PDA

View Full Version : Using Reunion 8 off of external hard drive

elishama
01 September 2006, 12:09 AM
Is is possible to run Reunion 8 off of an external hard drive ONLY, not having it on my Mac at all? That would mean working without an operating system, and it would be plugged in only to actually use the program.

Please advise how to make this work.

Bob White
01 September 2006, 12:29 AM
Is is possible to run Reunion 8 off of an external hard drive ONLY, not having it on my Mac at all? That would mean working without an operating system, and it would be plugged in only to actually use the program.

You have an OS on the Mac that is accessing the external hard disk. The internal hard disk, any external hard disks, CD's, DVD's, floppy disks, jump drives, flash drives (like from your digital camera), SuperDrive disks, Zip drive disks...etc. are all the same thing to your Mac or PC. Each is a volume.

Your Reunion program (and any other program) need to reside on a bootable disk. Data can live anywhere (although there are programs out there that insist on data being stored in the same location as the program).

Your internal is, of course, bootable. You can create a bootable external. However, if you had Reunion installed on the external, you would be in the Boot Camp syndrome -- you would have to shut down the Mac and restart it from the external bootable hard disk to use Reunion. In my humble opinion, that is not a desirable situation.

Having said all of that, I am curious as to why you would not want the program on your internal hard disk??

theKiwi
01 September 2006, 12:52 AM
Your Reunion program (and any other program) need to reside on a bootable disk. Data can live anywhere (although there are programs out there that insist on data being stored in the same location as the program).

Applications do not need to be on a bootable disk to run them. Some applications may need to be on a writeable drive, but that would be only if the application needed to write to itself during execution.

I'm not sure why elishama is wanting to do this, but if he/she wants to put Reunion 8 and the family file for it onto an external drive to use it from there - and in doing so have it portable around a number of computers without needing to install it on each computer - then that will work.

Roger

marnen
01 September 2006, 03:22 AM
Is is possible to run Reunion 8 off of an external hard drive ONLY, not having it on my Mac at all?
You mean not having the application stored on the internal hard drive? As others have said, it should be possible. (Caveat: I've never done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

That would mean working without an operating system,
No, actually it wouldn't. There would still be an operating system involved -- otherwise your computer wouldn't run! -- it just wouldn't be on the same disk as Reunion.
and it would be plugged in only to actually use the program.

Just install Reunion on the external HD, then run it as you would any other application. There's really nothing conceptually different about running an application from an external HD.

An idea: if you do this on a flash drive or other portable storage unit, and put your data files on the flash drive along with the application, you could potentially have a good solution for running Reunion on several computers with the same data (say, a desktop computer at home, your laptop while on the road, and a friend's computer when you get where you're going).

EDIT: I somehow missed that Roger had already suggested the same thing in his post. Oh well...great minds think alike. :)

marnen
01 September 2006, 03:25 AM
Your Reunion program (and any other program) need to reside on a bootable disk.
As Roger already said, this is quite inaccurate. I would be interested to know where you got this information so that I can strike it off my list of reliable sources. :)

ttl
01 September 2006, 11:11 AM
I think that if you run Reunion from an external drive, if you set preferences, they may stay with the computer you changed them from (preferences are stored in the user account on each computer). I'm not sure which items are stored in the user preferences and which are stored with the family file, but if you see changes in behavior from computer to computer, that's a possible explanation.

marnen
01 September 2006, 11:35 AM
Hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right. Of course, you could copy your prefs file onto your external drive and take that with you too...

theKiwi
01 September 2006, 12:34 PM
I think that if you run Reunion from an external drive, if you set preferences, they may stay with the computer you changed them from (preferences are stored in the user account on each computer). I'm not sure which items are stored in the user preferences and which are stored with the family file, but if you see changes in behavior from computer to computer, that's a possible explanation.

Looking in the Reunion 8 Preferences file it seems to contain the following:

The path to the Reports folder
The name of the Browser that's set
The name of the Word Processor that's set
The default Chart Title
Some notes about Fonts (I see Times, Helvetica and Geneva mentioned)
The path to a Multimedia folder

All the settings that are peculiar to any particular family file are stored in that family file.

As Marnen notes, if you need these things to remain the same, then you'd need to move the Prefs file with the application and data files on the External hard drive, and before using Reunion put the Preferences file into Hard Drive ------> Users ------> TheUserName ------> Library ------> Preferences.

If you don't need these things to remain the same, it doesn't matter.

Roger

elishama
01 September 2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will try making this work, and then give an update. To clarify, the reason I want to do this is to allay my family's concearns about spiders and such infiltrating my computer and extracting data about them from my program.

