PDA

View Full Version : Using FolderShare with Reunion

kepardue
12 August 2006, 03:01 PM
One of the important things to me is that I can take my laptop "into the field" with me to do genealogical research, then have that autmatically be synchronized with the iMac when I get home or have an internet connection.

I use Foldershare to sync the files between my iMac and MacBook. It seems to be working beautifully on nearly all of my files, but when it comes to Reunion family files, instead of syncing properly it replaces the file on the receiving computer with a 'blank page' icon, and tries to open it with a text editor program. I cannot manually open the file with Reunion. Fortunately I made a backup before I had this little experiment.

Has anyone experienced similar? This seems to be a pretty critical issue.

David G. Kanter
12 August 2006, 03:45 PM
I use Foldershare to sync the files between my iMac and MacBook. It seems to be working beautifully on nearly all of my files, but when it comes to Reunion family files, instead of syncing properly it replaces the file on the receiving computer with a 'blank page' icon, and tries to open it with a text editor program. I cannot manually open the file with Reunion.Sounds like the file just lost its Type & Creator codes. See this Answer on a Reunion Web page (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version8/questions/answers/upgradeproblems.php).

As noted in another thread (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=1328), you may find the suggested utility to be a bit buggy under the latest Mac Operating System; but if you don't choose to use the compress-first or, if involved, the reformatting of the transfer media, there are many other utilities that can set/restore Type & Creator codes.

You might also see whether FolderShare has an option that addresses whether it copies both data & resources (which you'd want in this case) or just data.

kepardue
12 August 2006, 07:10 PM
It seems to continually lose the association for only this type of file. Is there any sort of way to automate this instead of having to change the creator codes every time? Is there no way to use a file extension of some sort instead?

theKiwi
13 August 2006, 12:42 AM
I use ChronoSynch to synchronise documents folders between 3 Macs, and the Reunion files do NOT lose their type creator code when done with this, so I'd suggest the problem is in FolderShare maybe?

Roger