PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Quest problems recently

Amelia
23 March 2005, 10:04 AM
Hello,

I access Heritage Quest through an account at the Bellingham (WA) Public Library. I log into the BPL website, then it passes me to HQ already logged in. But recently, Heritage Quest has been kicking me right to a login page, which I can't do anything with since the username and password are BPL's.

This has been happening on and off for several days. I've varied my security settings, pop-up blocker, wireless network, and browser (Safari v. IE). None will work, then a few hours later it will be fine.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else is having similar issues. I don't know if the problem is with HQ or the library. Or maybe just me and I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Amelia

Geraldine
23 March 2005, 10:54 AM
I also experienced this same situation accessing an account through Monroe County Library, Rochester NY. Thought it might be my library access but it doesn't look like it now. Don't have any answer for it but it is annoying. Finally was able to access the site also after a few tries. Sounds like it might be in Heritage Quest. It is a wonderful site and I would hate to lose it! Especially since we can access online from home.

Scott Gerstenberger
23 March 2005, 11:20 AM
I've used to have this problem quite regularly going through the Ann Arbor District Library. Interestingly, though, it's actually been much more reliable for me over the last couple of months. It must be the law of averages at work!

When it happened, I was often unable to log in even by going back to my library's authenication page. If I waited overnight or over the weekend, it would usually start working again. Clearing the cookie from my library didn't seem to help either. I figured some server at the library was messed up, but that's just a guess.

I'd suggest you give your library a call just so they know that you're having the problem. Hopefully they can either fix it themselves or at least report it to HeritageQuest.

Scott

Susan Assmus
23 March 2005, 12:07 PM
I have also had this problem for the past couple of weeks. I access through the South Dakota State Llibrary System. I thought at first that it was a problem with their server because they are in the process of switching over to new software and have been having server problems occasionaly. However I am still able to access other databases from their web page without any problem. I called the library and was told that they would look into it, but haven't heard back yet.

Raizel
23 March 2005, 11:40 PM
I access Heritage Quest through an account at the Bellingham (WA) Public Library. I log into the BPL website, then it passes me to HQ already logged in. But recently, Heritage Quest has been kicking me right to a login page, which I can't do anything with since the username and password are BPL's.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else is having similar issues. I don't know if the problem is with HQ or the library. Or maybe just me and I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.Amelia:
I don't know that site but I know our library has an offshoot account with Ancestry.com (AncestryPlus). As with your library, log in is using THEIR ACCOUNT INFO. So, I would suspect it's not you. Possibly only library accounts are affected (maybe HQ has them identified) or everyone. there is usually money involved with these accounts, wouldn't hurt to ask library if account has been kept current, if they were terminated (libraries, not yours specificially as Susan mentions same problem), or something like that.

Amelia
24 March 2005, 09:57 AM
After seeing that this is happening many places, I did some searching and found a tech support email for Heritage Quest. Amazingly, they responded in about 12 hours:
---
Good morning Amelia,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support. We are currently experiencing some remote user difficulties such as the ones you detail below. Our QA department is working on resolving the issue, but in the meantime remote users need to be both patient and persistent. When you are using your Mac, make sure that you use Safari, not IE. If you get the login screen, back out and try again. It make take a couple of tries, but you should get in. I do apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. Please know that we are working very hard on a resolution for this; in the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding.

----

So it's not us or the library, but we can't do much either.

kyuck
24 March 2005, 11:12 PM
I am having the same problem when trying to access HQ remotely using an Edmonton Alberta library.

kyuck
26 March 2005, 04:37 PM
I am using Reunion 8.05 with OS 8.6 on an older iMac. I have found that if I use Netscape (v6.2) as my browser I have no problem accessing HQ every time. If I use IE (v5.1) I can never access HQ even using Kathleen's email suggestion to "back out" one web page and go back in.
I will now be using Netscape for HQ access.

Scott Gerstenberger
27 March 2005, 12:43 AM
I am using Reunion 8.05 with OS 8.6 on an older iMac. I have found that if I use Netscape (v6.2) as my browser I have no problem accessing HQ every time. If I use IE (v5.1) I can never access HQ even using Kathleen's email suggestion to "back out" one web page and go back in.
I will now be using Netscape for HQ access.Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if the reason I've had no trouble with HQ for the last month or so is because I've mainly switched to using Firefox 1.0.1 instead of Safari 1.2.4 under MacOS X 10.3.8. It's also very nice to be able to read the ReunionTalk RSS feeds using Sage with Firefox, an idea I picked up in a RT thread by the way. Thanks folks!

Sharon Lunde
28 March 2005, 07:50 PM
I also experienced this same situation accessing an account through Monroe County Library, Rochester NY. Thought it might be my library access but it doesn't look like it now. Don't have any answer for it but it is annoying. Finally was able to access the site also after a few tries. Sounds like it might be in Heritage Quest. It is a wonderful site and I would hate to lose it! Especially since we can access online from home.At least I know it isn't my computer now. I have been struggling with this issue for a couple weeks. Safari works, IE does not. Monroe County Library didn't know what was going on when I called. And the webmaster didn't have an answer either.

Pat Thomas
28 March 2005, 08:36 PM
Not about Heritage Quest, but Ancestry. I have been using HQ for census for a long while, works better with a Mac. But Ancestry just fixed their access, very nice, easy to manipulate, more like HQ. Since they have an every name index for some census, it is nice to have it work. The newspapers finally work better too.

