PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto Manager for storing census files and....

Susan Torguson
14 August 2006, 10:57 PM
Hello again. Well, I finally did figure out how to activate the iPhoto Manager and I did move a census image onto the desktop and then dragged into the new Library. I'm not sure, though how to title these images since they seem all to land in new "Film Rolls".

I searched out a previous post from 2005 which led me to iPhoto Manager as a way to keep track of censuses. In the thread, it indicated you could Ctl click on the image in Safari for the option to save in iPhoto.

I did find the software for iPhoto Manager and downloaded it, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. I did Ctl click on a census image, but my only options were to save it to the desktop, copy it, or Open image in a new window. There was no option for iPhoto.

I love the idea of having censuses available to browse in iPhoto, but I need some help in making that happen. Would someone be willing to walk me through it please?

Sue

kmgenealogy
15 August 2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the wonderful idea of putting the census images in iPhoto. Here's how I can do it:

I get my images from Ancestry.com
1) Open census image
2) Click on Print button in top right area (just checked and you don't even have to go to the Print image)
3a) I have a trackball w/2 buttons - right click & scroll down to "Add image to iPhoto library", click and it takes you to iPhoto where it downloads the image.
3b) With a one button mouse, must hold down the CTRL key, click on the image and scroll down to "Add image to iPhoto library"

I am not using any other program like iPhoto Manager.

I'm on a non-intel Mac Powerbook, Mac OS 10.4.5, iPhoto 6.0.4 and Safari 2.0.3.

Hope this is helpful.

Kaye

Susan Torguson
25 August 2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks much for your great idea! - I appreciate your reply. I did finally notice that the whole iPhoto Manager thread had escaped me. Thanks again. - Sue

Charles Cox
27 August 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the help with census images and iPhoto. Once the image is embedded in the iPhoto Library I am having trouble from within Reunion adding the image to a particular persons card. When I get to the "add item" option in the Multimedia window I have trouble locating the census image in the iPhoto Library again from that point. Got any suggestions for making this process a bit easier. Thanks to all again

Charles

msdebbiep
30 August 2006, 07:42 AM
I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm thinking that it might be.
I've "control-shift-3" to put a pix of the info into JPG (yes, onto desktop).
Then in Reunion I open Multimedia and then drag the image into it.
Then, the information is right there at the name it involves so I can use it for later confirmation...

Hope that makes sense and does it sound like it is a good idea??

New to "sourcing".
Debbie

theKiwi
30 August 2006, 08:48 AM
If the image is on the screen, why not do a right-click or a Control-Click on it (or under Mac OS X 10.4.x at least a Control-Option-click) to save the actual image file rather than making a screenshot of it?

One good reason to do this is that the picture might actualy be named something useful already - the images I get from http://ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk/ have file names like this D1858_731_00_0001Z.TIF which when you understand it means it's a Death Record frm 1858 in Parish number 731 (Cockburnspath), and it's the first page of the Register - this is much more helpful than "Picture 1", "Picture 2", etc etc that Mac OS X names images by default.

Another advantage is that these images from Scotland's People are TIFF images in black and white so are quite small file size - the one I named above is 72 KB for an image that's 2750 x 1472 pixels.

For a look at how I handle such a source, see this page on my site

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I33&tree=Roger

which is for the indivdual the death record mentioned above is for, and this page

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.php?sourceID=S850&tree=Roger

which shows how the source is created and uses the file name as a reference. Each of the fields on that Source page are fields I've created in Reunion's Sources and I have set to display on my source type of "Vital Record".

(Note that for online purposes I've changed the resolution of the image down to 1200 pixels wide and turned it into a GIF file, all of which actually makes it larger than the original 72 KB - the GIF file with 8 colours in it (instead of black and white) is 120 KB)

Hope this Helps

Roger

msdebbiep
30 August 2006, 06:34 PM
thanks Roger!
New to documenting and new to using a MAC (let alone Reunion!!)

that really helps alot

Debbie

Janet Mobley
01 September 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm thinking that it might be.
I've "control-shift-3" to put a pix of the info into JPG (yes, onto desktop).
Then in Reunion I open Multimedia and then drag the image into it.
Then, the information is right there at the name it involves so I can use it for later confirmation...

Hope that makes sense and does it sound like it is a good idea??

New to "sourcing".
Debbie

Debbie,

If you select Command, shift 4 instead of Command, shift 3, you will be able to select just the area you want of your screen instead of the whole screen.

I don't understand why you and others, use iPhoto to save and use your photos in Reunion. I put mine in a folder and put the folder in the Reunion folder. It is easy to get them from there and into Reunion. Then when I want to transfer everything to my PowerBook, I just put the whole Reunion folder onto my pendrive and/or transfer by network from my iMac. Before doing that, I can make any adjustments in Photoshop.

I know some folks save all of their photos in iPhoto. It seems chancey to me as the whole system might go down and they'd lose all of their photos. I save mine first to a folder then keep the ones I want on a separate disc. I only have currant photos that I have just downloaded from my camera to iPhoto.

Janet Larke Mobley in Petaluma, CA
Researching Larke, Robbins, Hardie, Downie

marnen
01 September 2006, 03:52 PM
You're right about Cmd-Sh-4, but I agree with Roger that using the contextual menu to save the image is a better idea than taking a screenshot, particularly if the image is bigger than your screen.

marnen
01 September 2006, 04:51 PM
I know some folks save all of their photos in iPhoto. It seems chancey to me as the whole system might go down and they'd lose all of their photos.
This is no more or less true for iPhoto pictures than for pictures stored anywhere else on the same hard drive. iPhoto does not change the format or location of the pictures it organizes; it just keeps a catalog file with information about the pictures. The pictures themselves remain in their separate files, unchanged.
I save mine first to a folder then keep the ones I want on a separate disc.
That's wise for backup purposes.
I only have currant photos that I have just downloaded from my camera to iPhoto.
Why are you taking photos of raisins...or did you mean current photos? :D

Anyway, there's no reason to remove the shots from iPhoto's catalog as far as I can figure.

Janet Mobley
01 September 2006, 06:22 PM
This is no more or less true for iPhoto pictures than for pictures stored anywhere else on the same hard drive. iPhoto does not change the format or location of the pictures it organizes; it just keeps a catalog file with information about the pictures. The pictures themselves remain in their separate files, unchanged.

That's wise for backup purposes.

Why are you taking photos of raisins...or did you mean current photos? :D

Anyway, there's no reason to remove the shots from iPhoto's catalog as far as I can figure.

Oops! Spellling, arithmetic and parallel parking are my downfalls.

I just don't like to use my iPhoto for storage, I use discs and use iPhoto for current pictures. I edit the photos and then put them into Reunion or wherever they belong.

Janet Larke Mobley

Tom Robinson
01 September 2006, 07:31 PM
This is no more or less true for iPhoto pictures than for pictures stored anywhere else on the same hard drive. iPhoto does not change the format or location of the pictures it organizes; it just keeps a catalog file with information about the pictures.
That may be true of the actual pictures, but all the metadata is specific to iPhoto: any captions or keywords you add (and renaming them?), any folders you sort the photos into...

This means you're pretty stuck with always keeping them in iPhoto. Instead I use the Finder to sort my photos into folders, and GraphicConverter to add any keywords into the metadata (which is stored inside each jpeg/tiff).

Much as I love the look of iPhoto, this means I'm not locked into one application.