PDA

View Full Version : Creating Web Cards for cd use

joan shepherd welsh
25 March 2005, 05:09 PM
So far so good. Because of Reunion Talk answers to my earlier questions, I believe I made good choices for the archival of my source materials. Thanks to the reader's warning about the down side of web sites.

Now I want to create cds with Web Cards. My mother and father will constitute the home card. Do I include all of the nearly 900 families involved? Will I automatically include second wives or husbands? Will their progeny be included?

How does the browser find the home card to begin the reading of the web cards? I find they are listed without any clue about which file to open first. Just beginning to play with this feature, I find that it takes my G5 some time to do just my own small family. Will Reunion be able to process all the families and selected person cards?

joan shepherd welsh

AE Palmer
30 March 2005, 07:28 PM
The file structure of the CD should have a folder with all of your web cards

Steve W. Jackson
31 March 2005, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=AE Palmer]The file structure of the CD should have a folder with all of your web cards

kyuck
31 March 2005, 08:24 PM
I have sent a couple of sets of web cards to PC users and I just changed the name of the "wc_toc.html" card to read "Open_Me.html" before generating the cards and the PC users where able to open the sets without any problems.

Steve W. Jackson
01 April 2005, 06:33 PM
I have sent a couple of sets of web cards to PC users and I just changed the name of the "wc_toc.html" card to read "Open_Me.html" before generating the cards and the PC users where able to open the sets without any problems.You're quite right that they should be able to open them without any trouble. But doing this still leaves that "OpenMe.html" file among other files and folders in the same directory so that it's not quite as highly visible as it would be if all alone. Also, you have to change that file name in Reunion when you do it that way. But if you leave your Reunion settings unchanged and simply put the generated files inside a single folder, it doesn't matter what the name is since the redirect file will be set to go to it.

In any case, you've described yet another way that somebody wanting to make a CD to give to others could do so. Options abound!! :)

= Steve =

Venita Roylance
02 April 2005, 12:28 AM
I created a cd of part of my Reunion file about a year ago for a cousin and his family. Steve sent me the instructions he has sent you for creating an "open" link, and it worked!!

Actually, I used two options for access to the webcards - I followed Steve's instructions and named the file something like "Start here." And I also created a web page which I named "Read me." This page contained some information about what was on the disk and a link to the index page of the Web Cards. Both links worked on my iMac and on the PCs where I tested the cd. I made about half a dozen copies for family members, and I haven't had any complaints about the cd not working, so I guess it did. 8-)

Many thanks for your help, Steve!!

Venita

Paul Surprenant
21 October 2005, 08:55 PM
There's a problem with using an alias if the intended recipients are not Mac users. For that reason, I usually suggest using an HTML page in the root directory that automatically redirects to the one in the folder. Every Mac and PC user will generally be able to double-click the HTML file you create, so you can name it something helpful like "OpenMe.html" if you want...Steve: This is my first in "Reunion Talk" You'll have to excuse my ignorance.
I hope this is the method used to contact you, for the problems I have with Reunion. I find the Reunion program to be excellent, and have put a great deal of effort in the study and research.
My problem, Steve, is taking my "Reunion Family Cards" format and transferring them (per the Reunion instructions) to "Web Family Cards" located under the tool bar in "Create" to be capable of opening on PC as well as Mac.
I have followed all directions and used extensions (HTM, HTML) and avoided using "Alias". I've made disc copies for PC users, but to no avail.
Is there anything a PC user has to do, to open my disc???
I can't figure what's wrong. I have no other solution.
Can you help me Steve. You seem very knowledgeable.
Thank you. Paul Surprenant pcsurp@comcast.net

Christer Hellholm
24 October 2005, 08:06 AM
...I have followed all directions and used extensions (HTM, HTML) and avoided using "Alias". I've made disc copies for PC users, but to no avail. Is there anything a PC user has to do, to open my disc???Have you formatted your CD in ISO 9660 format or in other platform independed formats? If not your PC friends/relatives may have trouble reading your CD.

Steve W. Jackson
24 October 2005, 06:41 PM
I have followed all directions and used extensions (HTM, HTML) and avoided using "Alias". I've made disc copies for PC users, but to no avail.
Is there anything a PC user has to do, to open my disc???
I can't figure what's wrong. I have no other solution.
Thank you. Paul Surprenant pcsurp@comcast.net
As Christer has indicated, you can sometimes run into troubles with disc formats across platforms. I haven't made a CD to share with others in quite some time, but I never used the ISO 9660 format when I did so. Generally, I find that there isn't much reason to use that particular format. But a hybrid format should work just fine.

As for the files themselves, there's nothing about the files and folders created by Reunion which is in any way platform-specific. Whether you choose to use HTM or HTML won't matter. Whether you let Reunion name the TOC file or you name it also won't matter in most cases. Whether you choose upper or lower case file names also won't matter. Anyone with Windows, Linux, a Mac, or any other likely platform will be able to read the HTML files with any recent browser as long as they can read the CD and recognize its contents as files.

How you create your CD is what will ultimately determine which options might be best for you. Do you have third party burning software like Roxio Toast? Or do you plan to burn via the Finder? They tend to use different terminology, unfortunately.

= Steve =

John M. Leggett
25 October 2005, 07:13 PM
As Christer has indicated, you can sometimes run into troubles with disc formats across platforms. I haven't made a CD to share with others in quite some time, but I never used the ISO 9660 format when I did so. Generally, I find that there isn't much reason to use that particular format. But a hybrid format should work just fine.

As for the files themselves, there's nothing about the files and folders created by Reunion which is in any way platform-specific. Whether you choose to use HTM or HTML won't matter. Whether you let Reunion name the TOC file or you name it also won't matter in most cases. Whether you choose upper or lower case file names also won't matter. Anyone with Windows, Linux, a Mac, or any other likely platform will be able to read the HTML files with any recent browser as long as they can read the CD and recognize its contents as files.

How you create your CD is what will ultimately determine which options might be best for you. Do you have third party burning software like Roxio Toast? Or do you plan to burn via the Finder? They tend to use different terminology, unfortunately.Steve is correct in pointing out that it is likely the manner in which the media is formatted rather than the files that matters.

However, I always use the Internet Explorer report option when creating a disk or CD to share info with PC users. It seems to work well.

John

Stephen Hill
20 May 2007, 04:59 PM
I created a cd of part of my Reunion file about a year ago for a cousin and his family. Steve sent me the instructions he has sent you for creating an "open" link, and it worked!!

Actually, I used two options for access to the webcards - I followed Steve's instructions and named the file something like "Start here." And I also created a web page which I named "Read me." This page contained some information about what was on the disk and a link to the index page of the Web Cards. Both links worked on my iMac and on the PCs where I tested the cd. I made about half a dozen copies for family members, and I haven't had any complaints about the cd not working, so I guess it did. 8-)

Many thanks for your help, Steve!!

Venita

Hi Venita

I'm having problems making a CD to of my Family Tree. Could you send me the instructions that Steve sent you and also tell me how to create the "Read me" file to go with the FT. I have burnt the webcard report to disc using Toast but when I tried the disc in my daughters PC we could not get it to open. Toast has a Mac & PC button which I used but it did not help it seems.

Thank you Venita