PDA

View Full Version : Fonts

bmfan
22 March 2005, 04:30 PM
I just switched someone over to a mac a bought reunion for her, I converted her windows file to a ged, but the swedish characters wont display properly. the windows program will conver the ged with
UTF-8
UNICODE
ANSEL
ANSI
which encoding should i use ?

Michael
25 March 2005, 03:22 PM
I just switched someone over to a mac a bought reunion for her, I converted her windows file to a ged, but the swedish characters wont display properly. the windows program will conver the ged with
UTF-8
UNICODE
ANSEL
ANSI
which encoding should i use ?Reunion 8 doesn't fully support Unicode fonts. We're aware of the interest in them, and we hope to add support in the next version of Reunion.

With that having been said, the best encoding to use from your list of examples is "ANSEL."

Eirik StrÝm
25 March 2005, 03:43 PM
I do not think we need to worry about UNICODE in this situation.

If I understand you correctly you want a GEDCOM file produced on a Windows PC to display properly on a Mac.

Although one should never be too sure about the behaviour of unknown GEDCOM files I should make this suggestion:

1. On the Windows PC export the GEDCOM file specifying the ANSI character set.

2. Move the GEDCOM file to the Mac.

3. Import the GEDCOM file into an empty Reunion database specifying the Windows (not the ANSEL) character set.

This seems to work in most cases.

Of course a GEDCOM file is an ordinary text file that may easily be converted by text conversion software to Macintosh character set before it is imported by Reunion. If this method makes you feel more comfortable, you may visit VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/), where you can search for and download freeware conversion software such as

John Lesko
25 June 2005, 09:35 AM
I was dissapointed to learn that Reunion 8 does not fully support Unicode fonts resulting in inaccurate screen displays on Mac X OS when inputing names and data in the Central European ( CE ) fonts.

I have Slovak and Polish family names and data that I enter into Reunion.

Cascading pedigrees, however, do print accurately in the CE fonts in the Mac X OS even when garbled on the screen.

Since my Reunion 7 version not only printed but displayed on the monitor the CE fonts correctly on Mac OS 9.2, I installed the classic OS 9.2 system on my Mac X and run the Reunion 7 version when I want to see an accurate screen diplay of my family cards.

My suggestions are that:

Reunion should supply not only Version 8, but also 7, to new Mac X customers if they input data in other languages like CE.

Support of the Unicode fonts should be provided free, when available, to purchasers of Reunion 8 since they had this CE capability of display and print in Version 7.

Meanwhile Reunion 8 purchasers should install the Mac classic 9.2 OS, which comes on installation disk 2 for Mac X buyers, and run Reunion 7 if they need to see accurate screen displays in the CE fonts.

I would be interested in any other solutions to this font problem.

John Lesko

jimpres
21 August 2005, 08:16 PM
Although in OS 10.4.2 you can use the CE fonts on the individual cards when you return to the family page the CE characters you entered on the individual page are not displayed or printed correctly.
This problem has been in Reunion for many versions. If the individual cards display correctly then it should be an easy program change to display them on the family cards and keep them for correct printing.
The conversion must already exist since the CE characters are correctly displayed on the individual cards.

jimpres
15 November 2005, 03:36 PM
I agree that there should be a provision to use CE fonts. Most of us tracing our ancestors will eventually have to look at European documents and need the fonts for those countries.
Besides the fact currently printing your information defaults to the non CE fonts so if you have special characters in your files they are not displayed correctly.
I think I saw a message where the CE fonts may accomodated in the next version of Reunion.