PDA

View Full Version : Using CensusTools with Reunion

James C. T. Pool
01 October 2006, 01:43 PM
I have found both CensusTools (the Excel spreadsheets from http://www.censustools.com) and Reunion (I have been a Reunion user since the HyperCard versions!) essential tools in my genealogical investigations. However, I have never developed a satisfactory approach to using them together. I am curious whether anyone else uses CensusTools with Reunion and whether they have developed a systematic approach to using them together.

Jim Pool

Bob Goode
01 October 2006, 04:31 PM
I have found both CensusTools (the Excel spreadsheets from http://www.censustools.com) and Reunion (I have been a Reunion user since the HyperCard versions!) essential tools in my genealogical investigations. However, I have never developed a satisfactory approach to using them together. I am curious whether anyone else uses CensusTools with Reunion and whether they have developed a systematic approach to using them together.

Jim Pool
Hi Jim,

I also use CensusTools with Reunion. CensusTools is a great way to document a family and be certain that all the census records are obtained. I am not sure what you mean by "using them together." Once I find the specific census for a family, I enter the census data in Reunion notes >census notes and add the new children and other data in Reunion. Then I fill out the CensusTools spreadsheet(s). CensusTools has been helpful in writing a family history. I can easily follow migratory routes, additional children, new spouses and all the additional information you learn from the census. The spreadsheet provides the "big picture," while a Reunion family card is a great place to store the data but to see the "big picture" you need to export to some type of report.

Perhaps, and hopefully, someone else can help both of us with additional insight as to how they use the two together.

The link to CensusTools is http://www.censustools.com/

I have no connection to CensusTools, other than using the spreadsheets.

Bob

kmgenealogy
27 June 2015, 07:49 PM
Here is a site with some awesome Excel sheets for censuses and other genealogy things, including a research log. Go to http://www.censustools.com Disclaimer: I have no connection to this site except as a satisfied customer.

***** 27 Jun 2015 - NOTICE - This website is going away!!!! Here is the notice I just found on the website...
"Due to ongoing family health issues, CensusTools will be taken down 17 July 2015. The time until then is your only opportunity to get my spreadsheet collection." *****

So, if you think you may want this collection (for $11.95 - a great deal!) you need to go get them. If you don't have Excel, they will kind of work with Numbers or LibreOffice/OpenOffice. You can also get in PDF versions but they are not interactive.

Hope this is helpful,
Kaye

mrstucci
29 June 2015, 10:08 PM
Here is a site with some awesome Exel sheets for censuses and other genealogy things, including a research log. Go to http://www.censustools.com Disclaimer: I have no connection to this site except as a satisfied customer.

***** 27 Jun 2015 - NOTICE - This website is going away!!!! Here is the notice I just found on the website...
"Due to ongoing family health issues, CensusTools will be taken down 17 July 2015. The time until then is your only opportunity to get my spreadsheet collection." *****

So, if you think you may want this collection (for $11.95 - a great deal!) you need to go get them. If you don't have Excel, they will kind of work with Numbers or LibreOffice/OpenOffice. You can also get in PDF versions but they are not interactive.

Hope this is helpful,
KayeThese certainly are nice spreadsheets but I am wondering what they do that other census templates do.... What are the advantages? I agree it's a great price but.....

B Jansen
30 June 2015, 04:11 PM
I'm a big fan of CensusTools too and am sad that they're not only not going to be updating them but discontinuing them.

For a few family files where there is a lack of information or conflicting information, I've made images of my CensusTool page and added them to my media for that person or family. It really helps (me at least) to visualize lots of information in one graphic.

CousinCollector
23 July 2015, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that when I found out that Gary was discontinuing CensusTools, we came to an agreement so that I could keep offering the spreadsheets. He was pleased to find a way for the site continue when he could no longer maintain it. www.CensusTools.com is still up and has a new design, and it is my hope to be able to find the time to add to the collection as new censuses are released. The 1940 files are still available as a free download. I would love it if you would help spread the word that CensusTools is not going anywhere!

