PDA

View Full Version : Generations to Reunion 8

Steve AJ
18 September 2006, 06:35 PM
I am new to Reunion 8 and wish to import some family tree data from Generations software into Reunion. Can anyone see any potential problems in this transfer? What would be the easiest way to do it? Presumably via gedcom but I've never transferred data before. I have Mac OSX 10.4.7. Many thanks from a grateful rookie!

theKiwi
18 September 2006, 07:51 PM
I am new to Reunion 8 and wish to import some family tree data from Generations software into Reunion. Can anyone see any potential problems in this transfer? What would be the easiest way to do it? Presumably via gedcom but I've never transferred data before. I have Mac OSX 10.4.7. Many thanks from a grateful rookie!

Depending on the version of Generations that the file comes from, it might be possible to import the Generations .uds file directly into Reunion and so avoid the pitfalls of a GEDCOM transfer.

Open the manual and search for

import generations

the 2nd, 3rd and 4th results have some information that might be helpful.

Roger

fjvanbodegom
19 September 2006, 04:24 AM
It is not possible to import Generations direct in Reunion 8.
This direct import of a Generations family file was possible from Reunion 5 till Reunion 7.

So you had to import the Generations family file FIRST in Reunion 7 and then 'updating' the Reunion 7 family file to a Reunion 8 family file.

I think lots of Reunion 8 users still have the Reunion 7 programm to help you.

BTW: Reunion 7 only works on MacOS 8.5 - 9.2
When you have a Mac with a PowerPC with OS X and Classic, it is possible to work with Reunion 7
If you have an new Intel Mac, it is NOT possible to work with Reunion 7.

Might be this comment is helpful for you.

Michael
19 September 2006, 10:59 AM
I am new to Reunion 8 and wish to import some family tree data from Generations software into Reunion. Can anyone see any potential problems in this transfer? What would be the easiest way to do it? Presumably via gedcom but I've never transferred data beforeHi Steve,

You can send us (help@leisterpro.com) a copy of your Generations family file for conversion. This will avoid the need to export a Gedcom file. All information except for unused sources will transfer. Your multimedia links (if any) will transfer, however, you will still need to re-link those items in Reunion. The links will be referring to the Windows file system and won't work on your Mac.

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version8/questions/answers/generations.php