PDA

View Full Version : alternative to adobe photoshop?

bunzino
19 March 2005, 11:23 PM
Anyone know of a good/inexpensive alt to photshop? I primarily want to be able to take a photo and make it full contrast (totally black & white -- no greys) to transfer to fabric.

TIA
Nina Bunin
Arlington, VA 22207

David G. Kanter
19 March 2005, 11:53 PM
Anyone know of a good/inexpensive alt to photshop? I primarily want to be able to take a photo and make it full contrast (totally black & white -- no greys) to transfer to fabric.
I'd wholeheartedly endorse GraphicConverter. Check it out at http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm . It's a fabulously versatile program and the author is extraordinarily attentive to keeping it current and bug free. The shareware fee is $35 ($30 without cd delivery)--and that's a bargain for all that the program does. I suspect someone else can chime in to give you a less expensive, if not free, alternative that will change the color depth to 1 bit, but--FWIW--even though I have Photoshop Elements, I wouldn't be without GraphicConverter.

dfilpus
20 March 2005, 02:25 AM
I would second the recommendation for GraphicConverter.

Recently, I have started using Gimp http://www.gimp.org/ for processing pictures. It has many of the features of full Photoshop, but is open source and free. It uses the X11 interface, which is more like Unix than MacOS. It runs on MacOS 10.3

Since I have not ponied up the money for full Photoshop, I use all of the following for image editting:

Photoshop Elements 3.0 ($80)
Gimp (free)
GraphicConverter ($30)
Photoshop LE 5.0 (came with my scanner)

Each has tools the others do not.

BrannonSG
20 March 2005, 02:25 PM
I would second the recommendation for GraphicConverter.

Recently, I have started using Gimp http://www.gimp.org/ for processing pictures.

FWIW:

I tried out GIMP, and it was OK. Its use was not intuitive for me (especially since I was used to Adobe's Photoshop).

My biggest complaint about the software, however, was that once I decided that I no longer needed it, it was impossible for me to fully remove it from my system. I believe that I still have remnants of it around. It places files all over the place, and there are no endorsed uninstall procedures or instructions.

Steve

Janet Mobley
20 March 2005, 02:39 PM

TIA
Nina Bunin
Arlington, VA 22207

I just wrote a review of Elements 3 for the North Coast Mac Users Group in California. I think it is a terrific program, much easier than Photoshop and 1/6 the cost.
With my review of the application, I reviewed the book, "Scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements" by Lynette Kent. More than half the book is about Elements and general uses of the spp., digital cameras, printers, etc.

Janet Mobley
Petaluma, CA

Steve W. Jackson
21 March 2005, 08:00 PM
FWIW:

I tried out GIMP, and it was OK. Its use was not intuitive for me (especially since I was used to Adobe's Photoshop).

My biggest complaint about the software, however, was that once I decided that I no longer needed it, it was impossible for me to fully remove it from my system. I believe that I still have remnants of it around. It places files all over the place, and there are no endorsed uninstall procedures or instructions.

Steve

This uninstall problem is eliminated if you use the packaged version, often called Gimp.app. If you visit Apple's Unix & Open Source download page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/), you'll find a link to version 2.2.3 there. When I downloaded that release (though from a different location), I got a DMG file whose contents I simply dragged to a location of my choosing. And a search of my system shows that the only place any files have been placed for it are within the folder where I placed it, plus a folder named Gimp added to my ~Library/Application Support folder. So with this version, uninstalling is as simple as trashing the folder where it's installed and then that Gimp folder in Application Support.

= Steve =

Kim
22 March 2005, 01:04 AM
I just wrote a review of Elements 3 for the North Coast Mac Users Group in California. I think it is a terrific program, much easier than Photoshop and 1/6 the cost.
With my review of the application, I reviewed the book, "Scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements" by Lynette Kent. More than half the book is about Elements and general uses of the spp., digital cameras, printers, etc.

Janet Mobley
Petaluma, CA

Is your review available online anywhere?

Beth Haney
22 March 2005, 07:23 PM
There's a 30 day demo version of Elements available on the Adobe site. There's also a great users' forum, and we help a lot of people evaluate and get started with the software. Between the demo and the forum, you should be able to find out pretty quickly if Elements will do what you want. Free, too.

durandjk
29 March 2005, 11:55 AM
I primarily want to be able to take a photo and make it full contrast (totally black & white -- no greys) to transfer to fabric.iPhoto will do this. The new version that's a part of iLife 05 has greatly improved photo manipulation features. I have Photoshop Elements, too, and love it.

Julie