Thanks for the help,
Elishama

marnen
01 September 2006, 03:54 PM
Consider your family's concerns allayed. Such a threat is not really feasible AFAIK. Anyway, if it were, having the data on an external drive wouldn't help much -- as long as it's connected to the computer, the files are visible just the same as files on the internal hard drive are visible. It makes no difference to the OS whether a drive is internal or external.

Finally, remember that the data files and the application are two separate things. With the scenario you describe, you might as well have the application on the internal HD and just put the data files on the external disk.

Bob White
02 September 2006, 09:17 PM
Applications do not need to be on a bootable disk to run them. Some applications may need to be on a writeable drive, but that would be only if the application needed to write to itself during execution.

I'm not sure why elishama is wanting to do this, but if he/she wants to put Reunion 8 and the family file for it onto an external drive to use it from there - and in doing so have it portable around a number of computers without needing to install it on each computer - then that will work.

Roger

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough and, thus, not clear. I apologize to all.

A clear statement is that there has to be a bootable disk involved, e.g. a disk that has an OS on it. Yes, the application can be on the external disk but it wouldn't run without involving an OS ------ the OS can be on either disk. Shoot --- I have run applications off things such as Zip disks and jump drives; the bootable drive in those cases was the internal hard disk containing an OS.

Marnen: Please don't strike me from your list of reliable sources. I have been doing desktop support both professionally and for pleasure since the early 1980's. I just did not speak clearly enough for others to receive what I really was saying. :o

Lynn Sheren
03 September 2006, 12:30 AM
You have an OS on the Mac that is accessing the external hard disk. The internal hard disk, any external hard disks, CD's, DVD's, floppy disks, jump drives, flash drives (like from your digital camera), SuperDrive disks, Zip drive disks...etc. are all the same thing to your Mac or PC. Each is a volume...Good evening,

I just purchased a Lacie 250 external hard drive to back up and store my photos and scanned documents. I have been doing a little trial and error and I down loaded my Reunion Folder and Mail Folder along with my photos and Documents to my new external hard drive.

I can open my reunion program on both drives at the same time and research within each one independantly and research two familys at the same time. I don't know if you would ever need to do that or not, but it does work.

My internal drive is my main program and the external drive is for back up storage. If I make a change on Reunion software on my internal drive, I would need to up date my external copy by transferring the new changed file from my internal drive, to it. They do not interact with each other automatically.

The Mail application is another matter. You can use either hard drive to open, read mail. If you open and read mail on one drive, it does so on the other drive at the same time. If you open both mail applications up on each drive, at the same time. they do not like it. There is a conflict between the two and you have to force quit, to quit the mail applications.

I am working on this and I am far from an expert, but I am becoming dangerous with a little knowledge.

I have an add on question concerning making back up photos and documents to an external hard drive. If I copy them independantly of an application like iphoto and HP's application, they are copied like a jpg icon and not the photo or document image it self. With a few thousand photo's and documents it can get really confusing reviewing the photos to find one image of a hundred, of one person through their life, if you cannot see the photo image, only the jpg icon.

That is why I down loaded the iphoto and the HP photo applications on the external hard drive so that I could view the photo images and documents, so that they could be viewed and easily found, viewing the actual images and not the icons.

Is there a photo application that will copy the jpg, and tiff images in there original form, to be copied on CD's. DVD's and external hard drives and not the icon only.

And last. What photo and document application do you recommend, i-photo, HP, Cannon, Photo shop, Photo Elements, to copy, store photo's and documents. If there is another forum that answers these questions, please direct me to it.

Bob's, Rogers and others, comments are appreciated.

Lynn Sheren

theKiwi
03 September 2006, 01:08 AM
I can open my reunion program on both drives at the same time and research within each one independantly and research two familys at the same time. I don't know if you would ever need to do that or not, but it does work.

My internal drive is my main program and the external drive is for back up storage. If I make a change on Reunion software on my internal drive, I would need to up date my external copy by transferring the new changed file from my internal drive, to it. They do not interact with each other automatically.
This works because each instance of the Reunion application is dealing with a separate data file. But be aware that in the background each instance of the Reunion application is dealing with the SAME Reunion preferences file, so unexpected things might occur - particularly if you make changes to any of the preferences in one Reunion - the other "might not like it".

Additionally, running two instances of Reunion might be a violation of the License Agreement.

If you want two family files open at the same time, you can do this with one instance of Reunion running - no need for two instances of Reunion to be able to have 2 family files open.

The Mail application is another matter. You can use either hard drive to open, read mail. If you open and read mail on one drive, it does so on the other drive at the same time. If you open both mail applications up on each drive, at the same time. they do not like it. There is a conflict between the two and you have to force quit, to quit the mail applications.

