PDA

View Full Version : Need to transfer my data files to external hard drive.

DougG
10 October 2006, 09:15 PM
I have several Macs around the house, but I do all of my Reunion work on one dedicated to audio-visual work (Photoshop, movies, scanning, and so on) This G4 tower has two internal drives and one outboard drive. The Reunion program resides on one internal drive and the data files reside on another internal drive. As I enter data into Reunion I noticed that the data is not copied and incorporated into the master file, but only a pathway is provided for the master Reunion file to find the entered data. Phew!

Now here's the problem. I want to transfer my data from the second internal drive to the outboard firewire drive. If I do that, will Reunion be able to find the data? Are there any special procedure I need to follow to ensure link-up?

Having the data on an external drive will provide me with portability, and the potential for security if it is disconnected and locked up.

As a fallback position is there any way I can force Reunion to copy and incorporate the data into the Reunion file? I know it would be a big file but that would suit me fine.

David G. Kanter
10 October 2006, 11:56 PM
. . .This G4 tower has two internal drives and one outboard drive. The Reunion program resides on one internal drive and the data files reside on another internal drive. As I enter data into Reunion I noticed that the data is not copied and incorporated into the master file, but only a pathway is provided for the master Reunion file to find the entered data. Phew!I'm not clear on what you mean by the "not copied and incorporated into the master file, but only a pathway is provided. . . ." Whichever Family File is open--whether located on the same drive with the Reunion program or on another drive--will have the changes you make entered directly into it. That's true whether you have two or more Family Files stored on either drive and whether they have the exact same names. (Of course, the Mac OS won't let you put two identically named files in the exact same location on a hard drive--or any other volume.)I want to transfer my data from the second internal drive to the outboard firewire drive. If I do that, will Reunion be able to find the data?Yes. As long as that outboard (external) hard drive's volume containing the Family File is mounted on your Desktop, you can open that Family File--either by double-clicking the Family File or by navigating to it using Reunion's File->Open--and Reunion will present that Family File's data to you just as if the program and the file were on the same drive.Are there any special procedure I need to follow to ensure link-up?None for the Family File data, but in each Family File--wherever it's stored--you should check Options->Multimedia->Multimedia Folders and ensure what is showing there is where you have stored your Multimedia items. (Pay special attention to whether the proper volume is identified at the start of the cited path.) If not, delete any erroneous entries and add the correct one(s).As a fallback position is there any way I can force Reunion to copy and incorporate the data into the Reunion file? I know it would be a big file but that would suit me fine.Hopefully, the above discussion of just what's stored where will clarify that you can copy any Family File and place it on another hard drive--whether internal or external--any time you want.

One Big Caution: Just make absolutely sure when you are getting ready to make changes to a Family File that you've double (if not triple) checked that the file you have open is the one you wish to change--not some copy you've made as your back-up. As others have said, you might consider explicitly naming your backup with a modified name so when you look at the top of the Family Card--where it says "Family File: <name of the Family File>"--you gain confidence you are in the one you wish to be changing. (That's especially true if you make use of Reunion 8's ability to have more than one Family File open at the same time!)

P.S. While DougG has explicitly cited his external drive has a Firewire connection, just so another reader doesn't extrapolate my answer to all other drives, click here to see Gregg's caution in that regard (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=1406#post6728).

DougG
13 October 2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks David. I'll work my way through your detailed advice. I just want to make sure I have an escape route in case of equipment failure, plus some flexibility.

macorson
15 October 2006, 12:14 AM
P.S. While DougG has explicitly cited his external drive has a Firewire connection, just so another reader doesn't extrapolate my answer to all other drives, click here to see Gregg's caution in that regard (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=1406#post6728).Speaking from experience, make sure your drive's firewire and power supply cables are out of reach of cats or other curious animals. Oh the horror.