PDA

View Full Version : Zip (8.6) to CD to OS10.03

Betty
23 March 2005, 12:03 AM
I took my zip (from 8.6). with my Reunion files to Kinkos to be put on a CD so I could put it on my new G-5. I told them I did not have classic installed. After two 80 mile round trips, it still will not install because I do not have the "classic environment". My Mac 8.6 has the old SCSI ports.
One happy note, the Reunion CD installed beautifully but is still empty.
Is there another solution to transfer files? Thank you.

Dennis J. Cunniff
23 March 2005, 01:47 AM
I took my zip (from 8.6). with my Reunion files to Kinkos to be put on a CD so I could put it on my new G-5. I told them I did not have classic installed. After two 80 mile round trips, it still will not install because I do not have the "classic environment". My Mac 8.6 has the old SCSI ports.
One happy note, the Reunion CD installed beautifully but is still empty.
Is there another solution to transfer files? Thank you.

How big are the files you want to transfer?

If you have the two computers, connect them via a crossover Ethernet cable, enable file sharing, and transfer the files. (You could also use Firewire but I'm guessing your 8.6 model doesn't have it).

Or transfer the files to a website, such as your iDisk, and then transfer them from there to the new computer.

I am curious about two things....[1] why no classic environment? I can't see that it's disadvantageous in any way, and it's certainly less trouble than two 80-mile road trips; and [2] why would not having the classic environment prevent you from reading a CD?

Scott Gerstenberger
23 March 2005, 02:47 AM
I may not understand, but have you tried the following:

1. Put the CD you had Kinkos convert for you in the optical drive on your G5. (I gather this CD has your Reunion data file(s) on it, not the Reunion application itself from your Mac OS 8.6 system.)
2. Drag the Reunion data file(s) from the CD to some convenient place on your G5, e.g., your Desktop.
3. Launch Reunion 8 on the G5 (don't double click on the data file -- double click on Reunion application you installed in your Applications folder). When Reunion asks you what family file to open, navigate to the file you dragged from the CD and tell it to use that.

Scott

Betty
24 March 2005, 11:20 PM
I may not understand, but have you tried the following:

1. Put the CD you had Kinkos convert for you in the optical drive on your G5. (I gather this CD has your Reunion data file(s) on it, not the Reunion application itself from your Mac OS 8.6 system.)
2. Drag the Reunion data file(s) from the CD to some convenient place on your G5, e.g., your Desktop.
3. Launch Reunion 8 on the G5 (don't double click on the data file -- double click on Reunion application you installed in your Applications folder). When Reunion asks you what family file to open, navigate to the file you dragged from the CD and tell it to use that.

Scott

Thanks to all for the help. I think the solution is a crossover ethernet cable. My dial-up is not very fast.

Betty