PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Family Book Presentation to DVD?

Troy
03 December 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi---

Has anyone used some kind of software to create Reunion generated Family Book data on a DVD of an interactive (for lack of a better word) user interface?

For example, the DVD would show a table-of-contents screen with various chapters (i.e., a chapter for each surname, with perhaps sub-chapters for family group sheets, other reports, photographs / images for that family surname. The user would be able to select the appropriate chapter or sub-chapter for viewing and then return to the chapter or sub-chapter table-of-contents screen.

Could iMovie be used for this? Or perhaps something else that is not too expensive and is not too hard to learn?

Thanks.

Troy---

marnen
03 December 2006, 11:43 PM
It should be possible. But why not just do this all in HTML?

Troy
04 December 2006, 04:36 AM
Marnen---

Unfortunately, I do not know HTML or how to use it.

Troy---

marnen
04 December 2006, 01:02 PM
Reunion will create a folder of HTML pages for upload to the Web, but there's no reason that you can't put them on a CD or DVD instead. You don't really need to know HTML unless you want to modify the output that Reunion generates. However, HTML is really easy to learn at a basic to intermediate level, and I suggest doing so in order that you can modify the code that Reunion generates.

theKiwi
04 December 2006, 01:38 PM
My reading of the initial question was for putting this onto a DVD with menus and buttons and chapters for use in a DVD player.

As far as I know HTML files won't show out through a DVD player either for display or navigation by clicking links, and normal Reunion web output probably wouldn't be readable on the TV screen either.

When I have done things like this, I created small Reunion charts (only a few generations at a time since they have to be readable on a TV screen) and saved them as graphics, then used iPhoto to arrange the family pictures etc that I wanted to use along with the graphics of family charts, then saved it as an iPhoto Movie.

When you have several of these you could put them through iDVD to create all the menus and links and buttons.

You could also probably use iMovie in the mix too, but straight from iPhoto to iDVD works.

Hope this helps

Roger

marnen
04 December 2006, 02:59 PM
My reading of the initial question was for putting this onto a DVD with menus and buttons and chapters for use in a DVD player.

As far as I know HTML files won't show out through a DVD player either for display or navigation by clicking links, and normal Reunion web output probably wouldn't be readable on the TV screen either.

Probably true. I was under the impression that Troy simply wanted to create something that he could put onto a disc and share, not that he specifically wanted something for TV.

Troy
04 December 2006, 06:59 PM

When I have done things like this, I created small Reunion charts (only a few generations at a time since they have to be readable on a TV screen) and saved them as graphics, then used iPhoto to arrange the family pictures etc that I wanted to use along with the graphics of family charts, then saved it as an iPhoto Movie.

When you have several of these you could put them through iDVD to create all the menus and links and buttons.

You could also probably use iMovie in the mix too, but straight from iPhoto to iDVD works.

Hope this helps

Roger

Roger---

Yes, what you described is what I had in mind, but had hoped to get family group sheets included. I guess I would have to capture them as images (probably in pieces) to get them into iDVD or iMovie.

I was hoping that some software package was available (that I could afford < grin >) that would somehow allow the inclusion of the family group sheets in rtf or pdf format and still be readable on the TV when displayed by the DVD.

Anyway, thanks for the information and for taking the time to respond.

Troy---

B Jansen
06 December 2006, 02:49 AM
Roger---

Yes, what you described is what I had in mind, but had hoped to get family group sheets included. I guess I would have to capture them as images (probably in pieces) to get them into iDVD or iMovie...Hi Troy,

I'm toying with a similar idea. My default was to make a humongous pdf with pictures, music (national anthems and folk songs, etc), video (interviews of now deceased ancestors) all linked into the "report" and copied on dvd for different family members. Yes, I do see problems with this approach and would need, at a minimum, to break down various branches of the family into more managable parts.

Having Reunion utilize integration with other Mac applications (beyond Pages) would be ideal!

Brad

Troy
06 December 2006, 08:46 AM
Brad---

Thanks for the information and response.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that is trying or tried to do this. Yours and Roger's responses give me some good leads to follow.

Thanks.

Troy---