PDA

View Full Version : HeritageQuest and Godfrey Memorial Library

Bill Sheridan
30 March 2005, 01:20 PM
If you are using HeritageQuest through a library membership like that of the Godfrey Memorial Library in Middletown, Connecticut, you

Natalie
30 March 2005, 05:51 PM
I've had no problems with either Firefox or iCab 2.9.8.

Natalie

Lil
31 March 2005, 04:38 PM
Our local library recently began providing access to HeritageQuest data. I finally had to go to my Mozilla browser to gain access to the site, as Safari and Internet Explorer each asked for a password, which I did not have. Mozilla let me in right away, using my local library card name and number.

Kim
31 March 2005, 06:57 PM
I was able to access with Safari just now, just as I always have.

Martha Lyle
01 April 2005, 06:15 PM
A local librarian told me that Ancestry had bought out HeritageQuest, or vice-versa. I find this hard to believe. Our library does not have HeritageQuest, maybe that was just a way of putting me off. Anyone heard anything about this?

budzilla
01 April 2005, 06:49 PM
Hi all,

FYI, Safari users can activate a hidden debug menu, either using a Unix command line in the Terminal app:

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

or by using a utility like Cocktail or a freeware app that I found on Versiontracker:

Safari Debugger v2.81
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17952

Once activated, you can use the Debug menu to set a different "User Agent" - I use Mac MSIE 5.22, though you can also set it to Mozilla, Windows MSIE 6.0 and several flavors of Netscape - it has kept me from needing other browsers altogether. It also allows Safari users to import and export bookmarks. Useful stuff.

Peace,

Al mitchell
02 April 2005, 12:14 PM
I access HeritageQuest Online through the Cleveland Public Library Remote Access using Safari Browser all the time and I have never had a problem after I log into the CPL Library site. I am using OS 10.3.8 with pop-ups blocked. My user agent in the Debug menu is set to Automatic. Maybe the problem is with some library remote sites.

DelbertCurlin
02 April 2005, 02:35 PM
I have been using Safari to log in to HeritageQuest thru Godfrey for the last week and only got the request for password etc once. All other times including just today have been straight turu.

Researching Curlin, McClish, Buckner, Fletcher, Brigman, Brown and White.

raybornr
04 April 2005, 11:30 PM
A local librarian told me that Ancestry had bought out HeritageQuest, or vice-versa. I find this hard to believe. Our library does not have HeritageQuest, maybe that was just a way of putting me off. Anyone heard anything about this?As I understand it, both HeritageQuestOnline and Ancestry Library Edition (Not quite the same thing as Ancestry.com) are distributed by the same company Proquest, Inc.

Historically, Ancestry Library Edition has not had remote access. You must access it from within a library.
HeritageQuestOnline does have remote access. You can get to it from home.

They are two different products with a large overlap of the census records. The indexing of the census in the two products was done separately, so something might be found in one that does not show up in the index of the other.

Roger A. Rayborn

Bill Sheridan
05 April 2005, 12:21 PM
Following Bud Simpson's suggestion from this thread, I've just downloaded and installed Safari Debugger v2.8. After re-launching Safari, I left the Debug plug-in to automatically choose the User Agent (browser identity) and went to the web site of the Godfrey Memorial Library. This time Safari did not invoke the HeritageQuest log-in window and took me directly to its web site.

Bill

Martha Lyle
05 April 2005, 08:20 PM
As I understand it, both HeritageQuestOnline and Ancestry Library Edition (Not quite the same thing as Ancestry.com) are distributed by the same company Proquest, Inc.

Historically, Ancestry Library Edition has not had remote access. You must access it from within a library.
HeritageQuestOnline does have remote access. You can get to it from home.

They are two different products with a large overlap of the census records. The indexing of the census in the two products was done separately, so something might be found in one that does not show up in the index of the other.Thanks, Roger! I have a subscription to Ancestry.com. Didn't know there was any other kind. I need to check this out at my local library. Appreciate your help!

Martha Lyle