PDA

View Full Version : Length of Notes to Facts

Carolyn Johnson
18 March 2005, 06:57 PM
I've recently purchased Reunion to use on my new eMac. After transferring my Gedcoms from my PC (where I was using the wonderful Family Origins Windows), I find that many of my fact notes have been truncated, or cut off, after a few lines. Admittedly many of the notes were extensive. However they represent many hours of work and research.
Can someone/anyone suggest how I can fix this problem? Thank you for your help.

jmonty
18 March 2005, 07:23 PM
Have you looked at your GEDCOM file to make sure it does not already have the notes as truncated? It's worth a check as the problem might not be on the Reunion side.

Gregg
18 March 2005, 11:06 PM
I find that many of my fact notes have been truncated, or cut off, after a few lines.Try re-importing the Gedcom file into a new empty family file. After you choose the file to import, Reunion shows the Gedcom Import window. Select the "Optional Fields" tab and make sure the destination of these fields is Note and not Fact.

Then import file.

Carolyn Johnson
20 March 2005, 11:14 PM
Thank you both for your replies, and my apologies for being so slow to understand. For example, if I have a "note" to a "Will" fact (under my old PC program) and the note contains the whole text of the Will, do I get that when transferred over to my Reunion program the text of the Will would show up under a separate listing (i.e. Notes - Will), rather than being directly associated with the Fact?
"make sure the destination of these fields is Note and not Fact."
Gregg, would it then be the case that I'd need to go thru my old program and mark any Fact>Note for any given individual? On a case by case basis? I must not be understanding this correctly, and I apologize for being slow. But am trying to learn how to handle this correctly.
Thank you again for your help

Gregg
21 March 2005, 09:20 AM
...would it then be the case that I'd need to go thru my old program and mark any Fact>Note for any given individual? On a case by case basis?I guess I misunderstood your initial message.

It sounds like you have a fact with a note attached to it, I was thinking that you had a real long fact that was getting truncated.

Either way, you should not have to do something to every person. If my first suggestion does not work, please send us a copy of the Gedcom file from Family Origins and we might be able to get the attached notes to import as sources.