PDA

View Full Version : Where to Obtain Photoshop Elements

kyuck
30 March 2005, 12:11 AM
I have an older G3 iMac running OS 8.6.
I use Graphic Converter but would like to get a copy of Photoshop Elements that will run on OS 8.6
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kathleen Larson
30 March 2005, 11:03 AM
I use Graphic Converter but would like to get a copy of Photoshop Elements that will run on OS 8.6
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Kevan,

I don't know about Photoshop Elements, but I have used Adobe PhotoDeluxe (1.0) for years and it's been great. I had it on my PowerPC 6500, running OS 8.6, and right now it's on the classic side of my new eMac.

It is my understanding that PhotoDeluxe was the precursor to Photoshop Elements. PhotoDeluxe came free with various bundles (Epson printer software, Umax scanner software...). Maybe you can find an old copy somewhere. (I sent my extra copy to another Reunion user a couple of years ago--sorry! :( )

Although it's surely not as "advanced" as Photoshop Elements, in PhotoDeluxe, you can work with multiple layers (limited to six at a time, but there are ways to work with that). You can only have one image (with all its layers) open at a time, which is a bit of a pain, but there is a "hold" file where you can stick other images if you have a project where you want to combine images. (Easy to do, you just drag them from the Hold file onto your open file.)

There are all sorts of special effects you can use, as well as a good variety of tools.

You can import from and export to a wide variety of formats with PhotoDeluxe.

If I remember correctly, I think I scanned directly from my Umax to PhotoDeluxe on my PowerPC. (I haven't hooked up everything correctly to do that on my eMac yet... must not have the software from my scanner set up right for the Classic environment... it's on the "to do" list!)

If you want an example of what an amateur (that's me!) can do with PhotoDeluxe, look in the "photo album" section of the SCHS website (link below). All the graphics in the SCHS website were put together or "tweaked" using PhotoDeluxe. (I'm particularly proud of how I set up the photos in the "Boothe Collection" section of the photo album...)

Wayne Till
30 March 2005, 05:31 PM
I use Graphic Converter but would like to get a copy of Photoshop Elements that will run on OS 8.6Photoshop Elements 1.0 run on OS 8.6 and OS 9. You may be able to find a copy on eBay or another auction site.