PDA

View Full Version : Tracking residences

jailerjoe
05 August 2006, 03:21 PM
I need opinions on how to handle residences. My confusion is on how/when to enter a residence. For example, my grandfather was born and lived for a time in Brainerd Minnesota. Would this be a residence for my grandfather or for my great grand father (and his wife, of course) or both (family)? Is there a standard for entering data for residences?

As technology allows us to become much more mobile than our ancestors, residence becomes more of a headache to track, at least to me. For my immediate family (mom & dad and my siblings) alone, we have 6 residences in common and over 25 where you can mix and match depending on the year (my closest sibling is 5 year older than me so my two brothers and one sister share some common residences that I don't).

So, I'm looking for ideas and opinions on how to handle this situation. Does one list every single residence for each individual or do you do it by family? I'm inclined to track residences by family, but this presents it's own problem.

Opinions and ideas greatly appreciated!

Joe

idfitter
06 August 2006, 05:36 PM
I track residences on an individual basis because children leave home at different times, so to hold them to the family residence would be wrong.

Every time a person is born, appears on a census, gets married, or dies, I log the residence at that time and it builds a picture of their individual movements.

marnen
07 August 2006, 02:35 PM
Excellent idea. I may start doing that.

durandjk
07 August 2006, 06:22 PM
I also track things like the census, moving, etc. on an individual basis. Kind of a pain to do so when there's 7 kids, but I'm sure glad I did later on.

Julie

AE Palmer
07 August 2006, 07:27 PM
I need opinions on how to handle residences.

// cut //

Joe

As annoying as it is to enter each residence for each individual, it offers the most comprehensive picture of what happened to each person.

As for my own ancestry, I am very lucky to have a portion extremely well documented via city directories - from 1844 to now! That is 162 years of documentation. With that amount of data, I can plot moves on a year-to-year basis and have found dozens of relationships I would have otherwise missed!

Being anal does pay dividends on occasion.

MabryBenson
07 August 2006, 07:36 PM
You could make a Note called Residences. And then put in all the locations & dates as text. A Note can go on as long as you want, so you can just keep adding/inserting as you find more.

This is how I handle Census, Probate, Land, Military - anything that has words. I prefer to save Events for something that happens at an exact time, like birth or death. And I don't even bother with Facts.

There is no standard, just what works for you.

martha
08 August 2006, 03:39 AM

Every time a person is born, appears on a census, gets married, or dies, I log the residence at that time and it builds a picture of their individual movements.

I create a new residence field every time I find a residence mentioned, on any source. On the censuses, even though it is evident that an infant is living with its parents, I create a residence field for every child mentioned. Also, in the memo field, I add who else that individual might be living with. By not taking that into consideration, I might have missed new immigrant cousins who were formerly unknown to me. I cannot tell you how many times researching those people has led me to extended family!

Martha
http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Kate McCain
08 August 2006, 08:35 AM
I need opinions on how to handle residences. My confusion is on how/when to enter a residence. For example, my grandfather was born and lived for a time in Brainerd Minnesota. Would this be a residence for my grandfather or for my great grand father (and his wife, of course) or both (family)? Is there a standard for entering data for residences?

As technology allows us to become much more mobile than our ancestors, residence becomes more of a headache to track, at least to me. For my immediate family (mom & dad and my siblings) alone, we have 6 residences in common and over 25 where you can mix and match depending on the year (my closest sibling is 5 year older than me so my two brothers and one sister share some common residences that I don't).

So, I'm looking for ideas and opinions on how to handle this situation. Does one list every single residence for each individual or do you do it by family? I'm inclined to track residences by family, but this presents it's own problem.

Joe

I have tended to keep this information in my notes field as an informal timeline. Baseline information -- I have the address/location listed for every census record by decade (e.g. 1851--living with wife and children (XXX, XXX) at....),. These entries are interspersed with intermediate dates/locations from family records, letters, newspaper articles, etc. It's interesting to see how people moved around frequently even within the same district of the same city in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Kate McCain