The reason there are problems here is because both Mail applications are trying to use the same mail database - it's stored in your Home folder ------> Library ------> Mail folder.

I am working on this and I am far from an expert, but I am becoming dangerous with a little knowledge.
Yes, this does all sound a little dangerous :-)

I have an add on question concerning making back up photos and documents to an external hard drive. If I copy them independantly of an application like iphoto and HP's application, they are copied like a jpg icon and not the photo or document image it self. With a few thousand photo's and documents it can get really confusing reviewing the photos to find one image of a hundred, of one person through their life, if you cannot see the photo image, only the jpg icon.

The Finder should copy files with their custom icon intact from one drive to another - at least it does for me. Copying in Terminal might not do that though (and if you don't know what Terminal means, forget I wrote that <g>)

Is there a photo application that will copy the jpg, and tiff images in there original form, to be copied on CD's. DVD's and external hard drives and not the icon only.
Simply dragging and dropping them in the Finder should preserve the Custom Icon, as long as the Custom Icon shows in the Finder in the first place.

And last. What photo and document application do you recommend, i-photo, HP, Cannon, Photo shop, Photo Elements, to copy, store photo's and documents. If there is another forum that answers these questions, please direct me to it
I use iPhoto to manage my thousands of digital camera pictures, but just use the Finder to manage documents, scanned images etc that don't originate with the digital camera. I use Photoshop to edit all these images, and also to edit images from within iPhoto if they need anything but the most basic changes made to them.

Roger

Lynn Sheren
03 September 2006, 04:12 PM
This works because each instance of the Reunion application is dealing with a separate data file. But be aware that in the background each instance of the Reunion application is dealing with the SAME Reunion preferences file, so unexpected things might occur - particularly if you make changes to any of the preferences in one Reunion - the other "might not like it"...Roger:

What about sharing photos copied, via CD, DVD? My son-in-law has an i-mac G5 and copied photos to a DVD. When I tried to view them on my G4, the program said that the DVD was made with a newer version of i-photo than what was not on my G4 and I could not view them on my mac. That would be a problem in sharing photos and documents with other researchers.

I wonder if I had copied them to a DVD using Toast or Photoshop, or another application, if I would have the same problem sharing with others. Would all i-photo versions and other photo applications recognize them then? If I copied them in the finder and did not use i-photo, it might work, and then i-photo and other photo applications might be able to view them, whether new or old versions of the software. If we all had new macs, that would do it too. I thought jpg's were universal and should be able to be shared, mac, pc and what ever program.

I am just trying to find my way around this maze.

Thanks for your comments.

Lynn

theKiwi
03 September 2006, 05:15 PM
What about sharing photos copied, via CD, DVD? My son-in-law has an i-mac G5 and copied photos to a DVD. When I tried to view them on my G4, the program said that the DVD was made with a newer version of i-photo than what was not on my G4 and I could not view them on my mac. That would be a problem in sharing photos and documents with other researchers.
This would have happened because your son-in-law put a copy of his iPhoto Library onto the DVD rather than just putting the individual image files onto the DVD.

In iPhoto if he EXPORTS the photos they will be put onto the DVD as individual image files - if he chooses the right options they will be exact copies of the files in his iPhoto Library.

I wonder if I had copied them to a DVD using Toast or Photoshop, or another application, if I would have the same problem sharing with others. Would all i-photo versions and other photo applications recognize them than? If I copied them in the finder and did not use i-photo, it might work, and then i-photo and other photo applications might be able to view them, whether new or old versions of the software. If we all had new macs, that would do it too. I thought jpg's were universal and should be able to be shared, mac, pc and what ever program.

Yes, if the photos are copied in the Finder, any computer that can read the disk can see the photos on the disk as JPEG files if that's what they started out as. Or as I note above, instead of just using the Burn button in iPhoto, use the File ------> Export menu to export the photos out of iPhoto that you want and then burn the resulting folder to a CD or DVD using the Finder - no need for Toast even if your Mac supports CD burning from the Finder.

Roger

kyuck
03 September 2006, 05:20 PM
I have an add on question concerning making back up photos and documents to an external hard drive. If I copy them independantly of an application like iphoto and HP's application, they are copied like a jpg icon and not the photo or document image it self.
If when you are in Finder you go to View>Show View Options, you have the choice of selecting "Show icon preview."
This will give you a preview of each of your jpeg files. May be a little small though you could increase the icon size at the same time.

