PDA

View Full Version : Advice for managing genealogy email ?

Geoff Tani
22 September 2006, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have advice for how to manage genealogy related email? I currently keep all such mail in a folder in my mail application (OS X Mail). Maybe this is the best solution. I can search on mail content, and I can organize by thread.

On the other hand, I cannot easily make an email a Reunion source. I can copy and paste an email into a Reunion source record (or a record in a separate database). But the volume of emails is large, and it is tedious to copy and paste each email.

If it comes to moving emails to either Reunion or a separate database, is there any way to export them from Mail? Or do most of you just keep your emails in the mail application?

Thanks for any suggestions.

theKiwi
22 September 2006, 10:57 AM
I keep the mails in Mail.

Then, if it's a "small bit" of information I copy that from the mail and paste it into the Freeform part of the Source. eg

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.php?sourceID=S31&tree=Roger

If it's more significant, I also print out the eMail and file that by Source number, and may or may not include the text of the message in the Freeform part of the Source. eg

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.php?sourceID=S215&tree=Roger

Roger

Lynda
22 September 2006, 11:52 AM
I haven't had many to deal with, but my practice for keeping important mail messages is to print to PDF from Mail. It then becomes a file I can add keywords to (OS X function) and can name appropriately and keep with other digital sources.

Lynda

Amelia
22 September 2006, 06:55 PM
The search capabilities in OS X Mail are so fast and easy, I leave all my mail there. I even stopped using particular subfolders under my basic "Genealogy Archive", because it's just an additional step.

If I need to use an email as a source for a fact/event or for several people, I put the author, date, and subject of the email in a source in Reunion and use that. I can then easily find it in my Mail files, if for some reason I wanted to know more about the context.

If the usefulness of the email is primarily for a story or research tidbit it tells, I copy or paraphrase the contents into the notes of the relevant person, and credit the author by name and (munged) email.

If it's the document attached to the email that's what's useful, I file that on my hard drive, and the rest is the same as the above.

Ronald N. Gowe
23 September 2006, 12:30 AM
Does anyone have advice for how to manage genealogy related email? I currently keep all such mail in a folder in my mail application (OS X Mail). Maybe this is the best solution. I can search on mail content, and I can organize by thread.

On the other hand, I cannot easily make an email a Reunion source. I can copy and paste an email into a Reunion source record (or a record in a separate database). But the volume of emails is large, and it is tedious to copy and paste each email.

If it comes to moving emails to either Reunion or a separate database, is there any way to export them from Mail? Or do most of you just keep your emails in the mail application?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The following works very well for me: When reviewing my incoming mail, from the various sites I monitor, messages that have merit are saved to the desktop. Once all have so been collected daily, they are then edited and excess or not pertinent verbiage has been removed, they are then saved to one of two folders on the desktop.

The first is titled "Full Genealogy". It's contents are individual folders of main family lines, listed alphbetically by last name (all caps). These folders then contain sub-folders also filed by last name first, all caps, followed by the given name. Any mail pertaining to that person is then taken from the desktop and filed under the appropriate sub-folder.

The second folder is titled "Untraced Obits". In content structure it is the same. It's purpose is to collect all obits and other information on family files of common family names in my various lines, that have not as yet been 'connected' or 'proven'

On the individual Person Card in Reunion, using sources>e-mail, I create a number for the message that pertains to that person and its location is given as under "Full Geneaolgy", DOE, Tom. The source number is then placed on the family card where applicable. In most instances obits are then pasted in full in the 'Notes" section of the family card.

As time and inclination permits, the contents of the 'Untraced Obits' file is reviewed and attempts made to track down, verify and then add proven personages to the main family file. The icon of which is kept in the top left corner of the screen in order that it is readily accessed when the screen is otherwise covered with open files.

Good luck, Ron

Spyneyes
23 September 2006, 01:27 AM
I keep the mails in Mail. Then, if it's a "small bit" of information I copy that from the mail and paste it into the Freeform part of the Source. eg

What I'd be curious to know Roger, is how do you get the line breaks in your lists within your Source text fields?

From my early experience using Reunion when entering text in a text field all I could enter is continuous text without any way to break paragraphs or format the contents. I'm sure there's an easy answer to this and would appreciate any input.

I've looked through the Reunion manual but have been unable to find anything on this.

One other question, while I have your attention. I notice that many of your sources have a "Source Location" field which indicates "Filed under Source ____ ." Does that mean you have printed copies of those items physcially filed in a file folder?

By-the-way, I love your web site and am looking forward to having something similar to it. I refer to it often in my setting up of source material as well as other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

theKiwi
23 September 2006, 01:50 AM
What I'd be curious to know Roger, is how do you get the line breaks in your lists within your Source text fields?

If you're referring to how things like this

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.php?sourceID=S857&tree=Roger

are setup, I must admit it looks a bit ugly in Reunion, but since currently my focus is to store the data and publish it online it doesn't matter too much what it looks like in Reunion. Here is the actual census transcript as it appears in Reunion...

<pre>1851 Census for Kirkliston, Linlithgowshire, Scotland<br>Page 4. Dwelling Number 12<br>George Garland Head Mar 23 Farm Servant Linlithgow, [Unreadable]<br>Mary Garland Wife Mar 23 Edinburgh<br>George Garland Son 4m Linlithgow, Carlowrie</pre>

That is all one line with no line breaks (and this board seems to be stripping out the multiple spaces that make things lined up) in it when I paste it into Reunion. I "make" these entries in TextWrangler where I can lay them out in columns with a monospaced font, then replace all the line endings with <br> and then wrap the whole lot in the <pre> tags which makes it use the monospaced font in the browser. When I did it with actual line endings in the Reunion text fields, these got turned into <p> tags online, so the lines were "double spaced". As I say, not pretty in Reunion, but great online.

One other question, while I have your attention. I notice that many of your sources have a "Source Location" field which indicates "Filed under Source ____ ." Does that mean you have printed copies of those items physcially filed in a file folder?

Yes, I have most of my sources printed out as hard copies too - currently they take up nearly all of two 4 inch ring binders. I've become better at this in recent years - early on when I started in 1989 I must have had this idea I could remember where everything came from, and so didn't write as much down as I should have.

By-the-way, I love your web site and am looking forward to having something similar to it. I refer to it often in my setting up of source material as well as other ideas.

Thanks!!! It keeps me amused, (and at time frustrated too as I try to make some little "hack" to the PHP code that runs it all), but I like to work on getting all this work presented online where relatives - those I know about and those I don't can find it and contact me. In the last year I've had contacts from two people who are descended from two different siblings of my great great grandfather, one of whom I only knew their name, the other I didn't even know existed, but we share the same great great great grandfather. The first one contacted me not too long before we went to Scotland last year, so we had a visit with him in Dundee..

http://lisaandroger.com/Scotland2005/10/pages/page_9.html

shows me on the left and Sandy on the right. We're 4th cousins once removed according to Reunion :-)

Roger