PDA

View Full Version : Too many files in my web site???

artsmart47
24 March 2005, 06:00 PM
I just tried to make my first website from my database. I'm getting the site hosted for free but was told that I have too many files in my site. I have 12,000 people in my database and when I made my web cards, there's over 20,000 files. It all adds up to about 36 megs which they told me was fine but the sheer number of files is too large.

I'm not savvy on web development. I had another friend make me an intro page and then I was planning on using the site made by Reunion for all my data.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
I'd appreciate any help.
Michelle

idfitter
25 March 2005, 08:08 AM
I have 12,000 people in my database and when I made my web cards, there's over 20,000 files. It all adds up to about 36 megs which they told me was fine but the sheer number of files is too large.That's unusual, hosting companies normally only specify webspace, not number of files.

The obvious answer is find another host, but since you are getting this one for free that is probably not an option.

It looks from your numbers like you are publishing family cards and person sheets. You could disable person sheets when you create web cards and this would reduce your filecount.

Bob Goode
25 March 2005, 03:29 PM
I just tried to make my first website from my database. I'm getting the site hosted for free but was told that I have too many files in my site.
MichelleHow are you uploading the files? Perhaps the web site client has a problem with the number of files but if you use an FTP application, you can bypass the FTP client of the web site. There are several FTP shareware and freeware apps available at versiontracker.com or any other shareware/freeware site. Be sure to click on the OSX tab when doing a search at these sites.

I agree with the previous post that seldom does a site limit files but rather webspace. I know that trying to upload Reunion files at the "freepages/genealogy" site without an FTP application would be next to impossible with the number of files you desire to upload.

Bob

Bob White
27 March 2005, 05:59 PM
How are you uploading the files? Perhaps the web site client has a problem with the number of files but if you use an FTP application, you can bypass the FTP client of the web site. There are several FTP shareware and freeware apps available .........I would recommend RBrowserLite. You can find it at http://www.rbrowser.com/index.html.

Charlotte Wiggins
25 August 2005, 04:56 PM
I too had a problem with uploading my files. I first put them in grouped five at a time or 20 according to what I could upload. However, they would not show up so I had to individually enter each one separately. That was tiresome, but after about 9000 names I am finished. It just takes time.
Charlotte

artsmart47
25 August 2005, 07:55 PM
update: I purchased the TNG software that I saw recommendations for it on this site. It's great and I have no problems now. I'd recommend it too now!

gregraven
26 August 2005, 06:36 PM
Are you creating a website with folders, or a flat website? If you're making a flat website, I can understand why there would be a problem with 20,000 files in one sub-directory. If so, uncheck the Web Option so that Reunion will put files into sub-directories. With "only" 500 files per sub-directory, your ISP should be fine.