PDA

View Full Version : starting from the top - or going backwards

Scott Simons
19 March 2005, 12:44 PM
I have entered some family info with about 200 members and now have new info that was provided to me - unfortunately I am having a hard time going backwards up the line, is there anyway i can start with the oldest info provided and then work my way back to the info i have

David G. Kanter
19 March 2005, 01:48 PM
. . .is there anyway i can start with the oldest info provided and then work my way back to the info i have

Sure. Choose Edit->Add Unrelated Person->[applicable sex] and you'll be presented with an empty Edit Person window. (It's called an unrelated person because, at that point, you haven't connected the person to the rest of your family tree.) Enter the information for that oldest person. When you click Save, you'll have that new person on their own Family Card with, for now, no connections to anyone else in your Family File. (Side Note: You can find any other such people in your Family File--whether entered deliberately or by mistake--by using the preset of "Unlinked people" in Find Anything.)

Continue to enter that person's spouse/partner and children information as you normally do until you get to someone who has already been entered into the Family File. At that point, instead of entering that person a second time (that's a "no no"), you'll--instead--make the connection to their existing information. If it's a child, choose the appropriate "Existing" option from the blue "+" pop-up menu at the bottom of the Family Card and then select the child from the Index that will be presented to you; if a spouse/partner, do the same from the green "+" pop-up menu just above the just-newly added person. (If you search the manual for "existing", you'll find where this is explained.)

Now all the "from the top" entries are linked to the information you had previously entered "going backwards".