PDA

View Full Version : Large documents- put in notes or elsewhere?

Fotolinda
26 March 2005, 11:33 AM
My husband and I both have our own families in Reunion 8. My husband has come across a paper his grandfather wrote in his sociology class in university in 1932. It's a fascinating read about his views on his own life at that time, and he talks about various members of his family.

We plan to put it in the computer. My husband then wants to put it in the Notes section for his grandfather. I say just have the document in the computer somewhere, take pieces of the paper and put it in the various people mentioned Notes section.

My question is this: What would you do- would you put the whole paper in the one person's Notes section? It's about 20 pages, double spaced.

Linda

fjvanbodegom
26 March 2005, 12:29 PM
Each Note field in Reunion can contain about 64.000 charaters, so you have enough space to place the whole document, but ...
Reunion is (primairy) a genealy programm and (in my opinion) all the information you put in Notes fields has to do at least with genealogy or related information. I think it is not wise to put the whole paper in a one note field, unless it is 'completely stuffed' with genealogy information.
Would you put a whole thesis of your grandgather in this note fields or a complete article of a magazine, or his complete last will (with 90% 'laywers language' and 10 % of real information)?

Make an extract the important (genealogic) information of that paper and divide it: that part belongs to John, another part belongs to Ginny and put those extracts in the Notes section of John, Ginny etc. but .... off course with correct referrals to to original document, stored elswhere on you computer (or in an archive).

fildawg
28 March 2005, 11:23 AM
I post all my Reunion stuff online. For a large document as you describe, I add a hyperlink to a separate page that I maintain for those types of documents.

Hope this helps.