PDA

View Full Version : Recent changes at Ancestry.com

Rauser
11 August 2006, 12:47 AM
Howdy all,

Have any of the Reunion gang been as put-off by the recent website changes over at Ancestry.com as I have?

Seems to me that their so-called improvements have really busted up the workflow of finding sources by breaking a formerly-single search into several subcategories, all requiring entering duplicate search terms!

Also, the accuracy of their database search engine has really gone downhill with this upgrade IMHO.

Honestly, my usage has dropped considerably since they rolled our their changes. I'm glad that most of my research has already been conducted across their available sources, but I feel sorry for new genealogists just starting and having to contend with that mess...

Janice Roden
11 August 2006, 12:20 PM
I agree, I hate the changes they have made. In my opinion it was MUCH better before. Plus the fact that now when I got to a "page" it loads 2 times, like blink, blink.

They should have left it as it was, and concentrate on putting more data files on line.

Now in my opinion it is much harder to do a search, as you have to do "historical search", "family tree search", etc. Before you could do just ONE search.

Oh well, just my thoughts,

Janice in Dallas

Kim
11 August 2006, 01:14 PM
I have to agree with you. I'm having trouble even finding things I KNOW I've found before!

Tom Robinson
14 August 2006, 05:56 PM
Have any of the Reunion gang been as put-off by the recent website changes over at Ancestry.com as I have?
Is this separate from Ancestry.co.uk then? They're always making changes (and yes, I'd rather they concentrated on improving the quality instead), but I can still easily do my BMD and census searches.

Sarah Dart
16 August 2006, 04:18 AM
Is this separate from Ancestry.co.uk then?
Yes, there are some things that are different on the two sites (like the pay-per-view option on the U.K. site) but as far as I can tell, the new chopping-the-search-into-several-sections is now on both. I also find it annoying to use and my time on ancestry has gone down as a result. Improving the quality of the indexes would have been a better use of their resources (although, to be fair, much more time-consuming).
Sarah

Lorna L. Mansfield
18 August 2006, 05:02 AM

Put-off!!! That's putting it mildly! Sorry, I know folks dislike caps and other signs...but, really I feel as if I'm starting all over again learning how to use the new Ancestry.com changes.

In addition, we pay good money to utilize their system. I don't recall any opportunity to vote about such a radical change.

There is one good thing they did do which was to add the option for me to 'invite' specific people to view my tree including living people. I've chosen to do this twice and the relatives involved have responded positively with updated feedback of current data. But, I'm certain that this option could have been added without any other operating changes.

Lorna

newtonuk
18 August 2006, 05:42 AM
I'm still waiting for the ability to export MY data from MY tree!