Pat

Paul Reese
02 April 2005, 09:50 PM
... But recently, Heritage Quest has been kicking me right to a login page, which I can't do anything with since the username and password are BPL's.

This has been happening on and off for several days. I've varied my security settings, pop-up blocker, wireless network, and browser (Safari v. IE). None will work, then a few hours later it will be fine...Had the same problem. However, when I switched to Foxfire the problem stopped. Download at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

PS it also seems to work faster than the other browsers.

John Goodman
05 July 2005, 03:05 PM
I access Heritage Quest through an account at the Bellingham (WA) Public Library. I log into the BPL website, then it passes me to HQ already logged in. But recently, Heritage Quest has been kicking me right to a login page, which I can't do anything with since the username and password are BPL's....I have noticed the same problem, sometimes, using Godfrey Memorial Library. Switching browsers always does the trick for me. I keep Safari, IE, Netscape, & Firefox on my hard drive. One of them will get through.
John

Bob Rugo
05 July 2005, 07:02 PM
I access Heritage Quest through an account at the Bellingham (WA) Public Library. I log into the BPL website, then it passes me to HQ already logged in. But recently, Heritage Quest has been kicking me right to a login page, which I can't do anything with since the username and password are BPL's.The New Engalnd Historical & Genealogical Society recently emailed its members who use Mac OS saying that many were reporting this issue.

I had the same problem when I first tried to use Heritage Quest through the Boston Public Library.

At first I found that that I could not get in using Safari, but when I tried with Firefox it worked fine. Once I had gotten in using Firefox, I found that Safari also worked. With IE5 I still don't get through on the first try, but hitting the "refresh" symbol when they demand a password will get me in.

Using OS X, originally 10.3 now 10.4.

Hope this helps.

Bob Rugo

Lil
07 July 2005, 10:49 AM
I have noticed the same problem, sometimes, using Godfrey Memorial Library. Switching browsers always does the trick for me. I keep Safari, IE, Netscape, & Firefox on my hard drive. One of them will get through.
John

I've experienced this problem off and on for months. Safari sometimes works, but I have also been able to get through by using Mozilla browser. It's a great site, when you do get in, and you don't have to pay ancestry.com to look at US Censuses.
Lil

mitzi schireman
05 September 2005, 03:17 AM
I also access HQ through Bellingham Public Library and had scads of problems a couple of months ago. I talked to just about every body I could get. Finally someone asked if I had an older version browser. I use OS10.2 but I still had a Navigator 7.1. They suggested I try using it. I put Navigator back on my dock and began using it for HQ. Works like a charm. I slipped up the other night and tried IE and guess what? It didn't work. Neither did Safari. Went back to Navigator and it worked just fine. I am not a techie so I don't know why and I could care less. All I wanted is for HQ to work because I am into the census records right now and I am not about to pay ancestry.com for the info.

Philip B Fregeau
07 September 2005, 02:52 PM
I began using HeritageQuest successfully several weeks ago through New England Historic & Genealogical Society via Safari until a few days ago when I began receiving demand from HQ for a password.
The NEGHS suggested that I download and try a browser called Camino. I did. It worked flawlessly. It is now my browser of choice.

Bob Rugo
07 September 2005, 07:25 PM
I began using HeritageQuest successfully several weeks ago through New England Historic & Genealogical Society via Safari until a few days ago when I began receiving demand from HQ for a password.
The NEGHS suggested that I download and try a browser called Camino. I did. It worked flawlessly. It is now my browser of choice.Safari recently stopped working for me also when using Heritage Quest through NEHGS. I though it might be a recent Safari software update that caused the problem. I went back to using the Firefox browser for access which always seems to work. And now Safari works fine again. I keep thinking that getting through with Firefox somehow sets something up to let Safari work, that seemed to be the pattern when I first accessed HQ a long time ago, but I have no idea if that makes any sense.

Bob Rugo
Boston, MA

J. Morrow
08 September 2005, 01:46 AM
The Firefox browser will also work just fine with Heritage Quest.

Bob White
11 September 2005, 03:33 PM
The Firefox browser will also work just fine with Heritage Quest.Actually, FireFox is an open source browser based on the same Mozilla engine used in the most recent versions of Navigator. Current version is 1.0.6. A beta of the upcoming version 1.5 was released during this past week.

I'm on the Internet a lot and I mostly use FireFox. I have only run into one site in the past year or so where it wouldn't work -- genealogy or otherwise. (Somehow, that webmaster had done his site so that anything beyond the main page would only work with MS Explorer 6.0. Talk about cutting out most of the world --- not only Mac's but Linux and any Windows less than XP Pack 2!)

Kate McCain
31 December 2005, 06:32 PM
I will now be using Netscape for HQ access.

My husband tells me that he read recently that Microsoft will not be producing new versions of IE for the Mac -- and I am finding more sites that do not like the version that is currently available (I am running IE on system 10.3). The current version of Netscape works well -- there are many sites (including my bank!) that were congured only for IE or Netscape.

Sigh.

Kate McCain

martha
04 January 2006, 04:39 AM
My husband tells me that he read recently that Microsoft will not be producing new versions of IE for the Mac -- and I am finding more sites that do not like the version that is currently available (I am running IE on system 10.3). The current version of Netscape works well -- there are many sites (including my bank!) that were congured only for IE or Netscape.

Sigh.

Kate McCain

Your best bet for a browser that works on all those IE sites that I have tried is to download Firefox. Whenever I have problems with Safari on a site, I switch to Firefox and never have a problem.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Martha