PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC FTM to Reunion export question

arotolante
19 September 2006, 10:40 AM
Hi, all!

I'm a new convert to Reunion after using Family Tree Maker since the early 1990s. I had moved from PC to Mac two years ago, and since my move to the Mac I've continued using FTM with the Virtual PC emulator.

Now I'm ready to make the jump to Mac for good and give up the emulator. The only question is converting my family file (over 48,000 names) via GEDCOM to Reunion.

I did a test run with a small file and it worked fine. I have read the previous threads about FTM GEDCOM export to Reunion in this forum and was happy to see that others were able to convert their files reasonably well, given enough time and sweat.

Yesterday I tried to GEDCOM export my family file three different times. Each time, I got a MS Windows error that FTM had to quit. This occurred each time when my file was about 18 to 19% completed.

I was wondering if anyone else had enountered this problem. I'm wondering if the trouble is the emulator (I've already given it all the RAM "juice" I can in the settings). Perhaps if I tried it on an actual PC I'd have better luck converting it? Or perhaps the file is too gargantuan to convert in one big leap? Break it into chunks and try again?

I've emailed FTM support. A response can take 48 hours and even then I don't know that the question will actually be answered by a human on the first try. I may have to spend some time going back and forth with them to get someone who understands the situation. In the meantime, I thought I'd run it by you knowledgable Mac users.

I'm glad to finally be moving to the Mac for good!

Cheers!
Ann :)

ttl
19 September 2006, 11:36 AM
You've come up with the two courses of action I'd try. And I'd be a little leery of segmenting the file because of the potential difficulty of relinking people correctly between the segments.

The reasons for crashing that come to mind are that there's too much data overall, or perhaps there's a particular record that's quirky or corrupted. If it's the latter, segmenting might be the way to go... divide roughly in halves and export. If one half crashes, subdivide that in half and continue as required. If you are able to narrow it down to a particular record, then maybe you can fix it and re-export the whole file.

Is there a database repair command in FTM? If so, try running it on a copy to see if it makes a difference.

theKiwi
19 September 2006, 12:43 PM
I've successfully converted quite a few FTM files to GEDCOM to Reunion - although none as large as your one.

If you'd like me to give your file a try, compress it into a .zip archive and eMail it to me at rogerkiwi@aol.com

I have Virtual PC, and a Dell laptop (owned by our genealogy society, not me!!!!!) available with FTM 16 - the latest version.

Roger

arotolante
19 September 2006, 05:46 PM
Well, I just moved my Family Tree Maker file to a regular, old Windows PC and encountered the same problem. The file just cannot export, stalling at the 18-19% completed point.

I also tried "compacting" the file, which is supposed to fix errors. Both on Virtual PC and on the Windows PC the compacting crashed the program at the 4% point.

I'm happy to start dividing the file into chunks, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this. In FTM, it is possible to export an individual, his ancestors, and his descendants, but this does not include any collateral lines (siblings, distant cousins, etc.). Argh! Does anyone have any ideas on how to "divide and conquer" this huge file?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Cheers!

ttl
19 September 2006, 06:02 PM
if you have a way to find each oldest ancestor in every line of your database, you should be able to export each one with their descendants as a separate group. If you get every oldest ancestor and export accordingly, you should get everyone in the database. Perhaps one ancestor's family will crash upon export. If so, you can work your way downward through the descendants in that group to find the guilty party. Once the bad record(s) is/are corrected (if that's the problem), you might be able to do a bulk export. This would save the work of matching and merging all the duplicates that would result from the separate exports.

Post 100! (If anyone cares.... )

theKiwi
19 September 2006, 06:33 PM
What version of FTM do you have? FTM 16, which recently replaced FTM 2006 is the latest. If you don't have FTM 16, feel free to eMail me a zipped version of the .ftw file and I'll see if FTM 16 can crack it open.

Is anything written to the GEDCOM file when the process stalls? if so, open the GEDCOM file in a text editor and see what the last 10 - 20 lines are. That might give a clue as to which record has the problem in it.

It's possible that a pass through an intermediary software might "fix" what ails this too - there are other Windows software that can directly open .ftw files - RootsMagic is one, The Master Genealogist is another.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/

http://whollygenes.com/

there may be others too, but I'm not aware of them.

If this were me I'd rather spend some hours trying to figure this out if at all possible than to try and figure out how to export your file in chunks and then put it all back together without duplication again. For example if you have 20 "end of line" ancestors, and you export the descendants of each of them separately you'll end up in each of those 20 exports and so appear in the new file 20 times until you do an unbelievable amount of Matching and Merging.

Roger

ttl
19 September 2006, 06:52 PM
Is anything written to the GEDCOM file when the process stalls? if so, open the GEDCOM file in a text editor and see what the last 10 - 20 lines are. That might give a clue as to which record has the problem in it.
Awesome idea!

