PDA

View Full Version : How to handle: Same last name, differnt family

xejn
22 December 2006, 10:14 AM
I have a new puzzle.

I have a line from Illinois where the paternal surname is Smith (from North Carolina), and it seems one of the maternal branches (Cooper) married into another Smith family (from Virginia). I have no indication of the NC and VA Smiths being connected, so for now, I am considering them seperate.

The question is, should I mark or label the two families in some way so I can easily tell them apart?

And if so, how would you do it?

My Smith's from NC settles mostly in Williams and Cooper Township, while the VA Smith mostly settled in Curran Township

marnen
22 December 2006, 11:59 AM
This might be a good situation in which to use custom flags.

Joanna Ashmun
22 December 2006, 07:37 PM
The question is, should I mark or label the two families in some way so I can easily tell them apart?

And if so, how would you do it?

The thing I'd be concerned about is recognizing them in the index, so I'd put a symbol or designation in the first name field after the name, say {SC} and {VA}. This makes them easy to find and easy to avoid when you're looking for the other one.

Agnes E. Cloninger
22 December 2006, 08:35 PM
I have a new puzzle.

Michael

Custom flags would be fine but how about the simple act of placing an asterisk * after the Smith's in one family, this would bring them all together in the index and make them quick and easy to deal with - perhaps a little extra work to remove said asterisk when one wanted to create fam gp sheets or pedigree charts, but in the long run it works for me.

Agnes

fmlyhntr
22 December 2006, 10:50 PM
I have a similar situation and use custom flags. It works real well. And someday, when the 2 of the 4 combine (which I suspect may happen), it well be easy to reflag them.

Christina

metfordplatt
23 December 2006, 03:50 AM
Unfortunately there is not much you can do. I'd say if they were in adjoining counties, they may be related, but common names are not always easy to deal with. In my case, my Montgomery Co (+ environs) Johnsons I made all into Jansen as in my tree they "daughter out" quite early. This distinguishes them from the NJ Johnsons. (granted they could be related, eh?).

To distinguish that clan from the Toronto Johnsons who moved to CA, I had never thought of putting in an asterix, so I'm going to implement that one. Thanks.

Michel in SA

xejn
24 December 2006, 01:15 PM
I went with the asterisk option and it works great for me. Thanks for the suggestion.