Lynn Sheren
03 September 2006, 05:24 PM
This would have happened because your son-in-law put a copy of his iPhoto Library onto the DVD rather than just putting the individual image files onto the DVD...Roger

Thanks for the information.

elishama
05 September 2006, 02:22 AM
Just an update, it does work. This would be a solution for several people who have expressed interest in working on their files away from home. Just move your family file to a flash drive before leaving, then when you are away use that to work on the info, and move it back to your main computer when you get home. Turns out it is quite easy.

marnen
05 September 2006, 03:21 PM
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough and, thus, not clear. I apologize to all.

A clear statement is that there has to be a bootable disk involved, e.g. a disk that has an OS on it. Yes, the application can be on the external disk but it wouldn't run without involving an OS.
Right -- because you can't boot the computer at all without an OS somewhere.
Marnen: Please don't strike me from your list of reliable sources. I have been doing desktop support both professionally and for pleasure since the early 1980's. I just did not speak clearly enough for others to receive what I really was saying. :o
Oh, it wasn't you I was going to strike. :) It was whoever supplied you with what, at the time, sounded like ridiculously inaccurate information. I'm glad to know that it was just a comprehension problem.

Michael
05 September 2006, 05:52 PM
An idea: if you do this on a flash drive or other portable storage unit, and put your data files on the flash drive along with the application, you could potentially have a good solution for running Reunion on several computers with the same data (say, a desktop computer at home, your laptop while on the road, and a friend's computer when you get where you're going).While it's possible to run Reunion from a flash drive or memory card, we don't recommend doing it. There are many things that happen behind the scenes when a family file is open -- much more than what a word processor document or another file will likely do. For example, there's a lot of movement into and out of memory. As a result, editing a family file on such a drive can make file corruption or damage much more likely. While you can safely store and transport your file with a flash drive, you'll want to avoid editing the file directly on the drive. Drag it to your Desktop (or another location) before opening and editing your file.

Gregg
06 September 2006, 01:44 PM
While it's possible to run Reunion from a flash drive or memory card, we don't recommend doing it.I want to clarify what Mike said yesterday about flash drives and memory cards...

First, I see no problem running the Reunion application from an external Firewire hard drive or from a secondary internal hard drive. The same is true for the family file -- Reunion can open and edit a family file that is sitting on either of the two types of drives I just mentioned.

The area for caution is removable drives (like Iomega's Zip and Jazz drives or any of the many different USB flash drives or memory cards). I would even include external USB hard drives into this warning. We recommend that you do not run the application or open your family files on these drives. We recommend only using removable drives to make backups and to move files from one Mac to another. Copy the files from the removable drive to your machine's hard drive before actually using them.

The main reason for this caution is that experience has demonstrated to our support staff that it's simply too easy for the user (or the system) to remove one of these drives while Reunion is accessing it, potentially causing damage to the family file. The second reason is performance: most of these drives

STEVE
07 September 2006, 05:40 PM
I have an add on question concerning making back up photos and documents to an external hard drive. If I copy them independantly of an application like iphoto and HP's application, they are copied like a jpg icon and not the photo or document image it self. With a few thousand photo's and documents it can get really confusing reviewing the photos to find one image of a hundred, of one person through their life, if you cannot see the photo image, only the jpg icon...Lynn,

If you have a lot of photo's and you want to know all the information about them, be able to label, caption, footnote, keyword, group and sort in multiple ways; I suggest you take a look at iView. I've been using the program for years and am totally pleased with it. I regularly work with 100,000+ photo catalogues with no trouble. It is amazing, to me, the amount of information iView discovers about each photo all on its own. It's just as amazing how much information you can add. It also makes moving collections or individual photos extremely easy.

<http://www.iview-multimedia.com/>

Hope this helps, and no, I don't work for or benefit from selling iView.
STEVE

Lynn Sheren
09 September 2006, 11:47 PM
Lynn,

If you have a lot of photo's and you want to know all the information about them, be able to label, caption, footnote, keyword, group and sort in multiple ways; I suggest you take a look at iView...Steve,

Thanks for the information.

Lynn

Budlink
23 September 2006, 10:58 PM
I have been using an external 2 gig firewire drive TOTALLY for my Reunion and web design files. I did not want to have any chance of NOT being able to take my files with me in the event of an emergency!! Should I need to evacuate, I can grab my firewire drive and scoot! (This is also where I put my email back-up file...)

Once your 'path' has been established, Reunion has NO problems finding the files it needs to be the wonderful program we all know and love!!

When I boot up my computer in the evening the firewire drive boots up as well... If I need to remove it, I just 'eject' the drive. But my main reason for purchasing this drive was to house my Reunion files...

This has been working beautifully for 5 years now!!