PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker to Reunion

Frank Rader
07 August 2006, 01:46 AM
Greetings
At a family Reunion I became the next keeper of computer files. The change will probably happen within 5 years.
The current keeper uses Family Tree Maker and has 49,700 names. I use Reunion, the current version.
Should I:
(1) Get Family Tree Maker? Does it run on Mac? I can Parallel or Bootcamp it.
or
(2) Test using small Gedcoms until it seems to work, then receive a gedcom or coms and run the data in Reunion. I'd run it separate from what I have.
or
(3) Teach my 6.5 year old how to type and enter data and hopes she is finished before she dies.

other?

ttl
07 August 2006, 10:13 AM
(3) Teach my 6.5 year old how to type and enter data and hopes she is finished before she dies.

Hey Frank... I think you're on to something here.

marnen
07 August 2006, 02:33 PM
I'd go with option 2, particularly since you're already using Reunion. I've never tried to import FTM files through GEDCOM, but others have done it. There are many posts on these forums with more information; a search should turn up useful things. Good luck!

Beverly Buchanan
07 August 2006, 08:49 PM
I have just returned from a National Family Reunion and brought home with me a CD with a gedcom file containing over 138,000 names. The keeper of the original file uses a Windows machine and Family Tree Maker. Last night I successfully imported the entire file into Reunion. It took about an hour. I imported it into a "new family file."

This is the 2nd CD/gedcom file he has produced. Several years ago he made one with 126,000 names from his Family Tree Maker program and that one also successfully imported into Reunion, sources and all. I refer to it frequently.

I'm currently using 10.4 and Reunion 8.06. When I imported the first CD, I was using 10.2 and an earlier version of Reunion version 8.

I have imported smaller FTM gedcom files successfully, so my response would be that it can be done. However, I always import these files as new separate files so that I can evaluate the information, but they can then be treated as any Reunion file. (And you may save your daughter a lot of typing).

ttl
07 August 2006, 09:07 PM
To get serious, my personal preference would be to import the data into Reunion. From personal experience, you should pay great attention to ensure the proper transfer of data from fields that are not typically populated (or don't exist as a default field) in Reunion.

If you foresee that being the keeper of the database will be a long term endeavor for you, you probably owe it to yourself to convert things to Reunion. If you're unsure about how long you'll have the responsibility, I hate to say it, but you might consider staying with FTM to forestall any near- to mid-term difficulties in going back to FTM.

If you do convert to Reunion, I'd suggest you keep the data as free of Reunion-specific artifacts (such as child status) as possible in deference to your very large family which probably would benefit from keeping the data in lowest common denominator condition for purposes of sharing and future potential transfers.