PDA

View Full Version : Very curious...

KeriAnnB
06 August 2006, 10:06 PM
Hello all, I just joined these forums and I'm curious - I was just going through the "oldest relative" thread and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they are related to anyone famous or (in my case) infamous?

I just think it's fascinating because my mother's father swore until his dying day that we were related to Jimmy Hoffa...come to find out with all of my research - we are! My great-grandfather (mother's side) & Jimmy Hoffa's mother are first cousins - making his great-grandfather my 3G-grandfather. I just love it and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they're related to anyone famous/infamous.

jane in l.a.
07 August 2006, 06:26 PM
Hello all, I just joined these forums and I'm curious - I was just going through the "oldest relative" thread and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they are related to anyone famous or (in my case) infamous?

I just think it's fascinating because my mother's father swore until his dying day that we were related to Jimmy Hoffa...come to find out with all of my research - we are! My great-grandfather (mother's side) & Jimmy Hoffa's mother are first cousins - making his great-grandfather my 3G-grandfather. I just love it and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they're related to anyone famous/infamous.My parents always told us we were related to Jesse James... it wasn't until I was in my 30s and doing genealogy that I found out we were -- but it was my dad's brother, Jesse James DART. Oh well!

I did find that Charlemagne "Charles the Great" CAROLINGIAN was my 37th gr-grandfather, King Henry of England (1207-1272) was my 22nd gr-grandfather. Still haven't gotten Christmas cards from any of that bunch, though.

Joanne Lussier
07 August 2006, 06:44 PM
I am descended from Jean Nicolet. Not exactly a recognizable name to most people, but when doing my research, I googled his name and found tons of information about him in Wisconsin historical papers. It seems he is considered to be the first European to have explored upper Michigan and Wisconsin. There is a high school named after him, as well as a river, a town and a county in Quebec. I thought that was pretty neat. Ya gotta love the internet!!!

Joanna Ashmun
07 August 2006, 07:46 PM
Hi KeriAnn,

As you go along, you'll find out that you are related a lot of notable people -- presidents, royalty, scoundrels, actors, authors, inventors, criminals, heroes, etc. -- if you want to trace distant cousins. I'm descended from two of Daniel Boone's brothers, so he was my 7g uncle twice, and Mary White Rowlandson was 8g grandmother. If you have colonial lines (and I assume you do), I've read that you'll be related within the 9th degree to something like 40% of Americans. I keep a list of notables related to my daughter, and it's really all over the place!!

You might be interested in New England Historic Genealogy Society's Notable Kin website -- http://www.notablekin.org/ -- and some of Gary Boyd Roberts's articles at NEHGS on American descents: http://www.newenglandancestors.org/education/articles/research/special_guests/gary_boyd_roberts/gbr_mainpage.asp

WilliamTaber
07 August 2006, 07:49 PM
I just love it and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they're related to anyone famous/infamous.

Both President Bush's, as well as Laura (Welch) Bush, and FDR are distant cousins of mine. I'll leave to individual opinions to judge if they were famous or infamous.

kmuch
07 August 2006, 09:47 PM
Hello all, I just joined these forums and I'm curious - I was just going through the "oldest relative" thread and I'm wondering if anyone here has found that they are related to anyone famous or (in my case) infamous?It depends on what you mean by "famous". I'm related to a bunch of colonial magnates who are well-known to historians but not always to U.S.-educated folks of recent generations. I also descend directly from Christopher Barker (1529-1599), Queen's Printer, who was quite famous in his day but not so much anymore. His son Robert Barker, my multi-great uncle, was the publisher of the King James Bible, which makes him famous in publishing and religious circles.

I'm not counting royalty and aristocracy, as so many people are related to them and a great many royal lines are dubious at best.

Kathleen Much

TIA
09 August 2006, 01:18 PM
I'm a direct descendant of Benedict Arnold, who was the first Governor of Rhode Island under the charter of King Charles the II. He is my 9th great- grandfather. Hence I am also related to Benedict Arnold, the traitor, but he is not on my dirct line.

msdebbiep
29 August 2006, 08:24 PM
I just posted a comment about researching my family name when I realized that instead of pouting I should be celebrating.
Am I famous? Must be - I keep tracing the ROSWELL name to ALIENS !!!!
So there, Adam and Eve!!

Debbie Roswell

Steve W. Jackson
30 August 2006, 06:57 PM
I just posted a comment about researching my family name when I realized that instead of pouting I should be celebrating.
Am I famous? Must be - I keep tracing the ROSWELL name to ALIENS !!!!
So there, Adam and Eve!!

Debbie Roswell
But...Roswell was where the aliens "crashed", so it was there before the aliens came! :)

= Steve =
(Native of Roswell)