PDA

View Full Version : Website and privacy notations

Dinee
27 December 2006, 06:00 PM
Recently a relative of mine brought to my attention, that her info and that of her children, was appearing on my website. This of course was because she has never provided me with the DOB of herself and her kiddos and grandkids and inlaw kiddos. So without that DOB data their info was slipping through the cracks and appearing on my website.

I've gone and put a check mark next to their name in the index and set them to be private.

My question is this: Do any of you put a disclaimer on your website, to note that you wish to be supportive of the privacy of those who are living? If so, what wording do you use?

Here is the wording I am playing with - but maybe I'll get some ideas from y'all too.

Recently the National Genealogical Society established a set guidlines which have been released regarding "Standards For Sharing Information With Others".

Knowing that these standards have been established, it is my wish to respect my living relatives' right to privacy! Therefore if you find anything on this site that violates that right to privacy, please contact me and kindly request that the information be restricted to private. Ususally this information is on the site simply because an individual's date of birth is mising from my data base. Simply adding the appropriate date of birth enables the information to automatically be restricted to a private status! :) I'll be happy to work with you and your right for privacy.

Corrections or additions for anyone listed on this genealogy website, are welcome. The accuracy of the information is not certified and is subject to change and correction as appropriate.

idfitter
28 December 2006, 05:14 AM
My site says:

I take privacy very seriously. All living persons within this tree are listed only as 'Living' with no further information. If you find any persons who are living, but are not marked as such, please contact me immediately, and I will rectify the situation immediately.

kyuck
28 December 2006, 01:50 PM
My site says:

I take privacy very seriously. All living persons within this tree are listed only as 'Living' with no further information. If you find any persons who are living, but are not marked as such, please contact me immediately, and I will rectify the situation immediately.
Ian, the "Contact Me" buttons on your web site don't work. I have a question about the DOBCalc.xls sheet. Could you contact me?

idfitter
30 December 2006, 01:03 PM
Ian, the "Contact Me" buttons on your web site don't work. I have a question about the DOBCalc.xls sheet. Could you contact me?
Yes, it was being used for spam, so I've disabled it until I can apply the patch (today hopefully).

Jerry Nutter
20 August 2008, 09:46 AM
I would like to how to avoid being spammed from an e-mail address posted at a genealogy website? Is it just as simple as spelling out the address?

Kim R
20 August 2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, it was being used for spam, so I've disabled it until I can apply the patch (today hopefully).

What is the 'patch'?

geraldMartinDavenport
17 September 2008, 06:58 PM
I would like to how to avoid being spammed from an e-mail address posted at a genealogy website? Is it just as simple as spelling out the address?

That is one way. There are so many more. But that one is second best.

Wait, third best.

1) do not post email on sites
2) use a feedback script
3) writing it out.
4) Javascript

Yeah, 3rd best option.