PDA

View Full Version : GEDCOM (only part of?)

drlott
12 August 2006, 01:13 PM
A friend sent me pages of info of our family (LOTT) and I was going to hand enter it but instead asked for a GEDCOM.

She writes " I'm having problems with the GEDCOM. It is copying not only my entire Crow-Foster (which includes Lotts), but also the Langvardt and Comfort
files.

Is there a way to copy or send or import only a part of a GEDCOM. I do not know the senders software or computer configurations.
any suggestions?

David G. Kanter
12 August 2006, 03:30 PM
. . .Is there a way to copy or send or import only a part of a GEDCOM. I do not know the senders software or computer configurations.
any suggestions?I suggest you need to know the sender's genealogy software before someone could suggest whether that sender can export a GEDCOM with only a part of their data. (In Reunion, the GEDCOM Export window gives you the choice to "prune" using Marking as well as invoking Privacy Filtering and Exclude Sensitive Data. Of course, if the sender were also using Reunion, you normally wouldn't want a GEDCOM from them, but rather a copy of their Family File which--in the instant case--they would have "pruned" so only the portion of interest remained in the copy.)

theKiwi
13 August 2006, 12:44 AM
What I do in these situations is have them send me their whole file - often that ends up being a Family Treemaker file because they can't figure out how to send a GEDCOM file, and I then use Reunion myself to prune out what I want, then work that over in a separate file and then import that into my main Clan Moffat Society genealogy file.

Roger

drlott
13 August 2006, 05:43 PM
I suggest you need to know the sender's genealogy software before someone could suggest whether that sender can export a GEDCOM with only a part of their data. (In Reunion, the GEDCOM Export window gives you the choice to "prune" using Marking as well as invoking Privacy Filtering and Exclude Sensitive Data. Of course, if the sender were also using Reunion, you normally wouldn't want a GEDCOM from them, but rather a copy of their Family File which--in the instant case--they would have "pruned" so only the portion of interest remained in the copy.)

She has Family Tree Maker Version 11. Please see other suggestion that was posted and thanks.

drlott
13 August 2006, 05:45 PM
What I do in these situations is have them send me their whole file - often that ends up being a Family Treemaker file because they can't figure out how to send a GEDCOM file, and I then use Reunion myself to prune out what I want, then work that over in a separate file and then import that into my main Clan Moffat Society genealogy file.

Roger

That is what she tells me she has Versin 11...so I have asked for the entire GEDCOM figuring I could prune it somehow.
Diane