PDA

View Full Version : Locating a Czech Republic city

Al mitchell
29 March 2005, 08:42 PM
I am trying to locate a city my greatgrandmother left in the 1890s. The ship's immigrants manifest lists the city as Nesmen, Bohemia. I found 2 cities named Nesmen, one in Central Bohemia and one in South Bohemia, near Austria. Does anyone know this part of the world? What would be the most likely choice? Any help would be appreciated.

Al

idfitter
30 March 2005, 04:10 PM
Well looking at www.mapy.cz and also www.map24.com, neither look large enough to be a town, never mind a city.

Is there *any* other detail?

Al mitchell
30 March 2005, 11:47 PM
Well looking at www.mapy.cz and also www.map24.com, neither look large enough to be a town, never mind a city.

Is there *any* other detail?I guess what I am looking for is the best guess of the town's location based on a historical map of Bohemia circa 1896. I have no other details at this time.

SVass
31 March 2005, 06:10 PM
I guess what I am looking for is the best guess of the town's location based on a historical map of Bohemia circa 1896. I have no other details at this time.

Go to http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm and enter the original name. That should work! If not, I suggest using an old online map of Bohemia from http://feefhs.org/maps/AH/mapiah.html sam

BettyFrance
01 April 2005, 08:22 AM
I am trying to locate a city my greatgrandmother left in the 1890s. The ship's immigrants manifest lists the city as Nesmen, Bohemia. I found 2 cities named Nesmen, one in Central Bohemia and one in South Bohemia, near Austria. Does anyone know this part of the world? What would be the most likely choice? Any help would be appreciated.Well, sorry, I cannot help you, but I just wanted to comment. We were in Czechoslovakia a few years ago and looking for a particular area. We found a most helpful young man who spoke English and it was amazing what he had to go through. He took the details I had, and I had a lot. He looked at one town name and said "well, that must be ......" and he named another town. Then he looked at another town name and said "well, that must be..." and ditto, ditto. And after a hard struggle, he found what we wanted. All completely different names. We asked him why the difference in town names, and he said the Communists when they took over renamed all the places. SOMEWHERE there ought to be a place where both the old names and the new names are listed... some genealogical organization IN Czechoslovakia. Surely there is one. Probably you already know this, but I had to tell you our experience.
Betty France in Wisconsin

idfitter
01 April 2005, 02:46 PM
...All completely different names. We asked him why the difference in town names, and he said the Communists when they took over renamed all the places...

also towns along the German border in the Sudetenland have had German names. e.g. Litvinov/Oberleutensdorf

Al Cooper
01 April 2005, 04:54 PM
I am trying to locate a city my greatgrandmother left in the 1890s. The ship's immigrants manifest lists the city as Nesmen, Bohemia. I found 2 cities named Nesmen, one in Central Bohemia and one in South Bohemia, near Austria. Does anyone know this part of the world? What would be the most likely choice? Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Click here for an 1882 map of Bohemia. (http://feefhs.org/maps/AH/ah-bohem.html)