
There is a folder with an app inside by that name using 28 KB. Previously; I've had this computer several years -- since maybe 02 or 03 -- Bought OS X at the apple store probably 2005., I thought I had been using appleworks as I have some documents which I named appleworks docs. Hey I also bought I work iwork and ilife 05 right after buying OS X. I can't find appleworks on a disc by that name maybe it was preloaded like everything else was when I bought the computer. Guess I'm just out of luck unless I can find how to use the those iwork and ilife05 programs I'll just have to use textedit. thanx

There are two versions of Appleworks 6. One runs under OSX and the other under 9.x. You appear to have neither installed as they are much larger than 28k in size. You should have two folders on your hard disk, one named Applications and the other named Applications (Mac OS 9). Look inside both for a folder and/or a file named AppleWorks 6.app. The file on my machine is 23.6 MB in size. Another suggestion would be to download the FREE office competitor NeoOffice. http://www.neooffice.org/ sam

DelbertCurlin
29 December 2006, 08:37 PM
There are two versions of Appleworks 6. One runs under OSX and the other under 9.x. You appear to have neither installed as they are much larger than 28k in size. You should have two folders on your hard disk, one named Applications and the other named Applications (Mac OS 9). Look inside both for a folder and/or a file named AppleWorks 6.app. The file on my machine is 23.6 MB in size. Another suggestion would be to download the FREE office competitor NeoOffice. http://www.neooffice.org/ sam

The NeoOffice sounds good BUT Will it work with Reunion as my destination program like Appleworks used to? (By the way there is no app for Appeworks under applications folder: Just the one under Appleworks (Mac OS 9) --But it no longer works.) And I cannot find a disc for Appleworks anywhere in my files. Thanx - Delbert

Frank
29 December 2006, 08:59 PM
The NeoOffice sounds good BUT Will it work with Reunion as my destination program like Appleworks used to?...I just tried it, and it worked. Also, I think Tom Robinson and Marnen, two active ReunionTalkers, both use NeoOffice. I'm sure there are others too.

marnen
30 December 2006, 10:15 AM
You're quite right, Frank; I do use NeoOffice. I've never tried to get Reunion to talk to it, but I doubt that it would be a problem. At the moment, I've been having Reunion send RTF files to TextEdit.

DelbertCurlin
30 December 2006, 08:45 PM
I just tried it, and it worked. Also, I think Tom Robinson and Marnen, two active ReunionTalkers, both use NeoOffice. I'm sure there are others too.

Thanks Frank and the rest for your help. Soon as I figure out what x11 for NeoOffice is I'll try to download and give it a go. I'm not very computer savvy on these different program languages but I'll give it a try. I'm still trying to figure out where Appleworks went but can get by without it.

Delbert

Terry Medlar
30 December 2006, 09:09 PM
Isn't iWork the replacement for Appleworks? I use iPages and I am very pleased with it.

marnen
31 December 2006, 04:41 AM
Soon as I figure out what x11 for NeoOffice is I'll try to download and give it a go.
You don't need X11 to use NeoOffice. That's why I recommend it rather than OpenOffice (which does require X11). NeoOffice is a native Mac OS application and does not require any additional software as far as I can recall.
I'm not very computer savvy on these different program languages but I'll give it a try.
X11 isn't a programming language; rather, it's a GUI for the Unix side of Mac OS X. If you need it, you can find it as an optional installation from your system CD or DVD.

DelbertCurlin
02 January 2007, 02:05 PM
Isn't iWork the replacement for Appleworks? I use iPages and I am very pleased with it.