If this were me I'd rather spend some hours trying to figure this out if at all possible than to try and figure out how to export your file in chunks and then put it all back together without duplication again. For example if you have 20 "end of line" ancestors, and you export the descendants of each of them separately you'll end up in each of those 20 exports and so appear in the new file 20 times until you do an unbelievable amount of Matching and Merging.

I guess I didn't say it very well, but my main point was if Ann can isolate the problem records (if they exist) by exporting in chunks, then they can be dealt with and then redo the export all at once. I'd hate to deal with all the matching and merging too... I haven't thought it all the way through, but probably everyone in that huge database would be duplicated! Multiple times.

Just thinking out loud, mostly. Interesting problem... I'm glad it's only academic for me!

ttl
19 September 2006, 06:59 PM
BTW, you should take Roger up on his offer to try FTM 16. If there's a bug in your version of the software, his version just might have a fix for it and bypass the problem.

Roger's definitely one of the good guys. (Although I don't know of any bad guys on the forum, either! :rolleyes: )

arotolante
19 September 2006, 07:32 PM
I'll have a look at the export and see if there is anything there. Is it possible to open a GEDCOM with Text Editor or MS Word to have a look at it?

I've been using FTM 2005. I haven't updated to FTM 2006 or 16.

I'll keep at it and see what I find. I may have to ask Roger for helpsies, but I'll try to solve on my own first.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions :)

ttl
19 September 2006, 09:02 PM
I'll have a look at the export and see if there is anything there. Is it possible to open a GEDCOM with Text Editor or MS Word to have a look at it?Yes, a gedcom file is simply a text file with structure.

arotolante
20 September 2006, 12:34 PM
I heard back from FTM and they suggested a few things. Including compacting the file (which craps out on me at 4% complete) and reindexing the file (not on the FTM2005 menu or manual - it consists of pressing CTL+ALT+SHIFT+BACKSPACE). I've reindexed but still had the same trouble exporting the GEDCOM file.

So, I'm doing a combo of suggestions to troubleshoot the problem! I'm working on my old Windows ME notebook so as to take any emulation weirdness out of the equation. As you all have suggested, I'm looking at the failed GED exports to see where the trouble is, correcting it (usually by deleting an individual and then typing them back in), then reindexing the file, then trying a new GED export. It's slow, but not as slow as it could be - I don't have to retype all 48,000 names at least!

I've done this three times and have gotten the GED export up to 29%! So I'm getting there!

I'll let you know how it goes as I continue the work.

Cheers for all the help!

arotolante
20 September 2006, 01:41 PM
And then I hit a speedbump....:(

I've gotten the GEDCOM to work up to 31% completion before crashing FTM2005.

And now I've come across an individual that I can't delete! I've detached them from their children, parents, and two spouses. I've also created a new individual with the same name, etc. to insert in their place in the database. But I still can't delete this freefloating, unattached, glitchy individual.

I also can't delete their sources or their dates. If I try to do that, the program crashes as well. ARGH!

Anyone have any tips or hints? I've also responded to FTM about this.

BTW, I can't believe how screwed up my database has gotten over the years! It will be great to start off in Reunion with a shiny, sparkling clean database :)

ttl
20 September 2006, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear you're making progress. Sounds like you've found the epicenter of the evil in your database.

It may be that FTM support might have the best chance of dealing with this. In the meantime, I'd make a copy of the file and try a few things on the copy, such as:

- Is there a way to delete the individual from the index?
- Can you open the file in a text editor and do a search on his name? Then delete his name from the file? Don't try this with the original file!
- Can you select his branch and delete it?
- Is there a way to select everything but his branch and export it?

In general, if you can't delete the record head on, if you can figure out a way to do it indirectly, you might have a chance of dealing with it.

And there's always the chance that FTM 16 has better fault tolerance.

ttl
20 September 2006, 02:12 PM
Also, have you tried the export after de-linking this individual? Or tried deleting all the people surrounding this individual, then deleting the individual?

arotolante
20 September 2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Tim! I'll try some of your suggestions.

This particular epicenter of evil (I really like that!) happens to be one of my direct ancestors. Little troublemaker :P

ttl
16 October 2006, 12:58 PM
Hi Ann--did you ever have any luck resolving the export problem? Just curious about "the rest of the story...."

arotolante
27 December 2006, 11:23 AM
Hi, Tim!

Thanks for checking up on me :)

I had to put the database conversion on hold for awhile until this week. I spent my Christmas holiday working with it - deleting and rekeying some individuals while also unlinking and excluding others from GEDCOM export. It worked a treat and took me a few days, but I finally got a clean, lovely new GEDCOM export out of it! YAY! :)

I actually made SIX GEDCOM exports, with different parameters, etc. to see how Reunion would import them. So far so good - Reunion likes them all :)

Now I need to go back and find the post someone did awhile back on prepping FTM fields for GEDCOM export.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! You've helped to give me a lovely Christmas gift :)

Cheers & Happy Holidays!