PDA

View Full Version : transfer problem in tranfer of data to new computer

Joyce Bernhard
23 September 2006, 02:10 PM
Being computer illiterates, we hired someone to install and transfer all data from iMac running 9.04 to iMac 10.04.7. How this stands right now is that Reunion 8 transferred to new computer into applications as a virgin with no data. My family file, reports etc. are all intact on the desktop. How do I get these back together? The disk was not installed on the new computer before the transfer. Should I install the disk now? I am scared to do anything until I get some advice. I have searched Reunion talk and haven

theKiwi
23 September 2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, you will need to use the Reunion install CD to install a version of Reunion for Mac OS X. The version that was on the Mac OS 9 iMac won't run under Mac OS X.

Depending on what version of Reunion is on your CD, you also probably will need to update that using the updaters from here

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version8/updates/update.php

If you have a version of Reunion less than 8.0.5 you will need first of all the update for 8.0.5, and then after that run the updater for 8.0.6

Once this is done, your existing genealogy data should open up fine.

Roger

Joyce Bernhard
23 September 2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, you will need to use the Reunion install CD to install a version of Reunion for Mac OS X. The version that was on the Mac OS 9 iMac won't run under Mac OS X.

Depending on what version of Reunion is on your CD, you also probably will need to upgrade that using the updaters from here

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version8/updates/update.php

If you have a version of Reunion less than 8.0.5 you will need first of all the update for 8.0.5, and then after that run the updater for 8.0.6

Once this is done, your existing genealogy data should open up fine.

RogerThanks Roger, The CD I have is, I believe 8.0.5. Will give that a try now. Joyce

Joyce Bernhard
25 September 2006, 09:24 AM
Everything is working fine now. Thank you Roger and thanks to Leister for this forum. Joyce

marnen
25 September 2006, 12:01 PM
Being computer illiterates, we hired someone to install and transfer all data from iMac running 9.04 to iMac 10.04.7. How this stands right now is that Reunion 8 transferred to new computer into applications as a virgin with no data.
Don't pay this person; he (or she) didn't do the job, since you wanted all data transferred.
EDIT: On rereading, I'm not sure that I'm right about that. Apparently, the data was transferred; you just weren't sure where it was.

But as others have pointed out, it's very simple to do the job yourself and save the money. :) Actually, this brings up another point...if you are using a computer (for genealogy or anything else) and see yourself as computer-illiterate, I would urge you to do yourself a favor and try to fix that. You wouldn't use (say) a sewing machine without learning how to operate it properly; please approach your computer similarly -- as a tool that you will get more out of the better you understand its use. I know there's an initial effort involved, but the rewards are very large indeed.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic...

Pat King
28 September 2006, 01:34 PM
I have found using a firewire to transfer files from one Mac to another Mac the easiest and quickest way. It took only about 15 minutes to completely transfer everything from one iMacG5 to another. Pat King

Bob White
28 September 2006, 11:52 PM
I have found using a firewire to transfer files from one Mac to another Mac the easiest and quickest way. It took only about 15 minutes to completely transfer everything from one iMacG5 to another. Pat King

I also love the Setup Assistant. In going from a G4 eMac to my Intel iMac, it took about 40 minutes and everything worked except for a couple of little shareware programs which didn't store their registration data in Preferences.

Setup Assistant wouldn't work for "kdbjmb" because the older computer is on OS9. It requires the "old" Mac to be on OSX 10.1 or newer and the "new" Mac to be 10.3.4 or newer.