Do you mean you can direct reports, charts etch from Reunion direct to pages?
The pages i have is from Appleworks 05 (not 06).
I assumed (?) that Pages was a new program because page 8 of the manual says you can import documents from Microsoft Word and Appleworks. Maybe it overwrote my Appleworks when i installed Pages.
For me I wish these programs could just settle down and quit trying to be all things for all users. Just change and update basic necessities of the program. "Sorry for the sound off but I for one am getting to old the keep up.

marnen
02 January 2007, 02:12 PM
Do you mean you can direct reports, charts etch from Reunion direct to pages?
Why not? You can send reports from Reunion to any word processor that understands RTF files.
The pages i have is from Appleworks 05 (not 06).
Then you have Appleworks, not Pages. Or did you mean that it's from iWork '05?
I assumed (?) that Pages was a new program because page 8 of the manual says you can import documents from Microsoft Word and Appleworks.
Pages is sort of a new program; it's the successor to Appleworks.
Maybe it overwrote my Appleworks when i installed Pages.
Possibly. I don't know how the Pages installer deals with that.
For me I wish these programs could just settle down and quit trying to be all things for all users. Just change and update basic necessities of the program.
Not everyone would agree on what those basic necessities are. The feature that you never use might be my most critical requirement.
"Sorry for the sound off but I for one am getting to old the keep up.
You're never too old to keep up...

DelbertCurlin
02 January 2007, 03:29 PM
Then you have Appleworks, not Pages. Or did you mean that it's from iWork '05?
My goof; Yes I meant iWork 05

Not everyone would agree on what those basic necessities are. The feature that you never use might be my most critical requirement.
What I mean by basic is : If it was good enough to use then don't keep coming out with changes which just satisfy a few - wait until there are significant changes to justify having all users go through updateing. THIS is wht REUNION does and it doesn't keep me confused with changes all the time.
And I started with a Mac original floppy Leister Productions 1988-1994.

You're never too old to keep up...
I wouldn't have thought so either until this past year,,Cancer,Pneumonia and Shingles pretty well wiped me out but I keep trying to stay in the race.

Tom Robinson
02 January 2007, 07:46 PM
Soon as I figure out what x11 for NeoOffice is I'll try to download and give it a go. I'm not very computer savvy on these different program languages but I'll give it a try.
As Marnen says, you don't need X11. NeoOffice is self-contained and can be downloaded (for free*) from http://www.neooffice.org/

It's a very comprehensive program (think Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access all rolled into one), and so has a correspondingly higher learning curve.

Depending on your computer literacy, you may want to investigate Pages (part of iWork) first.

NeoOffice Version 2 (currently beta) supports the OpenDocument format--which has a promising future as a vendor-independent, standardised, and documented, method of storing documents. Hopefully these documents stand a better chance than proprietary formats of still being readable in the years to come.

I import RTF files generated by Reunion, and use NeoOffice to produce self-published books of my family history (good memory Frank). It supports indexing, table of contents, master documents, and much more. From my experience with a 130 page book with many images, and what I've read, it beats Word for reliability

*Having said it's free, I've made donations to both OpenOffice and NeoOffice.

LarryN
02 January 2007, 08:42 PM
>>>Pages is sort of a new program; it's the successor to Appleworks. Possibly. I don't know how the Pages installer deals with that.<<<

I have both. When I installed Pages it did not touch Appleworks. I can still use either or both.

Sheila Kronenberger
05 January 2007, 02:19 PM
As Marnen says, you don't need X11. NeoOffice is self-contained and can be downloaded (for free*) from http://www.neooffice.org/

I downloaded NeoOffice (it took about 14 hours) but when I tried to open it I got the following message:

"The Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive has expired. To order your copy of Office 2004, click Buy Now.

For more information about what features have been disabled please see the Read Me."

How can I get around this???

I am using an iBook G4, Mac OSX 10.3.9, Reunion 8.06

Sheila, Belleville, Illinois

Bob Goode
05 January 2007, 03:46 PM
I downloaded NeoOffice (it took about 14 hours) but when I tried to open it I got the following message:

"The Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive has expired. To order your copy of Office 2004, click Buy Now.

For more information about what features have been disabled please see the Read Me."

You probably have the Demo version of Microsoft Office 2004, which came with your iBook. Open your applications folder and look for a folder Microsoft Office 2004. Trash it. This is assuming you did not purchase Microsoft Office 2004 and then you may have both the Demo version and the actual application. If this is the case, make sure you trash the Demo version. I am assuming you only have the Demo Version. Once the Demo version of Office is gone, try NeoOffice again.

The Demo version of Office was only good for 30 days and had other limitiations.

theKiwi
05 January 2007, 03:56 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=office2004td

probably will help.