Warm regards,

Mary Ann Kelley
CollectingCousins.com
CensusTools.com

kmgenealogy
23 July 2015, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone, <snip> www.CensusTools.com is still up and has a new design, and it is my hope to be able to find the time to add to the collection as new censuses are released. The 1940 files are still available as a free download. I would love it if you would help spread the word that CensusTools is not going anywhere!

Warm regards,

Mary Ann Kelley
CollectingCousins.com
CensusTools.com

Mary Ann, So glad that you are able to continue this site! I had been telling everyone I know to get their set before it went away! Now, I can just tell them to get their set! Love the new design, too!

CousinCollector
23 July 2015, 11:42 AM
Mary Ann, So glad that you are able to continue this site! I had been telling everyone I knew to get their set before it went away! Now, I can just tell them to get their set! Love the new design, too!

Thanks, Kaye! I didn't want to confuse anyone with the new design since it's the same spreadsheets. I'm glad you like it. :)

Mary Ann

randy_godfrey
24 November 2015, 10:37 AM
Has anyone tried using these spreadsheets with Numbers on a Mac?

Randy

kyuck
24 November 2015, 02:21 PM
Are there any spreadsheets for the Canadian Census?

CousinCollector
24 November 2015, 02:26 PM
Are there any spreadsheets for the Canadian Census?

Canada censuses for 1851-1901 are included; you can see some screenshots here: http://www.censustools.com/portfolio/screenshot_category/canada/

B Jansen
24 November 2015, 08:21 PM

Randy

Yes, they work great in Numbers and really helpful for troublesome families with brick walls and mysteries.

mrstucci
03 December 2015, 01:53 PM

RandyHi Randy-I have the CensusTools spreadsheets but haven't used them yet. I am able to open them up but the issue I see (at least with the 1940 Census) is that I don't know how to change the column names from horizontal to vertical. Otherwise the names are squeezed into a too small a space. Maybe someone knows Numbers better than I and can tell me/us how to change the horizontal text to vertical (sideways I guess would be more accurate).

Steve Henley
10 December 2015, 07:26 PM
Rotation of cell text in Numbers is a much discussed missing feature.

A not very pretty, but easy to apply alternative is to select a cell and use "Wrap text" from the menu that pops up if you right click a cell with a mouse, or use a two finger click on a trackpad.

The wider cell columns are easier to read, the narrow ones not so much.

Personally, I feel that some of the columns titles like "Value of Home or Rent" look better wrapped than the default vertical from the Excel spreadsheet.

tinksquared
28 December 2015, 08:58 AM
I feel kind of silly asking this, but having just purchased census tools, I'm not exactly sure of the best approach to filling the sheets out and saving them.

For example, the 1940 census. Should I duplicate it exactly, with all people listed, or just my people?

Then, what's the best way to save each sheet? (I'm an Excel novice). Inside one master workbook, or save each sheet separately? I know there must be some work flow... but I'm so new to Excel I haven't a clue.

Just the 1940 census alone, filled out for every family in my tree, will make lots of 1940 sheets... so I hope I'm being clear and someone can lead me down the right path :)

B Jansen
28 December 2015, 08:56 PM
the best approach to filling the sheets out and saving them.

For my purposes, I fill them out (mine are all using the oldest ones 1790 or 1800, or I just this weekend added some 1787 and 1784 tax list substitutes to the top for one family) and then export them as PDFs. I add the PDFs as media to the individuals in the family in Reunion (and share those with others working on the same family).

AE Palmer
28 December 2015, 09:48 PM
I feel kind of silly asking this, but having just purchased census tools, I'm not exactly sure of the best approach to filling the sheets out and saving them.

For example, the 1940 census. Should I duplicate it exactly, with all people listed, or just my people?

IMHO, do not over think this do only what is necessary. Fill out the CensusTool sheet for just your people.

Then, what's the best way to save each sheet? (I'm an Excel novice). Inside one master workbook, or save each sheet separately? I know there must be some work flow... but I'm so new to Excel I haven't a clue.

Just the 1940 census alone, filled out for every family in my tree, will make lots of 1940 sheets... so I hope I'm being clear and someone can lead me down the right path :)

It is probably best to file individual Excel sheets, viz.: one family, one file.

tinksquared
29 December 2015, 09:21 AM
Thank you gentlemen :)