Roger

Sheila Kronenberger
05 January 2007, 06:47 PM
You probably have the Demo version of Microsoft Office 2004, which came with your iBook. Open your applications folder and look for a folder Microsoft Office 2004. Trash it. This is assuming you did not purchase Microsoft Office 2004 and then you may have both the Demo version and the actual application. If this is the case, make sure you trash the Demo version. I am assuming you only have the Demo Version. Once the Demo version of Office is gone, try NeoOffice again.

The Demo version of Office was only good for 30 days and had other limitiations.

Excellent suggestion which should have worked. But I did that and now get a message that says:

"The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code - 10660"

Any further thoughts??

Sheila in Belleville, IL

Bob Goode
05 January 2007, 10:03 PM
Excellent suggestion which should have worked. But I did that and now get a message that says:

"The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code - 10660"

Any further thoughts??

Sheila in Belleville, IL

Quit all applications.

If an item is still in trash, then hold down the command key and empty trash. The command key is immediately left of the space bar. Or - Use "Secure empty trash."

Hopefully, this will eliminate the problem.

I forgot about the "remove Office" file as per Roger Moffat's previous post.

If this does not work, then email me so I can help you.

kbgoode at swbell (dot) net

Bob

S. Kennedy
05 January 2007, 11:46 PM

Sheila,
I believe the several suggestions given are good but I don't understand why you were getting this message. I have only received this message after the trial version of MS Office expired and I tried to open a document created by Office. I never had a problem opening NeoOffice directly from the application. I did get rid of the trial version of Office and set the default application for Office created documents to NeoOffice and everything works fine for Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.

S. Kennedy

Tom Robinson
06 January 2007, 01:03 AM
I suspect you're trying to start NeoOffice by clicking on a .doc or .rtf file, but these are still associated with Microsoft Office.

You can always force NeoOffice to start by going into the Applications folder (in the Finder select Go -> Applications), and then double-clicking NeoOffice. Once it's running you can use File -> Open to open your documents.

For a more permanent fix: In the Finder select one of your .doc files and do a Get Info (command-I). Go down to Open With, and choose NeoOffice from the list. Then click Change All. You'll need to repeat this for other documents you wish to open with NeoOffice (.rtf, .xls, etc.)

There's some good NeoOffice forums at:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums

And for more general OpenOffice queries (NeoOffice being the Mac version of OpenOffice):

http://www.oooforum.org/

marnen
06 January 2007, 03:28 AM

You tried to open MS Office instead of NeoOffice. Run the NeoOffice installer that you downloaded, and you should see NeoOffice in your Applications folder.

DelbertCurlin
10 January 2007, 08:20 PM
Depending on your computer literacy, you may want to investigate Pages (part of iWork) first.

Thanx Tom for the suggestion. You are right; at my level today I need simplification most of all. I have been trying "Pages" and everything looks good. I was even able to open my 'Appleworks' documents and save them as pages documents.

Thanx to all the rest also -
This is one fine group even if some do get a bit testy at times.

Lou Anne Shimek
18 January 2007, 10:17 PM

I had a lot of problems with Microsoft Office as it did not open a lot of my Appleworks files and the new Pages and Textedit didn't offer any spreadsheet or database options which I've been using for years. I stumbled across an earlier version of the Mini and found that it had Appleworks. I purchased it (OS X) for $89, A lot less than $400 for Microsoft.

George Chapman
22 January 2007, 09:16 PM
I would like to suggest that if a person went to <http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa> or to the Apple website and click on support then discussions, look for the Appleworks section, you will find many answers about Appleworks that you are asking in this thread. If your questions are not answered, log in and ask. These people are really good with Appleworks.

marnen
23 January 2007, 02:23 PM
I stumbled across an earlier version of the Mini and found that it had Appleworks. I purchased it (OS X) for $89, A lot less than $400 for Microsoft.
And there's an even cheaper option: NeoOffice/J (http://www.neooffice.org), which is free (and does everything MS Office does). It won't directly open Appleworks files, but Appleworks can export into MS Office formats, which NeoOffice can read. See http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Opening_AppleWorks_documents for more info.